GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 03-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #15
ThunderPig
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI
Why is the one coupler blue? Mine is black. Personal choice?
ThunderPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:18 AM   #16
leslie
Oval Champion

Drives: vw golf gti mk6 dsg
i dont know..i got it like that..i bought me an black one already on..
forge dv..forge twin cooler.
leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:55 AM   #17
Pissed rabbit
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 United Silver GTI DSG
Send a message via AIM to Pissed rabbit
Thats awesome Leslie!!! It looks great and very clean.
Pissed rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #18
Randum
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 GTI, 2017 Q5
hopefully this doesn't derail the topic too much, but I know we have discussed the ECU flash and potential impact on warranty- now about a CAI- as for the warranty- will this void your drivetrain warranty since its actual hardware modification? OR does this follow the same rules as the ECU- you have to prove without a doubt the intake destroyed whatever is wrong in the car?

Just curious....but this is definitely looking like a nice upgrade! Any word on how hard this is to install yourself? I am pretty intimidated by the engine compartment in my car compared to my last one...so clean and everything is so tightly packed together....
Randum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:57 PM   #19
Arin@APR

Drives: B8 S4 & MK5 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randum View Post
hopefully this doesn't derail the topic too much, but I know we have discussed the ECU flash and potential impact on warranty- now about a CAI- as for the warranty- will this void your drivetrain warranty since its actual hardware modification? OR does this follow the same rules as the ECU- you have to prove without a doubt the intake destroyed whatever is wrong in the car?
It technically will not void the warranty but the dealer may decide they don't want to work on the car simply because they have to involve extra labor not written in the VW instruction guides. That being said, the carbonio intake is easier to remove than the OEM unit in my opinion so I doubt you'll run into any issues. With the carbonio stage 1 unit we also do not replace the maf housing or put any major bends directly infront of it. This means air will still be properly metered, so the chance of any errors or problems related to the carbonio intake are pretty much 0. Over all, I do not believe you'll have any issues.

On more note, if you do take the car in for service or warranty work that would normally require removal of the intake its not a bad idea to just reinstall the stock intake. This not really to hide the intake from the dealership so much as to make their job easier as it will be exactly what they expect to see under the hood.
Arin@APR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:06 PM   #20
DawnsKayBug
FIA GT Champion

Drives: Nürburgringed
If VW gave you free airfilters then it could by law void your warranty. Since they dont as long as the filter is up to VW specs your good. Moss Magnuson act or something
DawnsKayBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:46 AM   #21
leslie
Oval Champion

Drives: vw golf gti mk6 dsg
i took my car to vw for its first 15 ooo km service and i took off the INTAKE because its such a good product its easy to take off and put back 15 min.max

vw told me that i could change the exhaust after the cats and do the map because they cant pick it up...but i have to have the vw standard air filter in my car...
forge dv..forge twin cooler.
leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:33 AM   #22
iHeartEuro
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2010 CW GTi
Many dealerships will try to scare you off by saying that you lost your warranty since you have a CAI. But like with any other mod on the car, first you need to have a problem, second they need to prove the problem was caused by an after market part.

My personal suggestion (from experience), if you get your Vee-Dub serviced at an official dealership - just take off the cai in order to avoid an hour of bitching from them...

I service my car at a VW-specialized shop, not dealership. They do better work, they provide better service, they use ONLY VW approved parts/oil/everything else and they charge less
Old 04-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #23
hugoender
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: MK6GTI-CW-4Dr-DSG-Xenon-18"-Sunroof
Are there detailed instructions online on how to install this Stage 1 and/or Stage 2 Carbonio intake? I could not find any on APR's site (which is weird since they have instructions for their other products).
hugoender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #24
hugoender
Rally Car Newbie

Also, is there a significant difference between Stage 1 Carbonio and Stage 2? Does that extra pipe really do anything apart from look cool? Details on performance difference and why there are differences would be appreciated.

I guess my main question is: Is there a point to buy one without the other? If I get a Stage 1 Intake should I just get the Stage 2 as well? Will the Stage 1 intake by itself make any significant difference?

Last edited by hugoender; 04-08-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #25
Arin@APR

Drives: B8 S4 & MK5 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugoender View Post
Also, is there a significant difference between Stage 1 Carbonio and Stage 2? Does that extra pipe really do anything apart from look cool? Details on performance difference and why there are differences would be appreciated.

I guess my main question is: Is there a point to buy one without the other? If I get a Stage 1 Intake should I just get the Stage 2 as well? Will the Stage 1 intake by itself make any significant difference?
Stage 2 pipe is only a slight increase. Its mainly for looks which is why we split up the system for those who want power and for those who want full power + looks.
Arin@APR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #26
hugoender
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arin@APR View Post
Stage 2 pipe is only a slight increase. Its mainly for looks which is why we split up the system for those who want power and for those who want full power + looks.
So the real performance comes from the Stage 1 Carbonio? I actually though it would come from the Stage 2 pipe.

Can you explain exactly how it is that the Stage 1 Carbonio is able to increase performance over the stock intake? Isn't it just a filter replacement or is there something more? Details would be fantastic.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #27
Carbonio
Go Kart Champion

Drives: Whatever is in the shop
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugoender View Post
Can you explain exactly how it is that the Stage 1 Carbonio is able to increase performance over the stock intake? Isn't it just a filter replacement or is there something more? Details would be fantastic.
We could tell you but then we would have to kill you

Seriously the Stage 1 intake addresses a number of issues that the OEM intake and none of our competitors currently do. Its shape, material selection, and filter are all optomized for the application. For proof APR ran tests with no airbox and LOST power while made huge power with the carbon fiber part.
Carbonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:49 PM   #28
Randum
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 GTI, 2017 Q5
Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie View Post
i took my car to vw for its first 15 ooo km service and i took off the INTAKE because its such a good product its easy to take off and put back 15 min.max

vw told me that i could change the exhaust after the cats and do the map because they cant pick it up...but i have to have the vw standard air filter in my car...
So you have to put in the stock airbox? Is this for the specific dealer or just a VW thing in general? I know the place out here is an authorized APR dealer...
Randum is offline   Reply With Quote