GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Build date was over a year older than my delivery date?

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
Guys, need your thoughts here.... I checked my car's build date near the door and got 06/12. I assume June 2012.

But I bought my "brand new" car with less than 30 miles in Sept 2013 as a 2013 model!!! That's like 15 months since the car was built! Is that even possible?

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Sure it is possible, but no way to know why. Make sure to check the tensioner since you now have a 2012 build.

Just enjoy your car the build date means nothing at this time. When you bought it the build date could have been a bargaining point, but that ship has sailed.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
2019 Tiguans & Jettas are out already, and it's still 2018 (same scenario)

So your car was produced (early?) and then sat around on the lot for a year before you scooped it up

zrickety

The Fixer
Yeah, I wouldn't sweat this detail. Just expect to replace the battery early...

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
When I plugged my VIN into the website, it shows as "No Match Found".

https://www.timingchainlitigation.com/CheckVIN

But I'm still worried.

From what I gather since your car is titled as a 2013 you & I miss out on this warranty extension. I'm going to have mine inspected at 60K or so just to be proactive & catch anything wonky early. It's not cheap to have this done, but it is way cheaper than waiting for the valves to crash into the pistons.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
From what I gather since your car is titled as a 2013 you & I miss out on this warranty extension. I'm going to have mine inspected at 60K or so just to be proactive & catch anything wonky early. It's not cheap to have this done, but it is way cheaper than waiting for the valves to crash into the pistons.

Well, it shouldn't be by YEAR... It should be by the defective parts that were put into the car (timing tensioner). So if we have the old tensioner, regardless of year, we should have been covered.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Well, it shouldn't be by YEAR... It should be by the defective parts that were put into the car (timing tensioner). So if we have the old tensioner, regardless of year, we should have been covered.

I don't think they're basing it specifically on the model year....VW would know if it was defective or not

The engine build date could be different than your car's production date, for example, and I would believe they're basing it on that
They keep track of what's used on the production line

On that note, have you inspected to see which tensioner you have? ;)

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
I don't think they're basing it specifically on the model year....VW would know if it was defective or not

The engine build date could be different than your car's production date, for example, and I would believe they're basing it on that
They keep track of what's used on the production line

On that note, have you inspected to see which tensioner you have? ;)

No, not yet... But believe me as soon as I'm done playing with the brakes, I'll put it up on my lift and check for myself.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Mine is like this too... 06/10 is the build date stamped on the black sticker, while my GTI is a 2011...