GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alice the GTD

andy6611661

Passed Driver's Ed
01 May 2014

RCD510 just arrived. All installed and working well. Only thing to point out is that the removal of the hands free kit has left a bit of a panel gap, and a few of the clips were broken when I removed the face around the radio. So may need to replace that in the future. Also needs a good clean down!

USB to be fitted at a later stage (hasn't arrived yet).

Cheers.

York_GTi

Passed Driver's Ed
Looking good:w00t:

andy6611661

Passed Driver's Ed
Looking good:w00t:

Looks brilliant mate! its all building up!

Cheers guys, dead happy with the progress so far. Not too much has really happened but when the wheels are done I will start to think about lowering her. Also need to start on some engine stuff. Not much but definitely exhaust, intake and remap.

andy6611661

Passed Driver's Ed
02 May 2014

Of course this comes the day after the radio fit...

USB port, allows full iPod connection to the RCD510 since the media in wasn't working after changing up to the RCD510, had heard about these problems before, so this was a handy fix.

Broke another clip on the radio surround. Gonna have to replace it. Anyone any idea of the part number or price from VW?

Cheers.

afctom

Ready to race!
Making good progress mate, touchscreen makes such a massive difference to the interior of these cars. After a RNS510 myself but struggling to justify £800 + for a decent one!

York_GTi

Passed Driver's Ed
Making good progress mate, touchscreen makes such a massive difference to the interior of these cars. After a RNS510 myself but struggling to justify £800 + for a decent one!

£800 sounds high, unless you are wanting one with a DAB radio?

I sold my nearly new version P recently with V10 maps included for £430 and that was on eBay. People on the various forums thought it was too expensive (I'm guessing that as it didn't sell), hence the auction sale.

afctom

Ready to race!
£800 sounds high, unless you are wanting one with a DAB radio?

I sold my nearly new version P recently with V10 maps included for £430 and that was on eBay. People on the various forums thought it was too expensive (I'm guessing that as it didn't sell), hence the auction sale.

Yeh I'm looking to get a 2014 version with DAB. Apparently the older versions were very slow? Might give DAB a miss though, don't want a big beesting antenna or one that sticks on the windscreen, so may just get a standard one.

York_GTi

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine was a 2013 Version P, so far from slow:)

Get yourself an RCD510 instead. A 6 CD changer and to my ears better sound quality too. They can be picked up easily for under £200 used, a little more if you want the DAB version.

You are right about the DAB aerial, although you can get ones that stick on your windscreen.

andy6611661

Passed Driver's Ed
Was after an RNS myself but then decided I didn't really need the sat nav. It would be a bonus but not a necessity as I'd never really use it.

My RCD510 was a genuine part from China, apparently removed straight from a car before it was sold, or so they say. But it all looked pretty genuine to me and I'm dead happy with it, and it was £100, and £13 for the USB cable and plug. I can also plug parking sensors and reverse image if I want to upgrade that too!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

afctom

Ready to race!
Why did you sell it mate?

All these different versions are unbelievably confusing! Do you really think that the RNS510's sound quality isn't as good?! To be honest I wouldn't use the satnav much either, but it looks just that bit better having 4 buttons on either side of the screen!

Andy thats an incredible price.... might have to reconsider this lol

andy6611661

Passed Driver's Ed

All these different versions are unbelievably confusing! Do you really think that the RNS510's sound quality isn't as good?! To be honest I wouldn't use the satnav much either, but it looks just that bit better having 4 buttons on either side of the screen!

I agree with the 4 buttons myself. Looks cleaner.

And yeah cheap as anything. Search on ebay and then have a good hoke around the different versions and sellers to make sure you are getting what you want and an actual genuine product! I have a years warranty that covers everything as long as the seal isn't broken, and there was an option to add another 2 years for £25 but didn't take that.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

York_GTi

Passed Driver's Ed

You just need to do some research on the versions of the RNS510 mate, there is loads of stuff on the various forums about them. Generally, all versions after C are the LED screens and therefore clearer. The key is to buy the most recent you can, plus with the newest maps (currently version 10 I believe) and you can't go far wrong.

There is also the RNS315 unit, with built in bluetooth, but has a smaller screen.

I sold it to part fund my last holiday! The car came with an RCD510, which I loved as I only use CD's and appreciated the changer built in. I bought the RNS510, but never used the sat nav function and noticed a drop in sound quality too. Unfortunately, I had sold the original RCD510, so bought another identical unit, for £150. All good:thumbsup:

afctom

Ready to race!
You just need to do some research on the versions of the RNS510 mate, there is loads of stuff on the various forums about them. Generally, all versions after C are the LED screens and therefore clearer. The key is to buy the most recent you can, plus with the newest maps (currently version 10 I believe) and you can't go far wrong.

There is also the RNS315 unit, with built in bluetooth, but has a smaller screen.

I sold it to part fund my last holiday! The car came with an RCD510, which I loved as I only use CD's and appreciated the changer built in. I bought the RNS510, but never used the sat nav function and noticed a drop in sound quality too. Unfortunately, I had sold the original RCD510, so bought another identical unit, for £150. All good:thumbsup:

Cheers mate. Guess I need to sit down and do some proper research on it. What do you make of this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261428035944?ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1427.l2649 - Do you not think it's worth that for just a headunit? Had my eye on an RNS510 before I even got my car, so think I'll have to go for one. Bit worried that you mention a drop in sound quality though.

Also sorry for clogging up your thread Andy mate, seems this is the only place I can find people from the UK on here haha.