GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the DQ250 DSG & S tronic TCU Upgrade!

DarianBx3

Ready to race!
I don't mean to be a complainer, I really am satisfied with APR and their products. I was SO satisfied with the Stage I in fact, that I IMMEDIATELY went and purchased APR MOBILE, the intake, and sway bars. This kind of customer satisfaction is rare in any market! But APR mobile doesn't even seem like an official APR product to me. And I'm not talking about the dongle, I'm talking about the app. There are entire, billion dollar companies built solely off of apps. APR definitely has the money to put whatever needs to be put behind this app. They just don't want to. They don't see it as an opportunity worth investing in. At least that's the vibe I get. Spice up the app development team. Triple the size. Do whatever it takes. I think there are TONS more people interested in this than APR realizes. And the people whom are not interested, just don't see how cool it can be.

So tell me what I need to do. Spend more? Code it myself? If you guys don't see the endless possibilities here, I do. Can we get an API? Beta test? Alpha test?

I hope some of you are in the same boat as me.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, APR Mobile is good. I don't want my money back. I just want it to be great. Just like every other APR product.

Last edited:

speedster

Go Kart Champion
I don't mean to be a complainer, I really am satisfied with APR and their products. I was SO satisfied with the Stage I in fact, that I IMMEDIATELY went and purchased APR MOBILE, the intake, and sway bars. This kind of customer satisfaction is rare in any market! but APR mobile doesn't even seem like an official APR product to me. And I'm not talking about the dongle, I'm talking about the app. Here in 2014, there are entire, billion dollar companies built solely off of apps. APR definitely has the money to put whatever needs to be put behind this app. They just don't want to. They don't see it as an opportunity worth investing in. At least that's the vibe I get.

So tell me what I need to do. Spend more? Code it myself? If you guys don't see the endless possibilities here, I do. Can we get an API? Beta test? Alpha test?

Edit: Don't get me wrong, APR Mobile is good. I don't want my money back. I just want it to be great. Just like every other APR product.

They do. It just takes time to develop. Don't worry. It'll get released soon enough and then everyone can complain about it :)

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I got mine for the hope of future additions to it and not the current basic form. It's taking longer than expected though. Five months later and nothing added. But there's still hope - the team have been distracted with other things it seems.

speedster

Go Kart Champion

Lodi

Go Kart Champion
i agree. thats why i have learned how to work around it with my competitors DSG tune. when my cross street stoplight turns from orange to red, i let my foot off the brake. that way, in the 1 second my light turns green, the DSG hesitation is complete and my foot simply launches the car immediately. Takes careful timing to not start rolling too early. additionally at stop signs, i first release the brake, then wait 1/2 a second to hit the gas. makes for an immediate take-off.

I've learned to do this as well. Any time I'm going to be accelerating from a stop, I let off of the brake and wait a second or so before using the accelerator. I anticipate lights just like you said. It's still super annoying!

Auto hold works fine for me. I don't really notice a lag. Push the gas pedal and go.

That's not quite the delay he was referring to. The problematic delay is the rolling stop delay. If you roll up to a stop and slow to 2 or 3 mph (or even faster if you're coming from an onramp and let the DSG downshift itself at 1000 RPM) but not a complete stop, the transmission ends up in neutral and hesitates, for what feels like forever, before selecting either 1st or 2nd and taking off again. I've had this happen in traffic where the delay was borderline unsafe.

^^This. Once fully stopped, taking off really isn't much an issue for me. I know the lag you guys are referring to, and yes, it's quite easily overcome by keeping an eye on the lights, or simply easing onto the throttle more smoothly, and releasing the brake a bit early.

That rolling stop issue doe...:mad0259:

I know exactly what you're talking about. There's really two distinct yet related "issues" in regards to throttle delay. One is when starting from a stop, and the other is when you get on the throttle during a rolling stop. Both are annoying, and one is dangerous (like you mentioned).

I almost always drive in M mode, and I still encounter the delay you're speaking of periodically, even when I purposefully shift into first or second to try and "prepare" the car for acceleration.

That's the biggest problem ATM though. There really is no way to "prepare" the trans for acceleration when you're in that situation, once the car decides it should be in neutral, there's no telling it differently...

I don't get the one from a rolling stop... Maybe never noticed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duuude. If you haven't gotten it yet, you will definitely "notice" it when you do.

I know this feeling, I'm 6mt. When I'm in first, coasting somewhat (partial throttle just enough to maintain speed) I have to hit the gas in anticipation of moving. Sometimes when my window to move closes (I'm in a parking lot and someone walks out in front of me), it can get dangerous as the car will suddenly pick up speed when I should be on the brake already.

It feels like the ECU is trying to ease into the torque to help protect the driveline (whether DSG or 6mt). Though, that "ease into" could be anything but steady. :iono:

I hear mounts can help this.

This I would blame partially on turbo lag, but more on drive-by-wire.

You guys should stop doing rolling stops. I have so many friends who got tickets for that reason. As a bonus you'll get faster acceleration too ;)

As mentioned, we're not talking specifically about roll-throughs at stop signs. Myself, I run into this issue most when a red light turns green at the very last second on approach, or when I want to make a left through traffic, or a right-on-red into traffic...

What I'm asking for is this: when slowing down and the transmission is auto-downshifting in M mode, keep at least one gear partially engaged with the clutches all the time, until I reach zero speed. The clutch pressure could be very low, and there could be plenty of slip to allow the engine RPMs to stay around 1200 RPM or so even as the car slows down. This way, when I press the gas again in the rolling stop, the clutch pressure can increase quickly and in concert with the ECU opening the throttle plate.

^^This.

Yeah, you shouldn't have any lag except from dead stops. Or if you downshift to 1st while crawling. I just leave it in 2nd and it takes off.

The car will only stay in second for so long though. It's after it decides 2nd is too high, and maybe 1st is too low, that the adventures begin...

Hah, to be completely honest this "lag" has caused me to come to complete stops at stop signs almost 100% of the time. Most of the time this issue presents itself for me when I'm slowing down to make a left-hand turn across traffic. I've had instances where I've almost come to a stop and there's a sudden break in on-coming traffic. I then push down a bit on the throttle to make the turn, and the car just sits there with the clutch disengaged. By the time the DSG catches up I'm in danger of getting hit by oncoming traffic.

Been there, done that...

I haven't noticed much of a difference with the tune to be honest. I can notice the pedal dictating power more which is nice. In S mode, it is MUCH more responsive. I noticed that kickdown has been completely removed. When I floor it in S, it does the same thing as hitting the kickdown. In d, its just one gear down.

Manual mode moves with purpose. I think the TCU now detects when I'm driving more aggressively and adjusts.

All of these things are subtle. I wonder what happens if I switch to stock map... Because the cruise control stalk isn't connected to the TCU... Just the ecu.

Disclaimer, I have only had DSG for a month.

To you and any others that have had APR's DSG tune for a while, did you have them turn off the automatic downshift in M when programming?

I assume it still gears down eventually to avoid a stall, but how low does it let the rpm's drop?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
I don't mean to be a complainer, I really am satisfied with APR and their products. I was SO satisfied with the Stage I in fact, that I IMMEDIATELY went and purchased APR MOBILE, the intake, and sway bars. This kind of customer satisfaction is rare in any market! But APR mobile doesn't even seem like an official APR product to me. And I'm not talking about the dongle, I'm talking about the app. There are entire, billion dollar companies built solely off of apps. APR definitely has the money to put whatever needs to be put behind this app. They just don't want to. They don't see it as an opportunity worth investing in. At least that's the vibe I get. Spice up the app development team. Triple the size. Do whatever it takes. I think there are TONS more people interested in this than APR realizes. And the people whom are not interested, just don't see how cool it can be.

Out the gate there were a few requirements:

- high speed logging
- program switching
- lock/unlock and anti theft
- fault codes

We have people working on adding new functionality to the app. It's not an overnight process when we're dealing with so many vehicles and platforms across the world.

pgreene1

Ready to race!
It still downshifts to prevent a stall.

Arin,

Does APR have any comments on the lag issue we've been discussing? I figure if anyone would know how to prevent or minimize it, it would be you guys. My fear is that it can't be eliminated without endangering the DSG transmission.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Getting this done on Tuesday. Arin,do I need to specify then to my tuner or to APR ahead of time, on what I want for the tune as far as removing kickdown, etc?

^ as for "lag issue", is this the standard thing all stock cars have, or are you saying the DSG tune has additional lag?

pgreene1

Ready to race!
^ as for "lag issue", is this the standard thing all stock cars have, or are you saying the DSG tune has additional lag?

It's a combination of VW's laggy drive-by-wire and the DSG acting weird in 1st gear. See all of the posts on pages 4 and 5 for details.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
ah, I'd just either do a complete stop then or downshift to 2nd with the paddles and then roll through.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Would be willing to do a full long written review of software with videos...if apr would like to shoot me free software.

Will pass reviews on to local audi/vw members at meets.

Got your apr stage 1 tune and intake.
Worth a shot right? :thumbsup: