GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the 2.0 TSI ECU Update (Version 2.0!)

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Ugh these DSG updates are making me nervous for the update next week when I go in. Anyone with the DSG tune have any comments after a few days/run cycles? I'm opting for both updates as I have stage I ECU and stage I DSG already, jus the "old" versions. Really hoping manual mode isn't ruined, it's one of the only reasons I still have DSG and haven't sold it for a manual yet, haha

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Thank you for all the praise and feedback. I'm extremely impressed with our calibration teams work on this new tune. This one was Tyler's baby - he even bought his own MK6 so he could live in it for roughly a year with the tune to refine it daily. Anyways, our calibrators put a lot of work into this and we're watching all listening to your feedback, good, bad, or otherwise. :)

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Ugh these DSG updates are making me nervous for the update next week when I go in. Anyone with the DSG tune have any comments after a few days/run cycles? I'm opting for both updates as I have stage I ECU and stage I DSG already, jus the "old" versions. Really hoping manual mode isn't ruined, it's one of the only reasons I still have DSG and haven't sold it for a manual yet, haha

I have the same as you. I'll let you know how time treats it. Need more testing today as well as moving from a stop.
As you know, I spoke of this since July last year. Without hearing anything back could only hope and think it was specific boxcode & version related.
D mode is fine and good.
I need to drive S more - the down shift of 4-3 seemed to buck a bit but rarely use S but it should be smooth.
Manual mode jerks/hesitates the car on all upshifts under any amount of boost (not needing high load). If changing under no throttle or coming off throttle there is an increased delay in shifting speed - like a normal automatics delay.
Have done the clearing of codes and vcds reset/calibration. Am fine to consider time needed for it diminish - not sure though why manual mode only shows the shifting issues.
The tune certainly is great and a big improvement - just want to be able to use manual shifts.

pgreene1

Ready to race!
Thank you for all the praise and feedback. I'm extremely impressed with our calibration teams work on this new tune. This one was Tyler's baby - he even bought his own MK6 so he could live in it for roughly a year with the tune to refine it daily. Anyways, our calibrators put a lot of work into this and we're watching all listening to your feedback, good, bad, or otherwise. :)

Thanks Arin! And please thank Tyler and everyone else at APR that worked on this tune. I think everyone on the forums really appreciates the hard work that goes into this kind of update.

I'm very happy / excited about the additional power but the DSG issues are really bothering me. I know you and Sean have said that the DSG will adapt over time but will the shifting be as smooth as it was before? Or will M mode stay somewhat jerky ?

st0w

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm very happy / excited about the additional power but the DSG issues are really bothering me. I know you and Sean have said that the DSG will adapt over time but will the shifting be as smooth as it was before? Or will M mode stay somewhat jerky ?

Just to add another voice to the issues, I'm seeing these same issues in M mode. I had not been a huge user of M mode before the update, but with all the recent talk I've been using it more. For the most part, I really enjoy it and it reminds me of why I only used to buy manual cars.

But the jerkiness really is very pronounced with some of the shifts. It feels like the car just falls flat on its face for 0.5-1 second and then finally catches up. I think this describes it best:

mjwolff35 said:
Almost like the motor is rev matching at the wrong rpm and when the clutch engages is slips until the revs match the speed of the car and then it will pull. I can't tell if the transmission is relearning or if the tune has changed things for the worse.

I will say, other than the manual jerkiness, the update is amazing. The car pulls incredibly, and the power delivery is so smooth that I've often caught myself glancing down at the speedo and realizing I'm already over 100mph without even realizing. Oops.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Thanks Arin! And please thank Tyler and everyone else at APR that worked on this tune. I think everyone on the forums really appreciates the hard work that goes into this kind of update.

Will do! Most of what we have seen will clear and get better with a few drive cycles. If I'm not mistaken, much of that is D and S mode related. However, the M mode only complaint: for clarification, this is only when the DSG is tuned? Was it present on the previous ecu version? Let us know!

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
For myself, I have the DSG tuned so cant say about without it. Had the DSG tune at the beta tune last year too. Others without would need to report on that.
There was no such issues with shifting on the previous ecu v1.2 version or with vw stock software or with beta tune put in stock mode.
The ecu beta and final release introduced the problems. I gave this feedback july/august last year.
It did not improve with time.

st0w

Passed Driver's Ed
However, the M mode only complaint: for clarification, this is only when the DSG is tuned? Was it present on the previous ecu version? Let us know!

My TCU is not currently tuned, although I'm going to be doing it before the current sale period is over. Just waiting for some funds to clear! Previous ECU tune was Stage 1, unsure of version number but it was flashed in 8/2014. I can PM you VIN if you need it to check prior tune rev. I never noticed the behavior previously, but I wasn't a very heavy M mode user so I don't think my feedback on pre-stage 2 v2.0 is going to be helpful.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Arin give the new guy a K04 kit so he can give us the best tune that we need so much.

We're doing that now. Do you have the latest? Jamie was responsible for the K04 and he got basically everything out of it he could without letting it surge or getting risky. He and Tyler, as well as Chas and Eric are a pretty solid team. It's common for calibrators to be really secretive about their work, but our primary calibration team sits in a group and shares what they learn and discover with each other. Each calibration they make comes with a tuning rational check list that shows everything changed and why it was changed. It really helps get the team fully up to speed with each other's knowledge, and they do like to challenge each other at times to see if one can one-up the other's work. I'm sure if I asked them if they could improve what's already released, they would say yes, but I'm fairly confident they would be tweaking the Nth detail that makes no real noticeable difference to the driver. :)

Shapin

Passed Driver's Ed
Hope ill soon have it, alot of my friends have that tune.
The v3.4 for the Tfsi feels better and more mature then the v2.1 for the tsi.
Hope we will get a great update like that one.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Will do! Most of what we have seen will clear and get better with a few drive cycles. If I'm not mistaken, much of that is D and S mode related. However, the M mode only complaint: for clarification, this is only when the DSG is tuned? Was it present on the previous ecu version? Let us know!

Interesting, now I'm wondering if the M glitch is TCU tune related at all. Can anyone chime in with updated results of DSG behavior with just the ECU tune? Has M mode smoothed out? Then I'll just stay on the current DSG tune if that'll help. I'm scheduled for next Tuesday and I'm getting really nervous about the updates as a useless M shifting mode will kill the car for me and my shop is not close and charges so updates of updates sucks..

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
As I said, It's ecu tune caused. Nothing to do with the TCU tune - new version or old.
Get the new TCU update. I see no difference anyway.
It may be boxcode version related. You might be fine

pgreene1

Ready to race!
My TCU is not tuned. When I had the old stage 1 file the shifts were nice and smooth in M mode. Now they are not smooth at all.mjwolff35's comment above describes it perfectly. Something definitely seems wrong in M mode.

Erick666

Passed Driver's Ed
Updated to the v2 Stage 1 tune yesterday (running 93 w/intake). DSG remains on the stock tune. I am currently getting some erratic behavior from the DSG, including some of the hard shifts mentioned by others, slipping, and delayed manual mode shifts. None of this was present with the v1.2 file. I've had a couple drives on it the first day and a couple today. Things do seem to be changing with the DSG behavior, so hoping it will work itself out. The 1.2 file was solid right from the start in regards to DSG.