GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blue Graphite Pearl - mk6 TDi

George11

Ready to race!
Interesting location for mounting your phone. I just did the pro clip mount which is not as stealthy. Yours looks great.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

rd17VWTDI

Passed Driver's Ed
Interesting location for mounting your phone. I just did the pro clip mount which is not as stealthy. Yours looks great.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

The Pro Clip Mounts are def nice, and I did consider going that route, but personally I'm not a fan of the look that those types of mounts give, so I decided against it. I did borderline drive myself crazy though trying every possible place I could think of to mount it.
Eventually, I do plan on replacing the RNS-315 with an Android unit and just running the OBD Fusion App off that, but for now, Im happy with the iPhone/monitor setup.
I was originally a little concerned with clearance issues mounting the monitor so close to my shifter, which would have drove me crazy and been a total deal-breaker if it was in the way & I had to hold the shifter differently or my hand hit it while shifting, but luckily everything turned out okay. The closest I get to hitting it is when I put it in Reverse, my knuckles are a little less than an Inch away, but I dont have to hold the shifter in a weird way or anything like that to avoid hitting it so I'm fine with that.

For anyone considering doing something similar, keep in mind that I have a DieselGeek SS & have also modified the shifter height to be about an Inch and a half shorter. I dont think modding the shifter to be shorter makes much of a difference clearance wise, but having the DG SS is def vital.
Without the short-shifter, I don't think mounting a monitor in this location is possible. The considerably longer throw of the stock shifter would likely hit the monitor every time you try to put it into 1st or 3rd gear