GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM windshield replacement

doofus

Passed Driver's Ed
I called a auto glass repair shop in San Jose, ca

They want $560 for a OEM windshield replacement on a 2011
($399 for the glass from a VW dealer + tax, the rest labor)

Does $560 seem too high or is that the norm?

LeeMarkus

This is a good price for auto glass repair as far as i am concerned, but still if you feel like the price is not genuine then you must contact others and ask them for the cost. Then choose that very firm which offers the reliable cost at comparable price.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Double-check that your insurance doesn’t cover glass breakage. A lot of people pay for it when they don’t have actually have to. It’s definitely worth the phone call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
got mine replaced earlier this year. Wasn't Genuine VW but didn't care. Paid $0.

Auto glass company stopped by and replaced it in my garage. NO issues whatsoever.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
If you had to pay to get the windshield replace, you obviously have crappy car insurance coverage. LOL

ImitationMan

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm replacing my windshield on Thursday. Called my VW service desk and they told me they bring someone in to replace the glass for them and quoted me a price - about $600 for OEM and $400 for non-OEM. They told me most of the windshields they replace for customers are non-OEM.

I decided to cut them out of this transaction and I'm going directly with Safelite at their location. Before tax, it will be $310.

If replacing your windshield is covered without a deductible by your insurance, it isn't really free. You are just paying more for your insurance to offset the difference. Insurance companies don't have teams of actuaries sitting around crunching numbers to give you something for free. And yes, I did call my insurance agent and ask what was covered under my policy too before deciding to just pay for the windshield myself.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Zero-deductible windshield replacement isn't a thing in most states.

Might not be a state requirement in every jurisdiction, but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't offered everywhere. Just have to request it from your company. Will obviously impact your rate.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Might not be a state requirement in every jurisdiction, but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't offered everywhere. Just have to request it from your company. Will obviously impact your rate.

I've never been with a company that waives the deductible for anything other than repair. They're generally not going to do anything that costs them extra money unless they're required by law.

Considering it's not an issue that comes up very often, it's cheaper in the long run to pay $500 if/when you need a new windshield as opposed to the extra money on your bill for the coverage.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Over the years I have had to put a windshield in my fiero, two in my wife’s corolla, one in my civic, and one and a half in my wife’s Jetta. They ordered the wrong windshield the first time and it had to be replaced.

For me, I’d say it’s worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
I've never been with a company that waives the deductible for anything other than repair. They're generally not going to do anything that costs them extra money unless they're required by law.

Considering it's not an issue that comes up very often, it's cheaper in the long run to pay $500 if/when you need a new windshield as opposed to the extra money on your bill for the coverage.

You misunderstood. The insurance company doesn't waive the deductible. They offer a zero deductible glass coverage option. You have to elect it. The premium cost difference between zero deductible and $250 or $500 glass deductible is negligible. I think it was something like $3 more a month for me. Plus, most windshields are less than $500 to replace so it doesn't make any sense at all to pay for a deductible for this coverage.

I guess most people just aren't aware of this option...and I'm sure that's just how insurance companies like it...

crecraft89

You misunderstood. The insurance company doesn't waive the deductible. They offer a zero deductible glass coverage option. You have to elect it. The premium cost difference between zero deductible and $250 or $500 glass deductible is negligible. I think it was something like $3 more a month for me. Plus, most windshields are less than $500 to replace so it doesn't make any sense at all to pay for a deductible for this coverage.

I guess most people just aren't aware of this option...and I'm sure that's just how insurance companies like it...

Agreed, I don't think most people are aware . I have the coverage elected through USAA and have used it once so far . I'm about to use it again . Zero detectable and hassle free . I went to the glass shop that already had a windshield for my car , they called up my insurance and told them it needed replaced and it was done . My rate didn't increase either and I've never heard of anyone's for using their insurance to replace a windshield . Auto accidents yes , windshields no .

PromoFLB

Ready to race!
USAA doesn't offer the glass replacement policy in California. But yes, in some states it is offered for a small increase.