GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

You won't believe this..

Dillpa

Passed Driver's Ed
I would check the charging from the alternator with a volt meter, takes like two minutes...or wait for the new battery to die.

A_Bowers

I would check the charging from the alternator with a volt meter, takes like two minutes...or wait for the new battery to die.

No need. Go pos to neg on the battery terminals as the car is running. Should be 14v or round about.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Killswitch24

Ready to race!
i call BS.

If an alternator has to overwork to charge a failing battery, this can add extra load to the engine. You usually wouldn't notice it, but everybody's perception is different.

Dillpa

Passed Driver's Ed
No need. Go pos to neg on the battery terminals as the car is running. Should be 14v or round about.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

I think we are saying the same thing.

1. Place the red end of the voltmeter to the red battery terminal and the black contact to the black terminal, if the battery reads above 12.2 volts it has enough charge to start the alternator that can be tested with the voltmeter; if not, either get the battery charged and re-test.
2. Start the vehicle, turn on the headlights and have someone rev the engine to 2000 RPM. This will draw power on your battery that should cause your regulator to jump the alternator into high gear.
3. Retest the battery with the voltmeter, voltage will be at least 13. If varying the RMPs causes the voltage to fluctuate between 13 and 14.5 volts, your alternator is working well, otherwise if the voltage remains the same or decreases, your alternator isn’t working properly.

GTI2012

Ready to race!
Wonky electronics, Possessed Dash

It's been my experience that a shorting battery plate that's delivering much less than 12V will make the electroics go crazy, with all sorts of error lights flashing on and off.