GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EONON GA5153F Review

Jaber

Modero
Issue.

Just got my eanon. Was working with the key in the on position. Then to save battery turned on the car and reversed out of the garage. It went into reverse mode I think(black screen) then became unresponsive.

Have tried resetting all connections can't get anything to work. Hit the reset a few times, it just flashes red real quick and then it's done. Won't beep or anything.

Fuse is ok.

I just plugged in the factory harness - it does have key, power ground wires, am I supposed to wire those in or something? Anyone?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The reset, did you hold the button in for 10seconds? (usually how long is required).

Unit should be plug and play, if it's anything like the older ones. Unless yours literally just died. I had to cut the reverse wire on mine, so it wouldn't go into the screen about no camera, since I don't have a backup cam.

Maybe unplug it and let it sit unpowered for an hour. I know there's a setting when you turn off the car, it doesn't really power down. Just goes into standby, so it can boot up faster. I have mine set to 10minutes.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I must be an idiot, but I can't get this thing to come on. How did you wire the power/ground to the camera? the cables are so flimsy and thin..
I put the trigger on the can bus cable but it doesn't come on when I put it in reverse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did anyone figure this out for the GA6153W???

To power the camera, I connected the red lead to the Reverse Trigger wire (Black wire with Blue/Green stripes) and the black wire to the grounding block; everything worked during initial testing but when I went to back out of my garage, ... black screen with exclamation sign. I left it and went to have a beer tried it again and it worked. Later again nada, ....WTF!

EDIT: We weren't previously in a hurry to install the Eonon Camera because we previously used a Yada wireless Backup Camera with the a tiny screen built into the Rearview mirror. The Yada was turned on/off by using the same Reverse Trigger Wire (Black wire with Blue/Green Stripes), so we know that the Reverse Trigger wire should be able to supply 12 volts to power the Eonon Camera BUT it Doesn't. :mad::mad0259:

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
No Help at all, what the F*ck you guys do to get your backup cameras to work!

It work some times, then not. Since i know the black wire with blue green stripes is the Reverse Trigger wire cos the Yada Backup Camera worked using it; I'm going to put a cheap relay to see if that works.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Yup Camera working perfectly now! :happyanim:

Installed $6 relay, using the Reverse Trigger (Black wire with Blue Green stripes) to switch on the relay.

maxcs

Can anyone confirm for me if their Eonon radio is working with an external amplifier (RCA)
and able to control the levels for that RCA output from the radio?

I'm looking to get one of these and wire up my amp and sub, however I read a lot of different things on how the radio works with an amp.

Some say they cant control the level of their subwoofer on the radio, and if they turn the volume down the sub keeps pounding anyway.

mongo1k

GA6153F & compass

I have GA6153F and it causes the compass display in the MFD (between speedo & tach) to become intermittent. The display will be present for 3-7 seconds, then disappear for 2-6 seconds; then reappear displaying North followed in less than 1 second by the real direction; and repeat. I’ve also noted that the compass display works normally if either the Eonon HU or the Eonon CAN Bus Decoder is unplugged from the cars radio harness, so it seems pretty clear the EONON head unit is causing the problem in some way.

A prior report of similar behavior suggested that disabling the Jetta OEM compass module would fix the problem. However, when I disabled the compass module in the CAN Gateway with VCDS, the compass display completely disappeared, rather than being intermittent, or functioning normally.

Are there any suggestions for getting this fixed?

Is this still an active forum? I notice the posting rate has dropped significantly in the last year.

Thanks very much.

fbgmoney

Ready to race!
I have GA6153F and it causes the compass display in the MFD (between speedo & tach) to become intermittent. The display will be present for 3-7 seconds, then disappear for 2-6 seconds; then reappear displaying North followed in less than 1 second by the real direction; and repeat. I’ve also noted that the compass display works normally if either the Eonon HU or the Eonon CAN Bus Decoder is unplugged from the cars radio harness, so it seems pretty clear the EONON head unit is causing the problem in some way.

A prior report of similar behavior suggested that disabling the Jetta OEM compass module would fix the problem. However, when I disabled the compass module in the CAN Gateway with VCDS, the compass display completely disappeared, rather than being intermittent, or functioning normally.

Is this still an active forum? I notice the posting rate has dropped significantly in the last year.

Thanks very much.

I don't know of a solution but this happens to me as well.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion

Thanks very much.
Contact EONON, maybe there is an updated Firmware BUT I can't see the built-in Compass being so important, if Google Maps is working on the EONON Head Unit.

Just saying.... .

Candlemass

I believe the problem lies in the canbus emulator (the black box / adapter) and not in the unit, so I don't think there is much to do. I wouldn't consider this a huge problem, just disable the compass and use the corresponding app in the screen.

Eonon could just tweak their MCU firmware to see if it is resolved. You can try to flash the latest MCU (MTCB-ZD-V2.85) to see if it makes any difference.

Also, an update on this :

Answering this post, and for anyone that's interested, you CAN upgrade the HU to Android 5.1.1! BUT you have to tweak it a bit and be familiar with Android ROM flashing.

Just did it and I'm more than happy with the result, as I don't have the storage limitation anymore, plus upgraded SDK.

There are 2 options, you can flash either Malaysk ROMs Lollipop 5.1.1 for any yet known MTCB-Device or the tweaked for 1GB RAM devices (like ours) MTCB/MTCC rk3188 (5.1.1) Firmware with an xposed set of MTC apps.
I flashed the 2nd to test and it is quite light and smooth (the Lite 800 x 480 openG version).

First it is recommended to update your MCU, you can use the file below provided by Eonon for my unit (MTCB-ZD-V2.83 MCU) :

Code:
https://mega.nz/#!f1I23DiC!ezJjlfQ2SgM5GnU8JzE8xygP196iuTw_vHajfuYZTEE
Also, here is V2.85 but haven't tested it yet :

Code:
http://huifei.fs-fileserver.de/content/firmware/MCUs/ZD/MTCB%20ZD%20v2.85/
After that, you can follow the procedure described in the corresponding xda threads.

Good luck

I had to revert back to 4.4.4 but with updated generic 4.4.4 FUSE ROM (not Eonon's or Malaysk), because the unit was extremely laggy at 5.1.1. The 1GB RAM capacity is a killer for Lollipop and makes the unit unusable. Still is heavily customizable and do what it's supposed to at 4.4.4.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
GA6153W slow down

The 2 apps I installed are Waze and Mobdro, installing apps take up some of the limited memory and makes the GA6153W sloooower.

Many of you may already know this stuff but I'm a basic Android User, here are a couple of things I do to keep things running well that may help someone else.

1) I installed a 16GB Micro SD card in the card slot on the front Upper right corner. I found that once I installed Waze and it is registered with the OS, I can go into the App Management, then move it to Micro SD card and run it from the SD card, which makes the entire OS operate more efficiently as the Waze App was no longer taking up operating space. The Waze ikon on the App screen disappeared, but that didn't matter, as I configured Waze as my main Navigation App, I start Waze by selecting the Navigation ikon. As well, Waze can to download and retain Maps and it doesn't affect the OS.

2) When things go to###, I go to the Home screen and swipe down until i see the Utility Apps, I select the Speed ikon that looks like a Rocket, it cleans up the memory and things go back to working normally.

Last edited: