GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VWR subframe mount/ front swaybar

Spkr4thDeaD

Ready to race!
Gonna be doing the front swaybar on my R, and also the VWR subframe mount. I know you need a press to press in the subframe mount. (I'll be utilizing a local DIY shop with a lift and press so that's no biggie)

The question I have and can't seem to find the answer to, is if it's alright to drop the subframe without supporting the engine above with a hoist of some sort?

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Yeah the subframe just holds one of 3 mounts in place. The engine is fine on the remaining two.

I have a followup to part 1 of the OP - has anyone hammered the VWR mount into place or is a press absolutely necessary?

kern417

Go Kart Champion
i think the issue is getting the top part of the oem mount out, not pressing the new mount in. i may be wrong, but i'd assume the top would be no harder to get in than the bottom. however, the bottom mount/insert is very hard for some people. it doesn't just slip in.

Spkr4thDeaD

Ready to race!
I'll post my findings after I get it all installed. Most people seem to get the VWR mount installed by a shop so I'll see if I can't take a lot of pics and maybe do a DIY for it.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
the stock mounts you just rip and break out with brute force. The vwr mount needs to be pressed in and I heard it is a bitch

Spkr4thDeaD

Ready to race!
So update, the VWR mount was pretty easy to get in. And I used the press the shop had to get the old one out as well.

Only thing to really note is that the bolts for the subframe are all stretch bolts and need to/ should be replaced if you losen them (which you have to take them off to get the subframe out.)

Anyway, all in all, the install wasn't too bad for the subframe.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
just got mine installed with an h&r swaybar as well. looks like i need to buy some new bolts thought /: didn't remember that part.