GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch or TOB squeal?

Coop8891

When I start my car and if it is not warm it will make a squeal when I let out the clutch and let it engage. After it warms up it works fine and does not squeal. I do not have any pedal shake or feel any slipping. If I pound through the gears it works just fine. Holds nice and solid. I am new to working on cars but are good with mechanics and figuring things out. I have been told it is a throw out bearing but any research I have done on this forums or on the interwebs it says I should have pedal shake. The clutch does not feel like it is going at all and is solid. Could it be low fluid? I have not checked yet I should but not 100% where it is located to check. Still new sadly... I am learning though!! It is a older car it is a 2010. Under 100k miles still as well. Any insight would be very welcome!

It sounds like a squeal or someone said online a loud owl hoot.

Coop8891

Thanks man! Yeah I read that as well. I thought it might be the same thing but I wanted a few more eyes on it!

wagenator

I had the same exact problem on my 2010 Jetta (MKV body style but TSI CCTA engine). It would only happen in cold weather and generally only when getting going from a stand still. It was super annoying and I ran it like that for 2 years. I had to remove the engine for an unrelated issue and when I decided to drop the transmission I saw a crap tonne of brake fluid in the bell housing (before and after cleaning picture below). Basically, the throw out bearing had failed.

I had no other symptoms. I ended up getting a south bend stage II daily clutch kit which came with a beefier looking throw out bearing. All the best!

Attachments

• failed TOB.jpg
    failed TOB.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 247

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Throw out bearing noise (normally a rattling sound) will generally go away when you push the clutch pedal and return when you let it back out, I had a noise like a “hoooo” or owl hoot not long after I got my GTI, it would only happen when I was reversing out of my drive up an incline under load while I was holding the clutch in a certain place and wasn’t noticeably evident at other times, I had the flywheel and clutch changed which solved it, when removed it was clear the DMF had failed, my noise was just like the video in the 1st clutch noise thread linked above, of course as I had the DMF and clutch done at the same time it’s not so easy to say which part caused it but the shop said the noise may have been the DMF resonating! But was probably the throw out bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laimface

Ready to race!
While you're in there getting a new DMF, TOB and clutch. Swap in the Sachs SRE parts as you can go stage 2, even stage 3 (400 ft lbs+) without any slippage!

slowgti08

Ready to race!
I have the same issue. Sometimes when backing out my driveway I’ll hear it or going uphill. I definitely believe it’s the TOB. no signs of slipping.

Coop8891

Thank you for all of the information gents!

I am debating about going with a stage II daily or Just get a stage I. I am not planning on going all out on the car. Maybe just a stage I with intake and a cat back. Later on if I can get another car I may turn this into a little track car to blast around in but for now it is the daily.

Stage II daily by South Bend or I have seen a DKM Stage I on here review that sounded very promising.

slowgti08

Ready to race!
I would go stage 2, I have a Uni stage 1+ tune CTS intake, and magnaflow catback and I want more loud !!!

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
TOB squeal is a very common problem with the manual transmissions. My car had it for 40k miles until i ended up upgrading the clutch.

If you can just live with the squealing TOB until the clutch starts to fail or the TOB starts to fails. You can drive the car for a long time essentially symptom free, you just have to deal with the annoying squeal.