GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant smell but it's not the water pump! Anyone else have this leak?

B6JoeS4

Ready to race!
Over the last few weeks I got that occasional whiff of coolant when the car is hot. Today I decided to poke around and try to figure it out and it looks like I found the culprit. I checked the water pump and radiator and no leaks there, I even have a brand new OEM coolant bottle and cap so I'm pretty sure the system is not over pressurizing causing the leak.

All of the hoses feeding the heater core seem to be leaking at the fitting. I can't find the part number for these hoses anywhere online. Has anyone else had this problem? I searched and it seems like my MK6 is the only one to ever have this.

The car is losing only a few ounces a week so this is a very small leak

83,000 miles on the car

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Replaced the top one when I broke the nipple off to the smaller line on the hard plastic connection. IIRC the part only comes as the hose with the connection to the heater core. Don't recall part number, ordered it over the phone through a local dealer so I'm sure I don't have the receipt either. Never touched the lower. You should be able to find the part number be looking through any exploded parts view of either the heating and cooling system for the car or the motors cooling system. Don't recall which these were in

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Just had that top fitting replaced on my car, P/N 1K0122291C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Hey guys, just got this same leak. Is it a DYI job?? The part is very inexpensive.

It looks like it just pushes on from the engine bay side so I would think it would be pretty easy!

PRGTI

Update: it is a very simple process just be careful not to break anything due to the limited space.

eight_heads

Passed Driver's Ed
Has 1K0122291C been verified as the proper part number? It doesn't seem to correspond to the MKVI GTIs, but it seems like there's an alternate part# that is the tubes and the coupler for the MKVI...

FlavMK6

Passed Driver's Ed
I got this yesterday my hose started leaking out of the same place.

AnchorsAweigh

Go Kart Champion
Has 1K0122291C been verified as the proper part number? It doesn't seem to correspond to the MKVI GTIs, but it seems like there's an alternate part# that is the tubes and the coupler for the MKVI...

Yes this the part number for the individual plastic coupler, its a part of the entire hose assembly (1K0122157HH)

(I know this is reviving an old post but I just installed this part and this post helped me find it)

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
i'm losing coolant and I've recently had the bottle & water pump pressure tested. Will take a look to see what my coolant lines look like to see if this is the cause.

thanks!

tplynaugh

The small hose just broke off of my top hose. I feel this is an easy part to replace but I have no idea where the small hose connects. Can someone take a picture of their bay for me so I can make sure I connect it properly?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
The small hose just broke off of my top hose. I feel this is an easy part to replace but I have no idea where the small hose connects. Can someone take a picture of their bay for me so I can make sure I connect it properly?
Tried my best friend. This is taken from the battery side. Looks like top hose from firewall connects to the far side port while the closest and smaller port connects to bottom hose firewall hope this helps

Attachments

• 20200608_115558.jpg
    20200608_115558.jpg
    762.7 KB · Views: 232
  • 20200608_115607.jpg
    20200608_115607.jpg
    864.9 KB · Views: 274

tplynaugh

Tried my best friend. This is taken from the battery side. Looks like top hose from firewall connects to the far side port while the closest and smaller port connects to bottom hose firewall hope this helps
Thank you I appreciate it! I actually found where it connects. Turns out that top male fitting broke off with the previous owner and instead of replacing it, they just added a bit of what I imagine is silicone and plugged the hose connecting to the return to the tank 😒.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
lol nothing better than fixing someone elses hack job