GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying used k04

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
Ive been looking for a k04 and today i got offered a unitronic BW k04 for a good price. According to the seller it has 20k but it could be more for all we know. Its only the turbo so I would need to purchase a unitronic DV relocation kit and hardware kit.
What would you guys ask and look for if you were buying a used turbo? Here are some pics he sent me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Check for shaft play, make sure the blades aren't hitting the inside of the turbo. You can also send it out and have it rebuilt for about 300.00. Make sure the manifold is straight, no cracks. Check the wastegate cracking pressure, I think a standard k04 is 5.5 lbs, unless upgraded to a forge WGA.

All I can think of atm.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
so apparently he bought the car used(which came with the k04) and very shortly after owning the car, timing skipped and he decided to part out the car. would a timinig chain issue cause any damage to the k04?

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
so apparently he bought the car used(which came with the k04) and very shortly after owning the car, timing skipped and he decided to part out the car. would a timinig chain issue cause any damage to the k04?

I don't see that it would, but I'm no expert on that. My friend bought a used k04, had it rebuilt and it had 90k on it when sold the car (which had almost 200k on it)

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Imo depends on the price. If under 1k, I would just buy it and send it out to socal tuning and let them inspect and replace parts. Plus they do ceramic coatings and porting as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

adema69

Ready to race!
Just check for shaft play and blade damage. If none you should be fine its a borgwarner turbo which are reliable. I bought my ko4 used with like 10-15k on it and its been on my car for 60k and still going strong "knock on wood"

11gti718

Ready to race!
Every seller has its price. But i purchased my used ko4 with “approximately” 20k miles for $700. I had to source out the install hardware which isn’t hard to find at all.