GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My car is making a weird noise when i take off... Help?

HG Rabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
when the turbo spools up at like 4 grand it makes like a sputtering noise kinda like a rattle. my friend said it might be a loose heat shield. i was wondering what you guys thought

Alex_GTi1

Passed Driver's Ed
when the turbo spools up at like 4 grand it makes like a sputtering noise kinda like a rattle. my friend said it might be a loose heat shield. i was wondering what you guys thought

Is it a rattle from below? If that's the sound between 3k-4k rpm then that's the wastegate. Totally normal. There are a few threads about this on here.

HG Rabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
it kinda sounds like it comes from the middle of the engine... were are the threads for this?

MKVI_CSM

Ready to race!
my car is making a similar noise and its been doing since about 2 weeks after i got it back in february. mine sounds like a rattle in the exhaust ... quite a raspy sound... i took it i n to the dealer to show them and they gave me some bullshit excuse that "the exhaust particles havent settled and will go away in a month or so" 4 months later its still there. unfortunately ive had to get used to it. im just hoping when i get my apr turbo back it will go away

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Could be the noisemaker

Mine was annoyingly loud (bad resonance in the cabin) on my DSG equipped GTI....so I deleted it :D

MKVI_CSM

Ready to race!
i believe ive found the culprit. check out that little heat shield right after where the turbo connects. its about the only thing on the exhaust that looks like it would rattle. cant wait for my APR or maybe AWE

Attachments

• IMG_0051 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0051 - Copy.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 169