GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TSI Engine Breakdown

whalesalad

Ready to race!
Hey Guys,

I was just reading a thread on the AWE Turbo outlet pipe (I know neuspeed makes one too) linky and some discussion was there on the BSH pipe and how it helps with a "full noisepipe delete".

I understand basic turbo/engine mechanics, but the TSI engine doesn't make any sense to me. Mind you, I havent been under the hood to actually tinker around other than opening it to look. As far as I know, for general turbo engines: Intake goes to intercooler (btw, does the TSI have an intercooler??), intercooler goes to TB, tb goes to intake, BANG, exhaust manifold, other side of turbo, down and out of the back.

So.. what do these Neuspeed/BSH/AWE outlet pipes do? What does the noise pipe do, and where is it connected in the overall chain?

I'm sure all of this will make more sense as soon as I start replacing things (I'm 20 and financing this car on my own, so I haven't bought anything worthwhile yet) but until then, I'd love to hear some explanation as to what a lot of these parts do.

And/or a link to a schematic or good explanation somewhere else would be appreciated as well :)

Heretic:GTI

Ready to race!
Intake to cold side of turbo, turbo to intercooler, intercooler to throttle body. Exhaust manifold to hot side of turbo, turbo to down pipe, out exhaust...

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
You could've searched for all those answers, but okay...

Turbo outlet pipe discussion:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7167

Noise pipe:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6889

Engine (ignore the Audi logo, lol):

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
their purpose is to replace to stock "pancake" pipe that restricts airflow more so than the bsh/awe/neuspeed pipes would

Yes, but only for a chipped vehicle. If you read the other threads, you'll find out why. Increasing the volume of the pipes on a stock vehicle will only produce more lag due to the increase in volume and no increase in the mass air flow of the fluid that is running through them. You can see on AWE's site that they tested it with a K04 MKV...definitely a long shot from the stock vehicle.

thisisaustin9221

Ready to race!
that definitely makes since i didnt think about that.
so would a stage 1 tune increase the airflow enough to where the less restricting outlet pipe would do good?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
that definitely makes since i didnt think about that.
so would a stage 1 tune increase the airflow enough to where the less restricting outlet pipe would do good?

Eh it all depends on the volume change. Its probably null and would be a compliment mod for stage 1. If I could get some measurements, I can do the calculations and come up with a simple yes or no. Anything beyond Stage 1, I would assume so.

whalesalad

Ready to race!
Ahh okay that audi pic makes some good sense. So the turbo outlet pipe goes from the turbo to the intercooler, right?

And the noise pipe goes from the "out" side of the intercooler (called the charged side?) and steals some of the boost to blow it into your firewall for noise, right? (that sounds so back-asswards)

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Ahh okay that audi pic makes some good sense. So the turbo outlet pipe goes from the turbo to the intercooler, right?

And the noise pipe goes from the "out" side of the intercooler (called the charged side?) and steals some of the boost to blow it into your firewall for noise, right? (that sounds so back-asswards)

Yes
&
Yes

you got it

whalesalad

Ready to race!
Thanks for helping to clear this up. As soon as I was under the engine the other night it all made a ton more sense. I saw the dinky little turbo outlet pipe on the passenger side and it all hit me.

Excited to replace it at some point in time when I can justify the price. Right now an APR tune is next on the list :)