GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB Intake review

phuccer1

Ready to race!
How did you guys get CARB stickers for this intake?
It's NOT CARB certified, I just talked to someone at Cobb and they confirmed it.

They're gonna make a carb exempt intake later on, but not at this point in time.
Only way to be smog legal is to retain the stock MAF housing which the Cobb SF intake doesn't.

I guess something happened with their certification. About 1-2 weeks ago, the question/answer section of the intake on COBB's website said it was recently CARB certified. Now it says it isn't.

MeanGreenGTI

Ready to race!
I'm running Cobb stage 2 OTS map with Uni intake and my car is running great. MAF readings are in the 210's. I haven't been able to data log too much because of shitty weather this Saturday is looking like the perfect day to data log and that is exactly what I will do. I'm cruising up to road of america so that a good amount of driving and gives me the ability to do some pulls and hold WOT. I'll be happy to share my logs once all said and done :D.

aspirollari

Ready to race!
My APR intake max flow rate was 196 gs and this intake has already recorded 220 gs flow rate on MAF readings

im COBB stage 1 and my stage 1 evoMS intake reached 218 g/s. Is that a little odd? For a cheap stage 1 intake to have nearly as much flow as the COBB?

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
im COBB stage 1 and my stage 1 evoMS intake reached 218 g/s. Is that a little odd? For a cheap stage 1 intake to have nearly as much flow as the COBB?

That's not weird. Those are good numbers! It will all depend on your whole setup. Sense I have been running this setup for a couple of weeks. I have gotten 230-240. Depends a lot on outside temp and what the tune is requesting. I know that on my current setup I could not get the Carbino to flow more than 200g/s.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

Just because its more expensive does not mean it will be better.

218 g/s is amazing. I think those guys with the IE intake were getting like 230 g/s and that thing has a 5" inlet with a velocity stack. IIRC

JS12

Ready to race!
I'm consistently getting around 206 g/s on my stock airbox and intake running the Stage 1 93 HB map. I have a COBB intake coming in today so I'm interested to see the difference with that and the Stage 1+ tune.

I also ordered a 3" airflow straightener from Treadstone just to experiment with.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
I'm consistently getting around 206 g/s on my stock airbox and intake running the Stage 1 93 HB map. I have a COBB intake coming in today so I'm interested to see the difference with that and the Stage 1+ tune.

I also ordered a 3" airflow straightener from Treadstone just to experiment with.

Let me know how the straightener works out. I know Ryan was testing one on his new setup

JS12

Ready to race!
I got the COBB intake installed but haven't had a chance to test out the straightener since my fuel trims seem way too high after switching to the Stage 1+ tune. I've tried adjusting and re-tightening everything a few times but LTFT idles around 1.04-1.05 and gets up to 1.15 while cruising. I'm not seeing any knock or other issues.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any pointers on troubleshooting steps or is this normal until adaptation is done? I might have 40 miles on the current map. Fuel trims were a stable 1.00 with the stock airbox.

spegheddy

I got the COBB intake installed but haven't had a chance to test out the straightener since my fuel trims seem way too high after switching to the Stage 1+ tune. I've tried adjusting and re-tightening everything a few times but LTFT idles around 1.04-1.05 and gets up to 1.15 while cruising. I'm not seeing any knock or other issues.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any pointers on troubleshooting steps or is this normal until adaptation is done? I might have 40 miles on the current map. Fuel trims were a stable 1.00 with the stock airbox.

Positive fuel trims generally indicate a leak pre-turbo. For instance you have some air leaking into your intake that's not accounted for by the MAF, The result is high fuel trims as your ECU needs to add more fuel to compensate for that leak.

I would double and triple check your hose connections pre-turbo as that'd be the most likely culprit IMO.

aspirollari

Ready to race!
That's not weird. Those are good numbers! It will all depend on your whole setup. Sense I have been running this setup for a couple of weeks. I have gotten 230-240. Depends a lot on outside temp and what the tune is requesting. I know that on my current setup I could not get the Carbino to flow more than 200g/s.

My set up is only the intake lol. Do you think it would be worth it for me to get the cobb intake? I do plan on going stage 2. And eventually a custom tune.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
If you plan on stage 2 yes , and if you are going Pro-Tune then hell yes lol
Get the most out of your custom tune.

aspirollari

Ready to race!
If you plan on stage 2 yes , and if you are going Pro-Tune then hell yes lol
Get the most out of your custom tune.

gotcha, yea i guess ill go with the cobb. How you liking your eurojet dp? Im looking at buying one of those. Thinkin its the best bang for your buck considering other quality dps are well over 500 bucks.

aspirollari

Ready to race!
The stage 1 Cobb tune can be used with any intake. The stage 1+ and 2 is for the 3" maf Cobb intake.

The AccessPort is the best reason to go COBB! I will cover that in an additional review.

funny story, this whole time i thought i was on stage 1+ 93 cuz i didn't see a specific "1+" when i first got the ap. I just saw 91 and 93. So i assumed 91 was stage 1 and 93oct was stage 1+ lol. Tonight i ran the actual 1+ with my evoMS intake. It was def. a little jittery but still pulled harder then just stage 1. Also went from 218 g/s to 220 g/s.