GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is this under my passenger seat???

dthomas53

Passed Driver's Ed
So, I picked up my car last Friday, and noticed just yesterday this strange hunk of gray styrofoam under my passenger seat, which seemed to be stuck in place. After careful debate, I decide there is no way a piece of styrofoam is meant to be permanently stuck under my passenger seat; I mean why would VW upgrade the interior with a new touch screen audio system or style things up with red stitching, if they're just going to put a permanently installed hunk of styrofoam (visibly) under the passenger seat? Right?

So I figured it must be some accessory that was shipped with the car, or maybe just something they forgot to remove at the dealership. So I began pulling it apart.

Ultimately, I find that inside the (velcro'd) styrofoam is a black device that is just dangling by a wire which runs under the floor carpeting. I also find that there are a couple ugly carpet cut-outs under the seat.

Can anyone help explain this? I notice there are a few holes that look like this device may need to screwed in under the seat...but what's with the carpet cut-outs? Does anyone else have this? I'm guessing the device is for the Bluetooth, since it has "Bluetooth ID" written on the sticker. Needless to say, I'll be contacting my dealer about this ASAP.

Any help is much appreciated, though.

Styrofoam Piece

Black Device, Including Cut-Out Carpet

Black Device (Reverse Side with Label)

Last edited:

kgbzz1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hmmmm, interesting. I also noticed the styrofoam, but left it alone even though I don't like the way it looks. I have not investigated further so I will check it out when I return home this weekend.

K

dthomas53

Passed Driver's Ed
Hmmmm, interesting. I also noticed the styrofoam, but left it alone even though I don't like the way it looks. I have not investigated further so I will check it out when I return home this weekend.

K

FYI, it's velcro'd to the carpet, so there's no need to rip it apart as I did. Just pull it upwards and it will come out. Unfortunately, I found that out afterwards. :thumbdown:

Emailing my dealer now to see what he can do...

Last edited:

GTOTOGTI

i have the same thing i almost tore it out but left it alone .going back to dealer for front plate install ask them then

kgbzz1

Passed Driver's Ed
FYI, it's velcro'd to the carpet, so there's not need to rip it apart as I did. Just pull it upwards and it will come out. Unfortunately, I found that out afterwards. :thumbdown:

Emailing my dealer now to see what he can do...

Thanks for the heads-up. I think I'll wait and see what others learn before I do anything with it.

Bill Carson

Passed Driver's Ed
I can't tell you what that box is, but you might keep an eye out for black helicopters. I recommend you cover the box with tin foil.

kgbzz1

Passed Driver's Ed
To the OP, are you "caseyellow" on vortex? If so, you received a bit of flaming from the blokes on that forum. Takes all kinds, I guess.

Bill Carson

Passed Driver's Ed
I can't tell you what that box is, but you might keep an eye out for black helicopters. I recommend you cover the box with tin foil.

When you wrap the box in foil, it is of utmost importance that you double-layer the foil, with the shiny sides facing both in (the inner layer) and out (the outer layer). This will maximize the reflective qualities of the foil to prevent the unit from receiving surreptitious transmissions from the home base, while simultaneously rendering inoperable automated communication from the mobile unit.

Additional helpful information can be found HERE

dthomas53

Passed Driver's Ed
To the OP, are you "caseyellow" on vortex? If so, you received a bit of flaming from the blokes on that forum. Takes all kinds, I guess.

Yep, that's me. All forums have trolls, so I wasn't the least bit surprised. Personally, I would prefer to only post on this site as it seems to have a better class of members, but Vortex (unfortunately) has more traffic than here...

Thanks.