GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New member - odd problem - rear right wheel seizes

Tstarz

Hi All,

New poster, but long time VW owner. Purchased my new to me 2012 R about a year ago and of course, I love it. I've had several modified mk4 1.8 jettas and GTIs, but this one is still bone stock minus a roof rack. I have focused on a Miata as a fun car/auto crosser and have been able to fight off the itch to tune the R so far...but it's getting increasingly difficult.

Ok, intro out of the way. My problem, and wondering if it is common with the haldex? I have noticed over the last month or so, that when I get in my car and pull out after it sits all night, the right rear wheel feels like the ebrake is still engaged until I feel it finally crack loose and drive away, despite parking without the ebrake engaged. It's not a subtle sound or feeling, so it is concerning. For the record, I live in VT and do not park in a heated garage so it is very cold as the car sits over night.

Any input is helpful! Thanks, and I look forward to getting back in to the VW community.

Last edited:

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Are you parking on a steep hill. I wouldn't use the ebrake in the cold, especially with the salt. The pads are fusing to the rotor and leaving behind material when you break them loose. That or you have a rusted out wheel bearing.

sta626

Ready to race!
Im sure its the parking brakes that get stucked on there. This happens to me when i wash my car typically in the colder months and dont drive it right after. If i leave it parked and even over night, in the morning once i drop the e brake the car stays there until i move it or breaks loose. I park my R on a slight hill driveway outside.

Even happened to me when i left for vacation in september for 2 weeks and it was raining here. When i came back home to move the car it was basically frozen and had to put it in reverse. Other than that i dont have a daily problem with mine.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Happens to my Mk6 GTI also. When i release the e-brake sometimes the rear brakes"pop" free. It freaks me out lol. But i think its normal, it only started happening after upgrading to sticker aftermarket brake pads.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Happens to my Mk6 GTI also. When i release the e-brake sometimes the rear brakes"pop" free. It freaks me out lol. But i think its normal, it only started happening after upgrading to sticker aftermarket brake pads.
That too. Im on stoptech streets now

Sent from phone Tapa

bebersol

Ready to race!
Hi All,

New poster, but long time VW owner. Purchased my new to me 2012 R about a year ago and of course, I love it. I've had several modified mk4 1.8 jettas and GTIs, but this one is still bone stock minus a roof rack. I have focused on a Miata as a fun car/auto crosser and have been able to fight off the itch to tune the R so far...but it's getting increasingly difficult.

Ok, intro out of the way. My problem, and wondering if it is common with the haldex? I have noticed over the last month or so, that when I get in my car and pull out after it sits all night, the right rear wheel feels like the ebrake is still engaged until I feel it finally crack loose and drive away, despite parking without the ebrake engaged. It's not a subtle sound or feeling, so it is concerning. For the record, I live in VT and do not park in a heated garage so it is very cold as the car sits over night.

Any input is helpful! Thanks, and I look forward to getting back in to the VW community.

Common problem, the metal in the brake pad is rusting to rotor. If there's a little moisture around the edges of the pads this will happen, also happens in other vehicles that use the pads and rotors for the emergency brake. Some manufacturers use a drum in the rear rotors for the emergency brake. This is not as prone to do the lockup, but it will also happens sometimes. Most Americans drive automatics and just put the car in park and let the transmission hold the car in place (there's a little pawl that drops into the gear on the outside of the flywheel), bad practice. If you change to a non-metallic pad this will stop happening, you could just change the rears to the NMP will have little effect upon brake performance.

Tstarz

Thanks All for your replies, they were helpful. For additional reference as some have asked, i park on a flat surface and this happens even without the ebrake set over night. Glad to hear it's a common issue. I'll be sure to try the nonmetallic pads as suggested when I change the brakes soon. Thanks all!

Tstarz

Common problem, the metal in the brake pad is rusting to rotor. If there's a little moisture around the edges of the pads this will happen, also happens in other vehicles that use the pads and rotors for the emergency brake. Some manufacturers use a drum in the rear rotors for the emergency brake. This is not as prone to do the lockup, but it will also happens sometimes. Most Americans drive automatics and just put the car in park and let the transmission hold the car in place (there's a little pawl that drops into the gear on the outside of the flywheel), bad practice. If you change to a non-metallic pad this will stop happening, you could just change the rears to the NMP will have little effect upon brake performance.

Going to give this a shot. Thanks for the insight.

Tstarz

Happens to me every time I ski VT and it snows. Scared me too.

Hope you've had the chance to make it up here to ride in the last month. Conditions have been prime! So far this season is shaping about to be a good one in terms of snowfall totals and stable conditions. I highly recommend getting up here to enjoy it if you can.

bebersol

Ready to race!
A lot of folks use ceramic pads, side benefit of less dust. An organic pad will also work but they will wear out faster and not perform as well as metallic or ceramic. I use EBC pads but there are a lot of threads and opinions on brake pads.. good luck :)