GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI always wins when driven smart...

D

Deleted member 103021

Well were you trying to beat him in terms of flat out speed or lack of care for other drivers?

Flat out he wins, lack of care you win!

What kinda competition are you runnin' here?!

xGaspy

Go Kart Champion
i could quote everybody elses thoughts. but we all know, already. we know. :thumbdown:

GIT MO

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, I obviously should have relayed more of the story for those of you who are concerned about safety, as I am. The driver in the other car, as well as myself, are mid-late fourties guys. Personally, I won't ever be involved in a driving situation where others, including mself, are exposed to real danger. I do save that kind of thrill for off-road driving only (class 1 off road). This wasn't a couple of kids, dicing it up on the freeway. This was a well controlled manuver by both cars. Most drivers around us probably didn't even know what was going on.

That being said, we could just stick to the latest "gadget" we installed on our little toys? Or write about a VW vs. Yugo, in the slow lane, nail biter? "What kind of tow hitch should I run?" That was a good read.

It's a big world of cars out there fellas - don't go reading some of those Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, et al, sites. You might get really concerened. Assume that this poster is a responsible, well trained driver and you'll sleep better.

Btw, the more I post here, the more I learn about the personalities - fascinating. "This thread sould be locked" - Funny.

Last edited:

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
This isn't about gadgets or trailer hitches or Yugos... what the hell are you talking about?

Go re-read your post. You baited some guy in a high performance car to race on the highway, and you proceeded to race directly into and through a bunch of cars. You said yourself in the post he was trying to fight his way out of it... How the hell is any of that safe? Its one thing to run the car a bit on an open highway for some fun. But if there are other people around, and especially in tight quarters like that, its downright irresponsible.

GIT MO

Passed Driver's Ed
"Well, I obviously should have relayed more of the story for those of you that are concerned about safety, as I am. The driver in the other car, as well as myself, are mid-late fourties guys. Personally, I won't ever be involved in a driving situation where others, including mself, are exposed to real danger. I do save that kind of thrill for off-road driving only (class 1 off road). This wasn't a couple of kids, dicing it up on the freeway. This was a well controlled manuver by both cars. Most drivers around us probably didn't even know what was going on."

Once again, my most sincere apology. I have clarified my original post, friend. The original post was meant to illicit excitement. I enjoy debating the issues as much as the next person, but now that you know the true sequence of events, and what the mindset of the drivers were, why continue to re-hash my original story?

Quick Armchair Analysis: Does anyone else notice that people often choose to hold on to an opinion, when the basis for which the opinion was formed has been clarified? It tends to be a matter of "I'm right," IMHO. I'm not speaking to anyone on this site directly, but in my short time reading through many posts, some commenter’s appear to have a problem with "letting go."

Btw - my reference to trailer hitches and washer fluid are just a way of pointing out that I would prefer to hear about how a GTI performs against other cars. Not to say that more mundane topics aren't helpful - they are. This site pointed me to Hankook v12's and APR, among other performance enhancers.

See you down the road, Amigo.

Last edited:

KurtP1

Go Kart Champion
Hooray you didn't kill anyone else!

fixed.

Edit: oh what the fuck. why can't I strike text.:mad: s, strike, and line all didn't work. wtf is the right code for it.

Ronkerjake

Ready to race!
Why does it matter if you are 40 years old, that means you have had 20+ years of driving experience and you still fail at being a responsible driver. It makes the rest of us look bad.

Ghost-GTI

Ready to race!
Great story but: racing + traffic = risk of harming others = fail

I'm nearly your age and I enjoy spirited driving. I have had more than my fair share of races on and off the track. However, no matter how good of a driver you are, you can't anticipate everything the other drivers in traffic could do. What if one suddenly guns it from one lane to another or weaves into your lane? You will likely not have time or space to react to avoid the situation. People could die and that is never cool.

One other thing, I take you at your word that you are a very good driver. What about the other guy? If you don't know him (sounds like that from the story), he may not be as skilled as you. As you know piloting a 400+HP car at speed may be challenging for the novice. You may be in perfect control but he may lose it and wipe out a minivan full of kids on their way to soccer practice. Just a thought. Please excuse the Debbie Downer moment.

Sorry for the lecture and I hate to sound preachy.

Sounds like you are a good driver and an enthusiast. Both are dying breeds these days. Chill out a notch and be a little more careful so you can be around to share those skills and your love of cars with others and keep motorsport alive and kicking.

Take care and let's be careful out there.