GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 06-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #141
veedoubleme
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2014 MB C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIProject View Post
Had another car come in with 1400 miles on it and opened a Tech Support ticket. Apparently there is a revision in the works. Word has it that the seal inside the pump makes noise after being run dry - due to dry initial startup of the engine. It takes a while for the seal to make noise but it will. TACs has said that priming the w/pump with coolant before installing it and pressure filling the system for 30 min should help prevent the noise after replacement. But a fix is in the works.
Great news, and thanks for sharing! Any chance you can report back here once you know the fix is ready?
veedoubleme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #142
TRUboost
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '12 CSG GTI/'13 CW GLI
Mine started today.

740 miles on the odo.

slackin via taptalk
TRUboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:27 PM   #143
dirty_dub
Oval Champion

Drives: 2012 CSG Gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedoubleme View Post
You mean the longest you've run after the whistle started was 600 miles before the water pump completely failed?
No the longest I have been on a new water pump before the noise started was 600 miles. I'm going to the dealership tommorow for my 3rd replacement.
dirty_dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #144
dirty_dub
Oval Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedoubleme View Post
Great news, and thanks for sharing! Any chance you can report back here once you know the fix is ready?
yes please
Old 06-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #145
GTIProject
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
I'll try and post back here as soon as we see an updated pump and an new PN. Mind you our W/P's will probably come out for the longitudinal engines.
2011 GTI Tornado Red. Protection Package | Rota Torques | Goodyear Eagle F1 | Clear Bra | BSH TMI | APR Carbonio Stage 1 | APR Stage 2 | S3 SS | SPM DP/UR 3" CBE | R Tails | Tyrolsport Brake Bushings | Stoptech Pads | SB Stage 3 Drop-In | ECS Bleeder Block |
GTIProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:04 AM   #146
tman
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: around randomly looking for GTI's
After I had the initial problem and got the car back unfixed from service, I did the usual pressure release after a drive for a few times and now the sound has completely disappeared. I check everytime I get home for the whine and it's gone. Hopefully it won't come back.
tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #147
kthor703
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 2Dr GTI CSG Manual
I believe mine just started acting up at 4k miles
Old 06-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #148
xd-data-ii
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: Ford Focus RS '17 / Mk6 GTI DSG '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIProject View Post
Had another car come in with 1400 miles on it and opened a Tech Support ticket. Apparently there is a revision in the works. Word has it that the seal inside the pump makes noise after being run dry - due to dry initial startup of the engine. It takes a while for the seal to make noise but it will. TACs has said that priming the w/pump with coolant before installing it and pressure filling the system for 30 min should help prevent the noise after replacement. But a fix is in the works.
My water pump is making the high pitch noise now consistently at 3.4k miles. It did for about two days at 700miles and then went away.
Was gonna ring the dealer tomorrow to get it sorted. Would I better leaving it a while for this fix to be released? Or will it be ages away and i should just get it replaced now and then see?
I suppose I need to tell them to change the seal too. Although that's going to be hard to get them to take notice.
xd-data-ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #149
xd-data-ii
Formula 3000 Driver

I just got rid of the sound by opening the coolant cap to release pressure, as others seem to have done. Let the engine run for a good while and it didn't come back.
So is it an issue and requires a dealer visit when this doesn't get rid of the sound?
I dont know if it will return soon.
Guess I'll hold off on that call.

EDIT: Back next day. Booking it in

Last edited by xd-data-ii; 06-26-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #150
dustinouch
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI CSG
On my way to the dealer to get a rental. Dealer determined it was the water pump. This will be #3!

“Good equipment ain’t cheap, and cheap equipment ain’t good.”
dustinouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #151
dirty_dub
Oval Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinouch View Post
On my way to the dealer to get a rental. Dealer determined it was the water pump. This will be #3!
Let us know what part number they use
Old 06-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #152
socal87
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: Black '12 GTI Sun/Nav 4dr 6MT
It almost seems as though some specific people are having water pump issues. I'm trying to figure out the correlation...I'm on my stock water pump at 11K and no issues or noise yet, while there are several people who have posted in this thread, who have had their pump fail several times after being replaced each time.

I don't get it.

Also, be VERY careful about running your motor with the radiator cap off. The system relies on pressure to keep the coolant from boiling.
socal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #153
xd-data-ii
Formula 3000 Driver

Oh I didn't run it without radiator cap.
Just loosened the coolant bottle cap until it hissed, whine noise stopped, then tightened it.
Whine noise was back next day and has been for past few days. Bringing to dealer tomorrow morning and of course the damn thing wasn't making the whine noise when I got home now.

I don't know what the correlation is. Mines 2012 DSG bought in late Feb.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #154
GlfSprtCT1
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 csg 2dr 6mt
fyi, mine failed recently at 13k. no warning or whining, just a puddle under the car. dealer fixed , no questions asked tho i do have the faint whine, but the coolant level hasnt moved in 1300 miles since i picked it up.
2011 GTI / APR Stage 3+ Carbonio stg1 intake-APR catted dp-Magnaflow catback-APR intercooler-Audi S3 shifter-Podi /boost gauge-034 Motorsports engine/trans mounts (street density)-CatchcanDXD stg2 daily-H&R coilovers-APR 27mm rear swaybar/Whiteline adj. end links-vcds coding tweeks-Tinted oem tails-HPA 6 piston bbk/80a subframe mount
Follow on instagram @glfsprtct1 :wave:
GlfSprtCT1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dat water pump, doe.