GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: TSI Water Pump Replacement

I want to replace my water pump this week too.
So as much as I got it, the only things that I would need are:

* water pump
* 06H121131C -- union seal (between engine oil cooler and w/p)

* 06H121605E --- water pump belt
* (2) bolts that surround the engine coolant temp sensor

is that all ? Or I missed anything ?

Do I have to have any kind of special tools? I heard that I may need #10 triple square. ( When I replaced my rotors I had to have #14 triple square, and I couldn't find it for 4 hours. Checked all local auto stores) This time I want to prepare properly. If any one could make a list of all possible parts and tools that I may need for the installation. I would be very appreciate. It would be very helpful ! Thank you!!!

kern417

Go Kart Champion
The only things i replaced were the water pump and the union. You don't necessarily need to replace the belt or the 2 bolts from my experience. Also have some G12 coolant and distilled water ready to top off the reservoir.

The last time I did it, all i used were torx bits and a box wrench. I removed the throttle body pipe and disconnected the secondary electric pump to move it out of the way for more room. then they are all either t25 or t30 torx bolts on the water pump. From what I remember, every bolt was the same (water pump, water pump cover, coolant hoses). If you want to remove the manifold it wouldn't hurt and gives you a chance to clean your valves as well, but it's not necessary.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
kern417, all the screws/bolts were T25 except for the long bolt at bottom of the intake manifold bracket. It's a T30 Torx.

One thing to mention. What I found interesting is if you shop at dealer online store then prices are much lower than if you would buy the same parts from actual dealer store. So I would recommend to shop online and do store pick-up. For example:
COOL.ADD. g013a8j1g MSRP: $24.33 (EA) Online Price: $17.81
In case of water pump difference is much higher $209/$306

i don't think anyone on here goes to the dealer before shopping online lol

Could be ) But my main point wasn't about online shopping. My point was about buying from online dealer store, and pick it up in store. People usually saying that parts from dealership is very expensive, and I opened for my self that it's not really true. I guess it's little bit off topic. Just wanted to share my personal experience. Would try to replace my water pump tomorrow. I hope I would be able to do it in one day.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
yeah gotcha. i buy all my parts from getvwparts.com unless i find a cheaper part somewhere else. at my local dealer, their online prices are the same prices you'd get at the parts counter.

Harrod

Thanks for doing this DIY, I was able to fix my sisters car a few weeks ago using these steps. I did run into issues getting the belt off, I ended up getting it partially slid back onto the sprocket and rotating the engine to get it to pull it back onto the sprocket when I was done.

We picked up a haynes manual, it was a waste of money. The steps involved were remove intake manifold, replace water pump.

Here was the problem, it was leaking at the thermostat. I also found what looked like a stop leak type material in the coolant that we drained out, it looked like copper sand that accumulated at the bottom of the drain bucket.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
awesome man, good work. i used my bentley to figure out how i wanted to attack it. we need more people doing the job themselves so the community gets an idea of what's actually failing. these pumps have several failure modes.

Harrod

I probably spent about 12 hours working on it the first time, but could do the job in about 6 if I had to. One thing that I noticed is that you have to have a socket driver that has an adjustable head. Probably the biggest issue was getting to the rear bolts on the throttle body, you can go from underneath the car, but the angles are too weird to get the screws backed out.

Another thing I ran into is the pipes, be sure that you get them all the way back on, I had the lower one back on(I thought) and the pipe popped off after a few miles. I had to use a ton of force to get the lower one to seat correctly.