GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Gone in 91k" - VW engine version

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
So as much as I hated to, I traded it in on an MK7. Got a real good deal, found a used MK7 Autobahn DSG + PP at a Jaguar/VW dealer that was mislabeled as an S and got an absolute steal on it. Kinda wishing I had gone new, but I really didn't want to take hit on buying a new vehicle. I'm loving this MK7, but it needs better tires and a rear swaybar ASAP!

Just curious, how much did they give you for the car with the blown engine??

yeah make with the deets

Last edited:

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
The only thing on that list that seems really out of the ordinary are those A/C lines. The manifold and water pump are abnormal when compared to most other cars, but most other cars have certain unique issues too. 110k miles out of a serpentine belt is at least average, if not good.

Out of all of that the thing that would irritate me the most is the dealership not offering a loaner during the A/C repair. Sounds like a terrible dealership that I'd not like to do business with.

My car has had the intake manifold replaced and the windshield washer filler neck is broken. The A/C compressor needs me to spend some time picking at it with a screwdriver, which is no fault of VWs, and there was an early electrical issue that was resolved under warranty. Otherwise at 114k it's been smooth sailing.

When I took the car into the stealership for the A/C lines, they claimed it was one of the clamps rubbing against the lines, causing a leak. I guess they thought I didn't have a clue about working on cars because there was NO WAY IN HELL the clamp could have even came close. Anyhow, it was the same stealership where I bought the car from. I drove around in 85*+ humid weather (for 3 days) with no damn A/C because "the repair did not justify a loaner". F**k Keffer VW (Huntersville, NC).

As for the serpentine belt, I could see lines in the belt itself but never figured it would split apart so easy. The water pump replacement, I called VW to see if my car qualified for some kind of money reimbursement for the parts. They checked the VIN on their database and it wasn't on their list. Talk about a bunch of crock.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
When I took the car into the stealership for the A/C lines, they claimed it was one of the clamps rubbing against the lines, causing a leak. I guess they thought I didn't have a clue about working on cars because there was NO WAY IN HELL the clamp could have even came close. Anyhow, it was the same stealership where I bought the car from. I drove around in 85*+ humid weather (for 3 days) with no damn A/C because "the repair did not justify a loaner". F**k Keffer VW (Huntersville, NC).

As for the serpentine belt, I could see lines in the belt itself but never figured it would split apart so easy. The water pump replacement, I called VW to see if my car qualified for some kind of money reimbursement for the parts. They checked the VIN on their database and it wasn't on their list. Talk about a bunch of crock.

Whoa.... I thought Keffer had a good reputation? That's stupid, if they need to keep your car for long enough that waiting is out of the question and it's warranty work, you should get a loaner.

It also seems ridiculous that they wouldn't work with you on the water pump.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Whoa.... I thought Keffer had a good reputation? That's stupid, if they need to keep your car for long enough that waiting is out of the question and it's warranty work, you should get a loaner.

It also seems ridiculous that they wouldn't work with you on the water pump.

That's what I thought too.

A few months later, I took the car in for a check on an oil leak. They removed the stock intercooler piping to show me the oil blowby, which was irrelevant to my initial inquiry. Left and drove down the road about 3 miles.....rubber coupler/pipe pops off and the car moves no more than 30mph. Drove back to them at turtle's pace and the same idiot "service rep" acted like I have never been there before. I hate that stealership with a passion.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
If the engine is so bad (and I'm certainly not saying otherwise), why would you keep the car?

Also, doesn't the company stuff this same motor into a ton of different models (across makes)?

You guys are freaking me out. I bought mine with 108k a couple of months ago. The previous owner had all the receipts for work done and there doesn't seem to be anything abnormal in its history.

I'm sorry OP. It really sucks that you have to deal with this. I'd be seriously bummed. :/

2010 GTI 6mt, Autobahn, APR Stage 1 tune, Freakishly Clean

There are literally hundreds of thousands of these engines in existence. If 99% of them are well made, that's still thousands of engines that will have "fluke" issues. Tons more people have relatively few issues with their engines, and make it to 150K+ with normal, recommended maintenance.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
There are literally hundreds of thousands of these engines in existence. If 99% of them are well made, that's still thousands of engines that will have "fluke" issues. Tons more people have relatively few issues with their engines, and make it to 150K+ with normal, recommended maintenance.

This. We come here to report outlier data until there is enough data to suggest a trend. that's it.