GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Service and Carbon Cleaning worth it?

MK6_Marco

Passed Driver's Ed
2011 VW GTI DSG

I have about 67.5k miles on my car and never have had a DSG service, or a carbon cleaning. Car runs fine everyday and I was wondering are these services actually necessary? Got quoted 1200 for a carbon cleaning and 430 for a DSG service from my dealer and don't think that amounts justified if it runs just fine

Last edited:

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Yes the DSG service is necessary. If you don't spend the money to service it you may very well spend much more replacing the transmission. Your call, me I had mine replaced at 40,000 miles as required. My cost was $350.

As for the carbon cleaning I'd wait until it's needed. If your car is running fine wait.

Have you skipped any other services?

MK6_Marco

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes the DSG service is necessary. If you don't spend the money to service it you may very well spend much more replacing the transmission. Your call, me I had mine replaced at 40,000 miles as required. My cost was $350.

As for the carbon cleaning I'd wait until it's needed. If your car is running fine wait.

Have you skipped any other services?

Bought the car with 40k from my cousin who said he was going to get everything taken care of, but this past weekend when i was with him he said he hadn't done any major service on it so I had assumed until then it was taken care of :( Change my oil at every 3k and just got new coils and plugs after my tune.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Bought the car with 40k from my cousin who said he was going to get everything taken care of, but this past weekend when i was with him he said he hadn't done any major service on it so I had assumed until then it was taken care of :( Change my oil at every 3k and just got new coils and plugs after my tune.

Get it done!! Especially if tuned. You're playing with fire here. DSG service needs to be done every 40k and carbon can wait til you have misfiring issues.

andrewd

I’d highly advise to do the DSG service however you can wait on the carbon cleaning until you have cold start misfires. I would be looking to see if you can get the services done elsewhere. I’ve paid independents between 225-275 to service my DSG and about 750-800 to replace the intake manifold and do a carbon cleaning.