GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Golf R Gen-4 Release Info! (US-Spec)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubsauce

Hey guys, I thought I would just let you guys know certain details about the US Spec R that I have received on the 18th. For those who already know, then this isn't for you! :) For those who don't know a whole lot about the US spec R, here you go!

This is from Volkswagen sent to dealers for training and knowledge purposes. This information is allowed to be shared, so read on!

Most powerful production Golf ever for the North American market

• New car has an estimated 290 horsepower, but is more fuel efficient than previous Golf R
• EA888 TSI® 2.0-liter engine propels DSG® equipped Golf R from 0 to 62 mph in 4.9 seconds
• Car features new 4MOTION® all-wheel-drive system
Golf R will go on sale in the U.S. in the first quarter of 2015

Those were some general points for the US-Spec R.

"Like all three previous Golf R models, the new model transfers its turbocharged power to the road via a permanent all-wheel-drive system; in this case, the latest version of the 4MOTION® system with a fifth-generation Haldex® coupling. To ensure great chassis dynamics, there’s a new sport
suspension, the “progressive” variable-ratio steering system, and a stability control system ("ESC Sport") which can now be deactivated for track driving. Other highlights include the optional DCC dynamic chassis control system.

Equipped with a six-speed manual transmission, the Golf R will reach 62 mph from rest in 5.3 seconds, an improvement of 0.4 seconds over the old
car; with the six-speed DSG® dual-clutch automatic transmission, the car completes the sprint in just 4.9 seconds."

Since they did not give us an option/spec sheet to look at, these above are assumptions. Perhaps the 2016 Golf-R will be the first R in the US to offer both DSG and a Manual Trans. The ESC having the ability to be deactivated is in the US Spec.

High-tech turbocharged engine
"The Golf R has an even more advanced version of the EA888 four-cylinder turbocharged and direct-injection TSI® 2.0-liter engine that’s fitted to the
new Golf GTI. The engineers boosted power to an estimated 290 hp, delivered at 5500 rpm, thus creating one of the most powerful four-cylinder
production engines in the world. Maximum torque has been increased to 280 pound-feet, available over a broad speed band from 1800 to 5500
rpm. To attain this output, the Golf R model’s 1984-cc engine was subjected to a motorsports-style development program. The following components were modified or completely redesigned compared to the GTI engine: the cylinder head (together with exhaust valves, valve seats, and springs), pistons, high-pressure injection system, and turbocharger.

The Golf R model’s EA888 series engine has innovative engineering solutions such as water-cooled exhaust gas channels running through the cylinder head to the turbocharger (to help efficiently reduce full-load fuel consumption) and a dual injection system with direct and multi-port injection. Thanks to its new fully-electronic coolant control system, the Golf R TSI engine has much more efficient thermal management with a reduced warm-up phase that reduces frictional losses and fuel consumption. In addition, the TSI engine has variable valve timing on the intake and exhaust sides, as well as two-stage exhaust-valve lift. This helps enable optimal control of the charge exchange process for better performance, fuel
economy, and lower emissions."

Race mode
"The Driving Profile Selector has three programs in the Golf R, and four in conjunction with DCC: "Normal", "Individual", and a "Race" mode that has been specially designed for the Golf R. In combination with DCC, "Comfort" mode is also available. All modes were specifically tuned for the Golf R. In “Race” mode, which is designed for high-speed track driving, damping is increased and engine response and the shift points of the DSG transmission are configured to be even sportier. In the "Individual" driving profile, the driver can combine mode settings for various individual parameters"

They mention a few things with the 4Motion technology, chassis, brakes, and other touch-points on the R. I didn't want to put a book into a forum page, but if you guys want me to post everything they mention, let me know, and I will just edit it all in.

Thanks and Enjoy!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
This has been posted. Thank you, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.