GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

At how many miles did you get carbon cleaning done?

Jcarollo765

Ready to race!
Just hit 50k and wondering if I should get carbon cleaning done now or wait another 10-20k.

What's been your experience?

Thanks

AM407

Autocross Champion
I'm at 75k miles and haven't done it yet. I was going to, but my mechanic said not to bother if it's running fine and there's no CEL.

So, unless I start to notice issues, I'm just going to wait. Hopefully the intake manifold craps out while it's still under warranty, then I'll do the carbon cleaning at the same time.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I think I did mine at like 50-54k, but that was only because my intake manifold needed to be replaced, so I had it done early to save some money.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I'm at 75k miles and haven't done it yet. I was going to, but my mechanic said not to bother if it's running fine and there's no CEL.

So, unless I start to notice issues, I'm just going to wait. Hopefully the intake manifold craps out while it's still under warranty, then I'll do the carbon cleaning at the same time.

This is exactly what I'm hoping for as well lol, save on the labor. I'm also at 75k miles with no issues.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
lol im also at 75k with no issues

Laimface

Ready to race!
I rake the shit out of mine and it feels faster every week. I doubt there's much carbon left lol

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
I rake the shit out of mine and it feels faster every week. I doubt there's much carbon left lol

Im with you Laim I drive mine so goddamn ragged it's probably clean as a whistle

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
Im with you Laim I drive mine so goddamn ragged it's probably clean as a whistle

that does zero or barely any difference if any. i had mines and the mech took pictures of all the carbon he removed and it was a lot the car felt like new after i drove it! insta response!! i drive it like i stole it as soon as i get in it! :D

Edit: My cleaning was done at 40k and it was pretty bad

Last edited:

Laimface

Ready to race!
that does zero or barely any difference if any. i had mines and the mech took pictures of all the carbon he removed and it was a lot the car felt like new after i drove it! insta response!! i drive it like i stole it as soon as i get in it! :D

Edit: My cleaning was done at 40k and it was pretty bad

I think fuel quality does have an effect too. I only put the good stuff in, of which the UK spec V power nitro+ is proper jungle juice compared to your 93. Smells so good even with cats in (downpipe next week! :))

sijray21

Go Kart Newbie
Just hit 50k and wondering if I should get carbon cleaning done now or wait another 10-20k.

What's been your experience?

Thanks
I started to have issues around 55k miles. Changed the sparkplugs and coil packs and it went away. I had more issues around 75k miles and did my cleaning at 83k miles.

About 500 miles after that the manifold had an issue that was fixed/replaced under warranty. No issues since then. In fact it's been driving really well.

If I were in your situation I'd wait.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
First cleaning was at 83k miles. I had minimal build up.

It depends on how you drive the car. If you drive it hard (go over 4-5k rpm daily). You should be fine.

If you casually drive the car as a commuter, never really smashing it. Then you will probably have build up.

DAV0320

Passed Driver's Ed
Just had mine done at 77k while in service for the intake mani warranty swap.
Noticeable difference to say the least especially in throttle response. Mileage has increased ~ a MPG or so. Buildup was significant and I drive 20mile round trip daily with some decent sprints along the way.

I really do not think driving ragged will have any impact on the buildup. Romping on it to "blow out the carbon" does nothing for the intake side on these cars, that is more so for the exhaust side.

Last edited: