GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need help deciding on next mods

MK6gti12

I currently have a mk6 gti (duh), and I needed some help deciding the order inwhich I need to mod my car for a K04 turbo. My current mods are as follows: Cobb stage 2 protune, Cobb big intake, HPA intake manifold, Beluga DP, Boral Catback, APR catch can, and R8 coils. I was told I'd need a FMIC and bigger fuel injectors and a better fuel pump for K04 turbo by the speed shop near me. I was wondering if I could do the K04 first then add the other stuff later. I don't really drive the car everyday. (2 days out of the week and all highway driving). Would doing the K04 first then fmic and fuel injectors second be possible or is it a all or nothing type deal? Thank you to anyone who replies.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I currently have a mk6 gti (duh), and I needed some help deciding the order inwhich I need to mod my car for a K04 turbo. My current mods are as follows: Cobb stage 2 protune, Cobb big intake, HPA intake manifold, Beluga DP, Boral Catback, APR catch can, and R8 coils. I was told I'd need a FMIC and bigger fuel injectors and a better fuel pump for K04 turbo by the speed shop near me. I was wondering if I could do the K04 first then add the other stuff later. I don't really drive the car everyday. (2 days out of the week and all highway driving). Would doing the K04 first then fmic and fuel injectors second be possible or is it a all or nothing type deal? Thank you to anyone who replies.

I'm like 99% sure you don't need bigger injectors for a K04, and like 50% sure you wont need a fuel pump either. Definitely not a high pressure one, possibly a low pressure one. A FMIC while not totally necessary, will help a whole lot with heat soak, I would definitely get one, unless you only want to do one pull at a time. You can do the K04 before the FMIC, you'll just get heat soak until you get the FMIC in, especially in warm weather.

MK6gti12

I'm like 99% sure you don't need bigger injectors for a K04, and like 50% sure you wont need a fuel pump either. Definitely not a high pressure one, possibly a low pressure one. A FMIC while not totally necessary, will help a whole lot with heat soak, I would definitely get one, unless you only want to do one pull at a time. You can do the K04 before the FMIC, you'll just get heat soak until you get the FMIC in, especially in warm weather.

This was my thinking as well. I mostly just drive the car to college. It's all highway drive and I only do maybe one or two pulls if that. Mostly just leave it in drive unless I want to pass someone. Don't think heatsoak would affect my driving too much with it till I put the FMIC in.

My other question would be if I put a FMIC on the car as it is right now with bigger charge pipes would I need to retune for it? I was told it would need to be protuned again if I put that on and frankly not sure if I even want to do all that. I just want over 300whp that's really my only goal with the car so I don't want to push it balls to the wall with the K04.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
You don't need any fueling upgrades on the TSI to go KO4. Just slap the turbo on, get software and you're good to go. Sounds like you have all of the other bases already covered. I am guessing your Cobb tuner was able to help you with the runner flap delete from the HPA manifold by eliminating the CEL's and rough cold starts?

A FMIC is not required but will definitely help.

And you will not need a retune for charge pipes. They barely do anything.

MK6gti12

You don't need any fueling upgrades on the TSI to go KO4. Just slap the turbo on, get software and you're good to go. Sounds like you have all of the other bases already covered. I am guessing your Cobb tuner was able to help you with the runner flap delete from the HPA manifold by eliminating the CEL's and rough cold starts?

This was my thinking. Though I think I might just save up a couple Grand and just do the FMIC and the turbo in one go. Not sure about bigger fuel injectors, but we'll see if it's not too much more for the injectors it'll be more of a F*** it just add it on there type deal for me.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
This was my thinking. Though I think I might just save up a couple Grand and just do the FMIC and the turbo in one go. Not sure about bigger fuel injectors, but we'll see if it's not too much more for the injectors it'll be more of a F*** it just add it on there type deal for me.

From what i've read around, stock fueling is good to ~400whp, upgrading them just for K04 would be like buying a barret to go deer hunting. I'd skip them totally, probably not too cheap either.

OhioMK6

Ready to race!

My car was running out of fueling on K04 during my ProTuning process. We had to dial back the power to keep fueling adequate.

I've also heard that K04 shouldn't need fueling at all, but apparently some cars are weaker in regards to fueling.......

Anyone else experience this?

Last edited:

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Posting to add that this is all solid advice.

No injectors needed or fuel pumps - SKIP.

Intercooler is recommended but not required - Don't need a retune. Installed mine with Revo stage 2 software - no CEL or software changes. Intercooler lowers intake temps and does not add power like other typical bolt-ons. By keeping intake temps lower and not heat soaking you are keeping your HP run after run rather than losing HP run after run due to higher intake temps (heat soak). Colder temps = denser air = more power. Think of an intercooler as maximizing the HP that is already there.

Slap K04 on with software.