GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011 5 speed problem

Katiesdad7

We have a new 11 Golf with the 5 speed. Recently it would not shift into reverse so it was towed to the dealer. They replaced the shifter bushings and that seemed to fix it for about 2 miles then it would not go into 5th. At the same time it would not shift into ANY gear. Finally, after playing with it, it started to work. Drove it back to the dealer. Took it for a test drive and it shifted perfectly about 4 times then on the 5th try it would be hard to get into 5th.

Its there now for the weekend and however long it takes. The car only has 5k on it. Any ideas? I don't think this is a normal problem with these cars.

Thanx,

Kal-GTI

Ready to race!
Unless VW has done some major changes in the past few years on their 5 speed manuals, which I highly doubt, then the reverse/5th problem are related. Both gears are on outside of the transmission housing. Someone with a little better jargon and knowledge than Me can probably explain it better but I will try.

When you select 5th or reverse there is an "external" (and I use that word loosely) that selects the right gear. When you press the shifter down you are engaging the selector and moving it to the reverse gear. That's were the original bushing was probably replaced. Now that you have trouble with 5th it has something to do with that. Bad selector another bushing what not. But I say the real cause to the problem was not fixed the first time.

Sounds weird and was of no help probably, but atleast you know that the problem is some what related. That's all I can do for you now hope it was some help.

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
The car only has 5k on it. Any ideas? I don't think this is a normal problem with these cars.

Thanx,

Sounds like the dealer needs to follow the Workshop manual for adjusting the shift linkage. It's not hard, but apparently they haven't done this correctly (or not at all). Likely it didn't even need the bushings, just a tech that knows how to read. Various alignment instructions are available at http://www.dieselgeek.com and I'm SURE it's covered in detail in the VW tech manuals..

Last edited: