GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AFE air filter

Eneubauer

Go Kart Champion
I was think ing about picking up one of the AFE drop in air filter but was wondering if anyone has one and what they think. Eventually I'm going to get the carbonio intake but for now I'm just looking for something a little cheaper and really easy install. Also if so which kind cause they offer both the oiled and dry filter wasn't sure which is the better choice. Or is a k&n filter a comparable option thanks

P

plac

I was think ing about picking up one of the AFE drop in air filter but was wondering if anyone has one and what they think. Eventually I'm going to get the carbonio intake but for now I'm just looking for something a little cheaper and really easy install. Also if so which kind cause they offer both the oiled and dry filter wasn't sure which is the better choice. Or is a k&n filter a comparable option thanks

95% of everyone will prefer the dry over the oiled. I had that filter once. Also had the K&N drop in. The AFE was a better size and better fit.

Eneubauer

Go Kart Champion
Was there any noticeable differences in performance or sound at all? From a completely stock 2.5

P

plac

Slight in both cases, but yes.

Oh, 2.5l stock, very barely noticeable.

P

plac

60? lol. i just bought one for about $40 shipped. research it before you buy. oh.. maybe the 2.5L is more than the 2.0T one?

ChiGuyGolf2.5

Ready to race!
60? lol. i just bought one for about $40 shipped. research it before you buy. oh.. maybe the 2.5L is more than the 2.0T one?

I wouldn't even pay $40 for it. Just buy the Carbonio. What is holding you back? Once you take off the stock intake housing, you will understand why I highly doubt any new filter will make any difference.

The stock intake housing wraps around the whole engine cover, its ridiculous. If it is money related, just save your $40 to $60 for the Carbonio.

lewylou78

Ready to race!
I wouldn't get a drop in air filter. As ChiGuyGolf2.5 said, the stock intake is just too restrictive.

Save up and get either a Neuspeed P-Flo ($200) or the Carbonio ($270). You can always ditch the engine cover as well and get an OEM Bettle 2.5 engine cover.

Here is my Neuspeed P-Flo with the OEM Beetle 2.5 engine cover (I got the Neuspeed intake because the Carbonio wasn't out yet - haven't really wanted to change to the Carbonio yet):

ChiGuyGolf2.5

Ready to race!
I wouldn't get a drop in air filter. As ChiGuyGolf2.5 said, the stock intake is just too restrictive.

Save up and get either a Neuspeed P-Flo ($200) or the Carbonio ($270). You can always ditch the engine cover as well and get an OEM Bettle 2.5 engine cover.

Here is my Neuspeed P-Flo with the OEM Beetle 2.5 engine cover (I got the Neuspeed intake because the Carbonio wasn't out yet - haven't really wanted to change to the Carbonio yet):

That looks great! I was thinking of doing that, but I am not sold on the idea yet. The main reason I want to do it is because the stock cover is SO BIG. I took it off and was amazed at its weight/size. :thumbdown:

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
Not only is the 2.5 intake restrictive by making many turns, the air filter is located in the engine cover! After driving my car around for a while i removed my engine cover during my carbonio install and touched under where the filter sits and it nearly burnt my hand. So not only is it restrictive, it heat soaks like crazy.

lewylou78

Ready to race!
do you need to remove the cover to do the neu-speed filter?

To install either intake you will have to remove the engine cover, but you can keep the cover installed after you install a Neuspeed P-Flo.

However, you will have to tape up the openings (or leave them alone) on the engine cover. To me it just didn't look right even with black tape on the opening because the tape started to peel away.

Eneubauer

Go Kart Champion
ended up going with the aFe drop in filter fgiured i might as well just try it atleast can inform people on what i thought. install took all of 15 minutes. I got the oiled version figured id just give it a try. there really is no noticeable sound or performance gain but we will see about mpg after alittle driving to and from work tomorrow hoping for maybe alittle gain but if not no big deal i figurd it was worth a shot. ill probably keep it for alittle bitand than get a CAI in the next few months. there was more important mods that needed to be done first (ditching the base radio picked up rcd510)