GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will the Canadian 2011 GTI be like the US one

pete42

I have read on here and other sites some of the differences of the 2011 GTI and was wondering if those changes will also come to canada. First off I could care less about the packages that will be offered im more worried about the features they are taking away of putting in.

My first question is about the radio. I want the one with nav but according to the info the 2011 will have the RNS310 instead of the RNS510. This worries me since the 510 has double the resolution and therefore quadruple the pixel density which makes using it better since readability is better. Also I hear the bluetooth is better but whats the difference it has stereo bluetooth (A2DP) now?

I'm in the midst of buying a GTI and if the radio does change, I will try to find a 2010 ASAP since bluetooth is not that important to me (auxiliary is much better since it doesn't kill my phones battery life).

Please comment if you know anything about the 2011 canadian version of the GTI.

ps. if I cant get a 2010 can you put the RNS510 in the 2011. just wondering.

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
Is there any reason why you're set on having an RNS510 versus an aftermarket unit? Both of those stock head units seem to lag at times for most of their operations, which becomes quite annoying. Also, the oem bluetooth isn't that great either: sometimes it doesn't properly connect to the head unit, so you're forced to use the handset until you can reconnect it, which is another nuisance.

pete42

I actually dont mind having an aftermarket unit. But if im spending about 30 grand on a car I would rather not get the much lower head unit. I was just wondering since that kind of stuff hasnt been announced for canada (or i couldnt find it) yet. I dont have the car yet so I wasnt really considering an aftermarket unit at this time but if I would get stuck with the lower head unit where would I check out the different aftermarket head unit?

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
Well here in the US, adding the RNS510 would almost double the cost of a comparable aftermarket unit. I settled for an RNS310 because I knew I was going to swap it out anyway. I have a good amount of experience with aftermarket head units, but I'm not sure what your preferences would desire. I am looking at a Pioneer unit with touchscreen, bluetooth, ipod connectivity, and the high-class works. I'm still shopping around though, until the GTI becomes more widely researched to know what fits.

pete42

I wasnt planning on swapping the 310 for the 510. I just wanted clarification on which year i should get. It seems that this debate is over since I cant get a 2010 like i want. There arent any left. so im gonna have to settle for the worse stereo :( because of this i will probably swap it aswel. Since you know my phone has a better resolution than the 310.

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion

pete42

Oh, for god's sake, doesn't anyone search or read other threads?

I have posted the 2011 specs several times:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/contact-me-all-your-audi-vw-needs-741901/55/

the first post says it all. the 510 is spec'd for the 2011 GTI and not the 310.

Our GTIs are not the same as the Americans.

I did see that but I was really sceptical since it was like the exact sheet they have for the 2010. Being pretty good at photoshop I just figured someone just added a 1 to 2010 since that is the only page with that info. Although I doubted it would happen; I really hoped VW would get some better rims for the GTI. Honestly I can't stand them. They just look so bad. It would be much better if they put the golf R rims on the GTI.

Regardless I am getting a 2011. I couldn't find the one I wanted so I guess I will have to wait. The dealer said july but im thinking it more along the lines of late july/early august that the 2011 will come in. Correct me if im wrong.