GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2010 Volkswagen Golf R Series Turbo Coming to America

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
Yes but it sounds like an old Audi 5pot :w00t: (and it should when you trace its origins :p) rather than a dull 4pot banger
Mind at least the new audi TTRS will sound like a proper audi should with a proper worble:thumbsup:

Don't get me wrong i would love a lightweight upto date sucsessor to my 820Kg mk1 GTI from VW but it won't happen with what modern VW now see themselfs as a brand

GTI2007

Just read this article:

All-wheel drive über GTI gets sign off

Uber Golf GTI believed to source engine from Audi TS

News reports today suggest a TTS powered über Golf GTI, with all-wheel drive, has been signed off by Volkswagen HQ. In further confirmation of progress on this highly anticipated model it has been revealed that the new range topping GTI will not sport R20 badging, as previously suggested.

Speaking to carsales.com.au, Dirk Hussman, Golf line marketing executive, said “We have debated R20 (badging). But we are agreed it doesn’t shape up against the R32 badge it will replace.”

I guess that means we have to run with GTI-R label once again, as believed to be the case when news of the über GTI first surfaced last August.

Audi’s TTS has a 200kW turbocharged 2-litre TFSI engine and while one may expect that Volkswagen would tune down the engine in deference to Audi’s position higher up the food chain, hope has been given to Volkswagen loyalists with Hussman suggesting the car may have “between 260–280hp” (195–210kW).

In further news, Dirk Hussman said an uprated Edition 35 front-wheel drive GTI would be released in 2011 to mark the 35th anniversary of the Golf performance icon. However, seeing as Australia didn’t see either the 25th Anniversary GTI, or the Edition 30, we can probably shelve any thoughts of that model coming down under.

[Source: carsales.com.au | Thanks to Wayne for the tip.]

http://www.ausmotive.com/2009/03/30/all-wheel-drive-uber-gti-gets-sign-off.html

csmkv

Speeder
WHAT?! Is that GTI-R not popularly anticipated anymore?? It's not been bumped since Apr 1st!! I came to the forum and tried to find this thread so hard!!! Still looking forward it..

Any further news would be greatly appreciated!

csmkv

Speeder
sigh....

Anyway, edmunds has been proved to be wrong on many other speculations, hasn't it....

Hopefully vw will take care of american customer's feelings... altho they seldom seemed to be in the past... TTS would be great but too pricy... why don't they think about it---a vw that's abut 10k to 15k less than TTS while owning the same capacity TTS does. How great would the sales be?? Or is that not as many people as I imagine would buy? Or at least they think so? Or they simply wanna keep German pride and not carry it overseas?? Or......:mad0259:

csmkv

Speeder
AND this car has been my only hope on vw's new-generation Golf. If it's not coming, then I will be likely to turn to a STI... I used to hate a bunch of youngmen driving a subaru with annoying amplifier... but with that much money, that's the performance I want...with worse inside tho...

csmkv

Speeder
If the R20 don´t come to U.S., you can buy the GTI and make a Chip-Tuning like this one for the Audi A4:

http://www.abt-sportsline.de/tuning...8_357_3/produkt/ABT-Leistungssteigerung-3141/

It is the same Engine like in the GTI.

You can get cheaper Chips by other Brands.

Hope I could help.

Greatz from Germany

*EDIT* click on "Datenblatt"

That looks awesome!! But still GTI is a FWD??? R20 will be fwd too??? BTW, isn't r20 coming with a larger turbo and would easily go over 300hp by software mod??? :(

steffen

That looks awesome!! But still GTI is a FWD??? R20 will be fwd too??? BTW, isn't r20 coming with a larger turbo and would easily go over 300hp by software mod??? :(

Hi,

I heard the R20 will not get the AWD, cause it is too heavy (about 100kg more than FWD) ==> more Gasoline, more Co2.
I don't know if the Turbo is bigger than the one from the GTI.

Greetz

csmkv

Speeder
Hi,

I heard the R20 will not get the AWD, cause it is too heavy (about 100kg more than FWD) ==> more Gasoline, more Co2.

Greetz

:mad0259: what a waste on the hp if its not awd...:cry:

Snoopy1

Ready to race!

Greetz
Yes it uses the older engine not the EA888 out the new GTI it uses the older engine out the Audi S3/TTS a version of which was also used in the Edition30/Pirelli mk5's.
So yes it getting the bigger turbo and uprated engine internals(an extensive list).