GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 08-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #1
Slowgti08
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2008 VW GTI Uni K04
HELP clutch issue

Whats up guys,

I recently had a South Bend Stage 2 Endurance clutch installed on my car. Ever since i got it however Ive been having issues getting into First gear and Reverse. At first i thought it was odd or possibly the clutch not fully broken in.. or just me. The shifter and clutch is new. Fast forward, the shop bled the clutch multiple times.. they also checked the shifter etc and still same issue. it has been 2K miles since install and today when i tried to move it, it did not want to go into any gear. I pumped the clutch and nothing. After about 30 seconds or so it allowed me to get into gear. The shop and I are leading to Master Cylinder.. The issue is not consistent. Its so annoying that i dont even want to drive the car anymore. Getting into first and reverse is a pain and sometimes when i try to get out of reverse it is also sometimes difficult.. Before the clutch install i did not have any of these issues. Sometimes it goes into all the gears smoothly.. but other times first and reverse is the pain. Today was the first day it locked me out of all the gears.

Last edited by Slowgti08; 08-02-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Slowgti08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:31 PM   #2
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
Sounds like you might just need to adjust the side to side shift linkage a little bit, but the shop should've been able to figure that one out so idk, maybe that's not it.
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:35 PM   #3
Slowgti08
Touring Car Newbie

The situation is very weird. i actually took it yesterday to get checked again. They Bled it, checked the shifter etc and stated all look good. Only thing left is the Master... Sometimes its butter smooth and other times very annoying. My fear is changing the Master and still have the issue.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:24 PM   #4
Gti For Me
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI APR K04 V.3.1
South bend has problem with there clutches. Did your clutch kit come with slave cylinder shim? If not I would suggest you need the shims installed. I had the same issue except when its hot and I seat in traffic I can not get in first gear or reverse.
THE #1 BBK KIT WITH A GREAT PRICE AND THE ANSWER IS V-MAX V-MAXX V-MAXX..............GET IT TO YOUR THICK HEAD OR SHOW ME PROOF THEY ARE CRAP
Gti For Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:28 PM   #5
Slowgti08
Touring Car Newbie

HELP clutch issue

Idk if the shims were installed or not I’ll ask. However, I would think it is something involving the hydraulic system as it’s on or off. Not all the time. If it was that I would assume it would do it all the time. That’s what’s leading me to believe it’s the master.

Edit: Spoke to the tech and he stated no, only the MK7 cars need the shim for the SC. I have a MKV GTI TSI

Last edited by Slowgti08; 08-02-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:28 AM   #6
Gti For Me
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowgti08 View Post
Idk if the shims were installed or not Iíll ask. However, I would think it is something involving the hydraulic system as itís on or off. Not all the time. If it was that I would assume it would do it all the time. Thatís whatís leading me to believe itís the master.

Edit: Spoke to the tech and he stated no, only the MK7 cars need the shim for the SC. I have a MKV GTI TSI
Weird that not what I read. A lot of MK6 gti owners had there shims install due to aftermarket clutches not grabbing which once the clutch disc wears down its hard to get in first and reverse also some complainant once they installed there clutch they had problem with first and reverse. Yours maybe a hydraulic issue but I never heard or read of a master cylinder going bad on these car.
THE #1 BBK KIT WITH A GREAT PRICE AND THE ANSWER IS V-MAX V-MAXX V-MAXX..............GET IT TO YOUR THICK HEAD OR SHOW ME PROOF THEY ARE CRAP
Old 08-03-2018, 05:26 PM   #7
Slowgti08
Touring Car Newbie

From what the tech told he stated if it was to constantly do it all the time it would be something mechanical such as the clutch or trans. However, since its on and off it is believed to be something hydraulic. The Master is the only thing left to check. Ill have it replaced within a few weeks. Hopefully it fixes the problem.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:37 PM   #8
Slowgti08
Touring Car Newbie

Update : Getting the Master Cylinder replaced possibly tomorrow. Hopefully that fixes the issue. I noticed as of late that when the car is cold it does not go into any gear. Once warm/hot it sometimes gives me a issue going into first or reverse. Iíll keep this thread posted.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:04 PM   #9
Slowgti08
Touring Car Newbie

HELP clutch issue

Had the Master Cylinder replaced.. and NO issues so far!! KMD tuning also added their clutch line and it makes SUCH a big difference! Shout out to them for the great work as always.

Update: same issues started again ..

Last edited by Slowgti08; 08-11-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:45 PM   #10
Slowgti08
Touring Car Newbie

Still have the issue getting into reverse and first
Old 08-12-2018, 06:59 AM   #11
Gti For Me
Formula 5000 Driver

When I had my clutch replace it would work fine for couple days then the issue will arise hard to get in first and reverse. I am still thinking you need the shims for the slave cylinder. Since I install the shims I had no problem ever since. Shops dont like to drop the trans again and just throwing in parts you dont need.