GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-31-2019, 03:02 PM   #1
davisharr
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2012 Mk6 GTI
Quiet Catback to pair with Catless Downpipe

Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a catback that is decently quiet. Car currently has a CTS Catless downpipe, and a stock exhaust with suitcase muffler delete. I love the sound but have recently moved to a big city and live in a dense apartment building residential area and it's just too loud, I love my loud cars personally but it's a daily and I don't want to make my neighbours who don't love loud cars go through listening to me pull out of the neighbourhood at 7am every day. I have no problems with drone or anything right now, just wana be a good neighbour and help give local car enthusiasts a better reputation.

I have done some searching on forums and elsewhere and most recommend a cat in downpipe for a quieter setup, but as I already have the catless and there are no emissions checks in my area I would like to keep it as is, and pair with a quiet ish catback if possible. I have considered just putting the rear suitcase muffler back on the stock exhaust, however I don't have the part anymore and purchasing a new OEM catback in my area costs almost as much as an aftermarket system anyway.

I know catbacks on these cars are worth little to no HP gain, but I have plans to go K04 one day so the extra flow would gain me a little bit i'm sure.

If anyone has any experience with getting a good, and not too loud sound out of a catless downpipe I would love to hear your recommendations! Bonus points if you have video or sound clips I can listen too! Thanks for help in advanced, and here are two videos of the current sound for those interested!

Thanks in advanced!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxOQ4FnqkJI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVjP8IcZUVk
Old 01-31-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
riceburner
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
go with a milltek with resonator and muffler. it's amazing how quiet yet great sounding their stuff is
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:22 PM   #3
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
eurojet is also a great option that isn't very loud.

Hit me up for Vagcom or DSG Service in Chicago (Cheaper than dealer/indie)
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:21 PM   #4
Tony48
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI / K04 / 6MT
On the flip side, you'll want to stay away from catbacks with a single muffler in the mid-pipe like the Borla and Magnaflow. The most tame catbacks will be those with a resonator in the mid-pipe and a single or pair of mufflers at the axleback portion.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:05 PM   #5
walmartlegend
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2013 Mk6 Gti
Using CTS Catback with the resonator quiet for regular driving decent sound when getting on it not ricey at all
walmartlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:53 PM   #6
cons
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: Tiguan APR K04 + DQ500
Stock RSQ3 catback has a good quite sound and excellent performance. i have tried different types of custom catbacks: with or without resonators and with/without helmgoltz resonators. But the best quality of sound and performance I got when installed one from RSQ3. It has exhaust valve and can be very quite with close exhaust valve and can be a little bit louder than stock and more aggressive.

For example my sound on 3" downpipe and stock catback:

and 3" downpipe with RSQ3 catback (close exhaust valve):

And overlay:

RSQ3 catback has peaks on 50 and 100Hz, but other sound range from 125Hz to 16kHz a quiter than stock.
2012 Tiguan 2.0T AWD APR K04 3.1, Mahle forged pistons, IE forged rods, Supertech valve springs, DQ500, APR Carbonio intake St1+2, APR IC, Neuspeed pipes, 3" downpipe (200cell Magnaflow cat+Vibrant resonator), RSQ3 catback with exhaust valve control, DV+, R8 coils, Denso IK01-24 spark plugs, PTP turboblanket, ECS oil catch can, Bilstein B6 Sport, ATE Ceramic.

Last edited by cons; 02-18-2019 at 01:49 AM.
cons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #7
Dans GTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6
SPM street exhaust is pretty quite, thats what i have i love it.
2010 MK6 GTI 6MT: APR Stage 2.4 High Output : eBay special downpipe : IE Intake : R8 Coils : BKR7EIX : DWS06 : 034 Dog Bone Mount : 034 Dog Bone Insert : StopTech Brake Pads : SPM CatBack : Sachs ZF Clutch : Diesel Geek Short Shifter : GFB DV + : Clutch Stop :
Dans GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:16 AM   #8
moddedeuros
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Drives: Audi/VW
Running the DFG Tuning MK6 catback right now on a car here and sound is perfect IMO. Nice sound while cruising and opens up when on the throttle. Hand made in the US with solid warranty
moddedeuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:49 PM   #9
ce4
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2013 VW GTI CSG DSG
Just put a Beluga CBE on mine with stock downpipe. Sound is only a bit (a very tiny bit) louder than stock cbe, except when wot. would imagine it would be just a touch louder with catless dp. Good price on em too from ebay, direct from beluga.

Coming Soon: Powerflex LCA Bushings
ce4 is offline   Reply With Quote