MMMMMM INTER-COO-RAH

Stock V Standard GTi

CTS Silicon Pipe Work

CTS Intake

CTS Intake Finished

Hello Stage 2

SydneyGTi1

Ready to race!
Nice car bud can you give me more info on this dump pipe ? why not Electric Cut-Out ?

Sure thing mate. Dump pipe is from CTS Turbos. See the link below:

http://www.ctsturbo.com/cart/products/CTS_Turbo_MK6_TSI_2_0T_FWD_Downpipe-3435-291.html

It's a seriously great bit of kit. In terms of quality it looks and feels stronger than the Milltek version I've had previously. One radius bend versus a donut that's been cut and shut.

It's on the dyno tomorrow or Wednesday so we'll see how it goes numbers wise. I think it'll be strong.

ruan9n

Ready to race!
Good progressive build! Are you gonna upgrade the plugs to NGK iridium and coilpacks too? Discharge and throttle pipes?

SydneyGTi1

Ready to race!
I wish we had reflex silver in the states on a GTI!! loving the progress and sweet car :)

Thanks mate, it's a pretty sweet colour I agree. There's not many silver GTi's down here either. I got lucky I think.

Good progressive build! Are you gonna upgrade the plugs to NGK iridium and coilpacks too? Discharge and throttle pipes?
PLugs have been upgraded to NGK 7873 BKUR7ET. They've smoothed the throttle response out a little. There's still some surging under part throttle but the car has hardly been driven and we haven't logged the tune yet.

Won't be changing the coil packs yet. We've been down that road and I'm not sure if there's any real difference, none we've seen on the dyno or the road. Might give them another go but not fussed.

Discharge and throttle pipes are about to be changed. Waiting on some Neuspeed eBay copies. It's basically what my brother ran 11.4 @ 130 with so I figure they can't be too wrong.

Trying to get some time out of the office today to get it on the dyno. Proving difficult. I'm itching to see what it's got. We started with 140kw atw so I'm hoping for 200!

Last edited:

SydneyGTi1

Ready to race!
17/04/13

So headed over to Advan Performance today with Arthur from Exoticars here in Australia to get some logs done on the car to see where it's at and then do a few power runs.

Again I can't thank Pete, Chris and Bill at Advan enough, the care they take with the car is amazing and it's always done right. Anyway, so we ran the golf up and here's what we got:

221.1kw atw! Stoked. It's 80kw more peak power than we started with, which whilst a different turbo has absolutely transformed the car. We managed to repeat it over a few runs until intake temps went a little high. We did get the logs done so we'll shoot them to the guys at GIAC and see where to from here. I'm really really pleased with the work that Arthur and Mark have done. The CTS Turbos K04 kit lived up to the hype and has delivered in spades.

The car is only seeing the skinny side of 18psi so there should be a little bit left it in as it stands. Last weekend we changed the plugs to something a little different. They seem to have worked. From here it'll be about adding some more boost and getting the tune right. After that we'll spice things up with some WMI on pump gas and then we'll have a crack at some race fuel and then head to the track.

Thanks again to everyone who's supported the build. See if we can't have the K04 world record down here as well!

Here's some more pics of the car:

Last edited:

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Wow, 221kw is about 300whp which is pretty damn impressive on a dyno dynamics. My car made 166whp stock on a dyno dynamics at oe tuning:
http://oetuning.com/blog/?p=626
They call it the heart breaker dyno for a reason.
I'm excited to see what kind of numbers you put down with giac's 100 octane file+meth because I'm running the same setup. Have you thought about what nozzle sizes you're gonna use?

SydneyGTi1

Ready to race!
Wow, 221kw is about 300whp which is pretty damn impressive on a dyno dynamics. My car made 166whp stock on a dyno dynamics at oe tuning:
http://oetuning.com/blog/?p=626
They call it the heart breaker dyno for a reason.
I'm excited to see what kind of numbers you put down with giac's 100 octane file+meth because I'm running the same setup. Have you thought about what nozzle sizes you're gonna use?
Yeah it's pretty much bang on 300hp atw which is pretty stout. I'm happy for sure.

Once we've sorted out the tune and upped the boost to 21-23psi then we'll lean on it with some WMI and race gas.

In terms of nozzles not sure. We're going to test and see what happens but we'll probably start with a 225 and 175 in different places.

I'm actually having a hard time getting USRT to return my emails. I'll try and call them tomorrow.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Yeah it's pretty much bang on 300hp atw which is pretty stout. I'm happy for sure.

Once we've sorted out the tune and upped the boost to 21-23psi then we'll lean on it with some WMI and race gas.

In terms of nozzles not sure. We're going to test and see what happens but we'll probably start with a 225 and 175 in different places.

I'm actually having a hard time getting USRT to return my emails. I'll try and call them tomorrow.
Right now I'm running a CM5 (flows 280-340cc/m) in the bottom of the bsh tb pipe and a snow performance 60cc/m nozzle in the usrt tb spacer. Scott from USRT told me that this setup is perfect for running GIAC's 100 octane k04 file on pump gas and he's definitely right, the car pulls like crazy in race mode.

ruan9n

Ready to race!
Thanks mate, it's a pretty sweet colour I agree. There's not many silver GTi's down here either. I got lucky I think.

PLugs have been upgraded to NGK 7873 BKUR7ET. They've smoothed the throttle response out a little. There's still some surging under part throttle but the car has hardly been driven and we haven't logged the tune yet.

Won't be changing the coil packs yet. We've been down that road and I'm not sure if there's any real difference, none we've seen on the dyno or the road. Might give them another go but not fussed.

Discharge and throttle pipes are about to be changed. Waiting on some Neuspeed eBay copies. It's basically what my brother ran 11.4 @ 130 with so I figure they can't be too wrong.

Trying to get some time out of the office today to get it on the dyno. Proving difficult. I'm itching to see what it's got. We started with 140kw atw so I'm hoping for 200!

I have seen the ebay copies and honestly a pipe is a pipe, if they work then good on you. I changed my pancake pipe for an oem S3 one and it works very well. My throttle pipe is one of the new revo branded motorsport range ones which is rebranded bsh basically. Those two mods made a nice difference, response and better mid to top end. I haven't heard of the sparkplugs you are fitting but over here we change to NGK iridium BKR7EIX ones. I changed to red top oem R8 coils too, had a coil pop on my ex revo 2+ fully built mk5 gti and that was a bad experience late on a friday. It just leaves you with added peace of mind knowing your spark/ignition systems are fully upgraded and good to go.

Noize

Go Kart Champion
Thanks so much for the data, SydneyGTi, and you too, apa11393.
I have hundreds of DD pulls in Evos, and wanted to know where my GTI compares.

296whp in a 3100# car with that curve shape would trap about 112mph in the quarter mile. Not too shabby at all.

My car is manual, carbonio intake, and 93 octane map. I'd love to see it crack 200whp, but 190 is probably more realistic. I need to get to the shop and do a pull. :)