GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

XDS Settings WOW!!!

s0n1cm0nk3y1

Ready to race!
finally gave setting 2 a shot after lurking and reading about all its pros and cons. The setting definitely has a strong grab as it pulls through the corner and it seems it would be very useful in an auto-x situation.
One curiousity I do have is when you pull around a nice long corner it seems to give this odd mini backfire sound. I'm manual and stage 2 with stock catback so it wouldn't be pronounced DSG fart. Is this normal for anyone else using setting 2?

Bruno2000

Ready to race!
I tried all setting; set to 2, to completely removed at all, with the wheel sensor delete.

The best setting is so far without any assists.

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
Bruno , the best feel at the track for sure is with all off, including stability off, but due to my crappy rears, and to medium front/hard rear sway setting (24mm whiteline f&r) I ended by doing a pirouette...really scared me.
It went like this... Lost it ..caught it...lost it ... caught it lost it and pirouette at 40 km/hr... didn't hit a thing, but went to the pits(all this happened at the pit entrance...) and took a timeout... And poured some water over my head to cool down.

Re-enabled stability control, and took xds off and went on getting a personal best that day.

I have deffinitely reached the point where a real LSD makes total sense...

Last edited:

Bruno2000

Ready to race!
It a matter of a lot things too, relate to tractions, obliviously.

I would fix a LOT things before thinking of a LSD.
Tires, bushings, suspensions, mount engine/trans, better weight distribution etc.

If u lost traction control and executed some pirouettes, u probably didnt retracted your steering wheel fast enough between 2 tights turns called a Chicane in french, don't know in english.

Look at this : http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Le_Mans_Ford_Chicane.jpg

A chicane is probably the best exemple that can lead to a pirouette, if u don't manage to keep traction for the first turn, the second one will lead to something very bad, possibly understeer and create your pirouette.

If you briefly lost control at the end of the first turn, and didnt retracted your steering wheel fast enough OR too fast, between thoses 2 tight turns, your car will definitely lead to some bad pirouettes like u said.

Other that bad steering wheels angles, you probably going a tag too fast too. What lead someone to go too fast in a chicane? Something like a porsche or anything else in your back maybe ? Lets him go, focus back and take some good breathes. Over-drive your car is the worst thing u can do.

Bruno2000

Ready to race!
The car does not step out.
When on power the XDS shakes the car as the pads/caliper combo is too aggressive.
It makes for a very strange/harsh ride... where the inner wheel jitters the whole car.
Did a personal best of 1:42 this week with xds off.

Im agreeing with it.

All the brakes just overall perform longer and better without XDS/ESP.

All assists feel fakes, the general feeling is kinda floaty in turns, where it feel a lot more planted without assists. Of course, if u loose traction without them, your adrenaline will get a high, that will lead u to enable xbs/esp back, or think twice to be more careful the next time where it happened.

It is personal judgement choice for anyone to disable it. im mostly tracking on a short track, the Ste-croix Riverspeedway track, with technical short turns that cant really lead me to even scratch my car if I miss a turn. Very save place with green grass all around.

You probably know the circuit Mont-tremblant at Montreal perhaps; I would play safe and be very very gentle at this track with my no assisted GTI. This track could lead to serious damages to death, if not taken seriously.

legandrex

Ready to race!
I have recently changed xds to setting 2. Notice slight difference from stock. Going to a track event at Road America next week and not sure what setting to have it at after reading a few posts. I will most likely keep esc on unless track is dry and weather is good then I may try a few laps with it off.

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
With all the assists off, does the GTI exhibit throttle lift oversteer easily? Im still on the fence about turning it off after I have had a few throttle lift mishaps on my other car at autox the last few months

Last edited:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
With all the assists off, does the GTI exhibit throttle lift oversteer easily? Im still on the fence about turning it off after I have had a few throttle lift mishaps on my other car at autox the last few months

It's not too easy with stock suspension. I tired on a few occasions on a road course with all assists off, but the rear isn't stiff enough and the front too heavy. It'll certainly require a lot of countersteer (by that I mean steering angle to the outside of the direction the car is headed, not beyond center which I'd day is rightfully an oversteer), which is fun on its own merit. But the steering corrections are far from what I'd call oversteer.

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
oh ok, I dont think koni yellows and DG springs would drastically change things that much from stock? I might try it one of these days.

Sounds from stock and maybe my setup will probably be a bit more neutral than my integra with ITR suspension parts which when pushed can exhibit throttle lift easily.

Going to drive the GTI this weekend for autox, its been about 6mo since driving it in an autox.

schleima

Works great for me with no issues.

Hi, as you own a Tiguan I quote you :)

I would like to activate XDS on my Tiguan MY2012 177PS 4motion DSG.
I guess the coding of the ABS control module has changed (or is car-related), because for me it looks like it's not in channel 36 (error channel) with 3 settings but seems to be for my car in channel 67 with only 0 (deactivated, stock setting) or 1 (Enabled).

As the channel isn't self-explanatory (my ABS/Adaptation isn't documented at all in VCDS 12.12) i'd like to be sure that changing it to 1 activates XDS.

Any feedback on the channel 67 coding on the newer Tiguan ?

Thanks

PS:
here is a screenshot of my module

Jcarollo765

Ready to race!
Would having an upgraded suspension, stiffer swaybars front and back and lowering springs or coils, eliminate the need for XDS = 2?

Or would it make the upgraded suspension better?

Anyone comment?

camboscams

To build a bit on what schleima is asking, i just fooled around with my 2014 SportWagon tdi and got the N/A prompt under the adaptation menu for the XDS settings.... Rats i thought, it won't work, but went into the long coding for the 03-ABS and checked the bit for "XDS differential extended active something something". Following that i went back into the adaptation and the option to adjust the strength of the xds setting was there! I then set it to "2" and we will see how it works tomorrow....

If anyone needs to see the byte and bit i had to select i will post screenshots, but there are only 4 or 5 bits you can check anyway in the abs long coding....

Also, on the new car window sticker it even says that the car has an electronic locking differential but it certainly has never acted like it.