GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Frozen door & ripped door seals .. 2nd time

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
So here in Georgia it really hasnt gotten very cold, but cold enough for frost and some ice to form on my car in the mornings (I go to work at 3am).

Does anyone else have issues with their door freezing shut due to moisture getting between the door seal and the window frame of the car?

I have been seeing moisture when I open my car door all though the seal, and now I am seeing the fuzzy part of the seal (top part) is ripped and missing chunks in certain spots.

I have already had VW "tighten" my door because water was leaking in on me when it rained.

Guess its time to take it back to the dealer AGAIN. At least its close to the 30k mile service.

Last edited:

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Could always try a little WD-40 for the frozen doors. Spray some on a rag and wipe along the door seals.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
So I gather its normal for moisture to form between the seal and the door and that its on me to stop it.

I have never had a new car do this.

Yes on my 10 year old TSX I had to lube the seals on the sunroof and doors/trunk since they had dried out. Ill just go get another tube of Shin-Etsu grease.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
So I gather its normal for moisture to form between the seal and the door and that its on me to stop it.

I have never had a new car do this.

Yes on my 10 year old TSX I had to lube the seals on the sunroof and doors/trunk since they had dried out. Ill just go get another tube of Shin-Etsu grease.

To answer your question, I don't believe its normal. You already stated that you had to have VW "tighten" your door because you were getting rained on. Maybe you should look into having your door seals completely replaced and also make sure your doors are in perfect alignment. I have heard of shrinking seals that cause wind noise being an issue for some, and their are a few cheap diy's that some have attempted for that but your issue is a little different.

mmmoose

Ready to race!
I'm actually having the same trouble with my doors freezing shut at the slightest hint of ice (very inconvenient in Pennsylvania, to say the least). My doors and seals are aligned perfectly. No water getting in, no whistling noises at highway speeds, etc. However anytime there's any freezing going on overnight, I know I'll be looking forward to yanking at my driver side door violently. Happens without fail.

And no, this isn't the typical "scrape all the ice off your door cracks, you idiot" situation. This is some serious business where I remove ALL the visible ice on the whole damn door/side of the car and it STILL won't open. This is the only car I've had this happen to me. I previously had an '08 Rabbit (owned for 105,000 miles) which never had this issue. Drives me nuts.

I've got my state inspection coming up anyway, so I'll see what my stealership has to say about it.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Good to know! I appreciate all the replies.

The only car I had issues opening up when it was cold out was my Miata when it was encased in a full inch of ice.. LOL.

The two times I had a hard time opening the door was when my car had no ice on it.. However it was cold (25-30 degrees... still not that cold but again I live in Georgia).

Ive got about 1k miles left before its due for the 30k mile service so itll definitely be brought up when I go.

Paytrose

Ready to race!
I don't know if it's only my car or it's a general issue with GTI's but my hatch door will sometimes stick to the seal or not disengage the locking mechanism. Almost 50% of the time, I have to press the trunk lid twice to open the hatch.

Fingolfin

Ready to race!
Happened to me a week or two ago. Driver side passenger door frozen up, had to yank it open and seal at the bottom pulled out. There were tabs there so i popped it back in and was able to shut the door. Seemed ok after. Interesting i think this door was tightened by the dealer quite some time ago due to creaking. The driver door hasn't seemed as "sticky" with ice.