GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Installed New Window Regulator - Problems

budahbuddy803

Passed Driver's Ed
I purchased a new window regulator (front passenger) for my 2014 GTI because when I pulled up on the driver side or passenger side switch, it would roll down. The opposite would happen when you pushed the switch down, it would roll up. I was hoping a new regulator would solve the issues because I have read a few instances where a faulty regulator was the culprit of a window acting funky. This wasn't really a huge issue except the key fob window up/down function would have the front passenger window doing the opposite of the other three.

The removal and install went well. However, now when I try to roll that window up or down it stops after an inch or so. I have to pull or push the switch numerous times to get it all the way up or down.

After reading about some other issues, it MAY be the pinch protection, but from what I've read, the pinch protection will roll the window down after it stops moving. I guess there is a possibility that I didn't seat the window evenly, but I would think if that were the case once it got about half way down it would roll all the way down.

There is a wiring connector (6Q0972708) that I haven't been able to figure out its purpose or anywhere to connect it.

This is the connector I'm referring too. Its bundled with the air bag sensor.

On top of all that, the window still rolls down when I pull the switch up and visa versa. I hate the local VW dealer, for a good reason, so I really don't want to take it there to diagnose anything.

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
Press and hold until it's all the way down then pull and hold until all the way up. This allows it to relearn for pinch protection

budahbuddy803

Passed Driver's Ed
Press and hold until it's all the way down then pull and hold until all the way up. This allows it to relearn for pinch protection

I tried numerous different things over the weekend. I cleaned the master/driver and front passenger switch connections, lubed the window tracks on the regulator, cleaned the window jam felt stuff, and repositioned the window in the regulator.

I then removed the front passenger window motor and tried it by itself. The motor is what is stopping every second or so. I put everything back in after making sure there was no obstruction or resistance to any of the moving parts and tried it and still had the same issues.

Once I got the window all the way up, I held the switch for a few seconds and then, after getting it all the way down, did the same thing. That didn't do anything to help the situation.

I'm thinking its a programming issue or something is wrong with the ECU controller. The motor and the gear that spins with the motor both spin freely, but something electronically is telling the motor that it is either all the way up, all the way down, or something is restricting it from going any further.

I'm hoping to find someone with VAGCOM in the area to help me troubleshoot. If that doesn't work I will buy and install a new motor. If that doesn't work I will buy and replace the master switches. If that doesn't work, I'll be all out of ideas.

I figured out where the plug in the OP is supposed to go as well (directly into the door, not the regulator).

budahbuddy803

Passed Driver's Ed
Installed the new master switch today. The master switch fixed the rear window one-touch-up that wouldn’t reset. Both passenger windows sill have the same issues, front stops every couple of seconds bc it thinks it’s reached the top/bottom and the rear one touch doesn’t work in either direction. Since the passenger windows have some affiliation, I’m pretty sure the front motor is the culprit of my issues, however I plan to meet with someone local to check VAG to see if it’s a coding/programming issue.

If nothing comes from the VAG, I’ll buy a new front motor and try again.