GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New VW Golf GTI MK6 Autobahn problems with gearbox/transmission and electronics???

mbc

I really don't know the extent (or cause) of your issue, but I think the shift linkage issue is worth serious consideration before writing this car off as a lemon. I've seen other guys on the forum start threads stating "serious transmission issues" when this could be a pretty simple fix.

For sure I am ... taking the car to the service center tmrw ... Thanks!

Should a car need things like this corrected when this new? Hell no.

Yeah its BS

matthewk

Passed Driver's Ed
I have to admit my VW experience so far is a HUGE disappointment (...and that's an understatement) and I can't believe I am having these kinds of problems on a brand new car.... Pretty sure this will be my first and last VW

It's a car with 30,000+ parts and sometimes stuff doesn't all work perfectly out of the gates, that's why these cars come with a warranty.. Don't panic. It sounds like they are still working on it and have not told you it's all in your head, let these guys do their jobs..

2 things on lemon laws. For the ticker to start counting they need to attempt repairs. All the times you go and they come back with no issue found do not count... Secondly, it's more likely the regonal manager will do a buy-back assistance to help you with your problem than allow the car to be lemoned. They cannot resell a lemon car, a buy-back car will go into the demo program and then resold in a few thousand miles to someone who likely will not have the same complaints you have with the same car, or on the used lot.. Ever wonder how dealers get used cars with like 3k miles on them?

Also, I think I read this is your first manual car, you might want to keep the perspective that it might just be your lack of skill and not the car. As mentioned earlier reverse doesn't have a synchro, but if you put the car into 2nd gear and then into reverse all will line up properly and it should be smooth, 2nd and reverse share the same rail.

Relax, it's just a car.

mbc

It's a car with 30,000+ parts and sometimes stuff doesn't all work perfectly out of the gates, that's why these cars come with a warranty.. Don't panic. It sounds like they are still working on it and have not told you it's all in your head, let these guys do their jobs..

2 things on lemon laws. For the ticker to start counting they need to attempt repairs. All the times you go and they come back with no issue found do not count... Secondly, it's more likely the regonal manager will do a buy-back assistance to help you with your problem than allow the car to be lemoned. They cannot resell a lemon car, a buy-back car will go into the demo program and then resold in a few thousand miles to someone who likely will not have the same complaints you have with the same car, or on the used lot.. Ever wonder how dealers get used cars with like 3k miles on them?

For sure

Also, I think I read this is your first manual car, you might want to keep the perspective that it might just be your lack of skill and not the car. As mentioned earlier reverse doesn't have a synchro, but if you put the car into 2nd gear and then into reverse all will line up properly and it should be smooth, 2nd and reverse share the same rail.

Yes, like I said it is the first manual that I have owned but not the first I have driven .... I have kept that in mind. However, I am talking about something as simple as having the car at a standstill, putting the clutch to the floor and the stick not going into reverse or the other night going into first. Furthermore, I have contacted multiple VW people that have sticks and they all say that I should not be having any of the above problems including notchiness... Additionally, people that I know that have driven sticks most of their lives have never not been able to get into gear with the clutch to the floor at a standstill..... Yet I still do doubt myself as I do have an open mind and I am test driving an identical car tmrw to verify if its me or the car.

Relax, it's just a car.
hah... right now its a hassle, a money pit, and an embarrassment ... if it was just a car to me i would have bought a Prius =) -no offense to the Prius though -all for energy efficiency

mbc

matthewk

Did you happen to drive the stick version b4 you got the DSG? If you did I was curious if the shifting was smooth as butter or notchy and problematic?

Thanks in advance!

mbc

Shini

I've got a new 2012 MKVI too, I only have problems getting it into gear if I don't hold the button down hard enough

What button are you referring to??

matthewk

Passed Driver's Ed
no offense to the Prius though -all for energy efficiency

Funny statement. When comparing an Arnold Schwartziniger Hummer H1 to a Prius. From the first drop of molten steel used in building the parts that will ultimately be used to manufacture both, to the 300,000 miles of driving mark, the Hummer has less environmental impact and energy consumption than a Prius.. God love media propaganda.

matthewk

Passed Driver's Ed
matthewk

Did you happen to drive the stick version b4 you got the DSG? If you did I was curious if the shifting was smooth as butter or notchy and problematic?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, I did.. It was notchy, but I wouldn't say problematic.. It's a psudeo sports car, it shifts as one would expect.

flyguy27

Ready to race!
Shini

I've got a new 2012 MKVI too, I only have problems getting it into gear if I don't hold the button down hard enough

What button are you referring to??

Swing and Miss!! :dnftt:

mbc

Yes, I did.. It was notchy, but I wouldn't say problematic.. It's a psudeo sports car, it shifts as one would expect.

ok cool... well if its notchy its notchy ... not sure why VW would tell me otherwise? or why it was silky smooth when I test drove it -i guess it was hot out and those fluids made everything loosey goosey

Can you explain to me how shifting a sport car usually feels? -more of an unrefined feeling? ... i have driven anything from a civic, RSX, the recent BRZ, S-10 Pickup, saturn, etc... and I don't ever remember experiencing the same characteristics as found on the GTI MT

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Hi guys,

I am having problems with my new GTI MK6 Autobahn. I have had problems since almost day one and now I have about 1000 miles. Aside from some minor electronic issues, my gearbox/transmission doesn't seem to be working like it should. The majority of the time it feels notchy, makes noises from underneath the car, kicks me out with the clutch all the way in, and some times grinds. Even worse, 4 nights ago it wouldn't go into reverse with the clutch to the floor at a stand still on a flat road until after 3-5 tries, and tonight it would go into 1st until after 3 tries.

Did I get the worst GTI in existence or is the GTI gearbox/transmission just crap... Additionally, does anyone know what the problem could be, syncros? Is this going to be on my car fax if I have to fix it or get a new transmission? ... and is this enough to bring up the lemon law?

Hope to hear from someone soon, thanks!

Take it back to the dealer. This is not how the transmission should work and not how mine worked with I had my 6MT.

This alone is not enough to invoke the lemon law. Read up on it. You basically have to have a car that is useless (something like in for 5 seperate things or the same thing for a total of a certain amount of time). Also, some states do not even have a lemon law.

This I have a feeling is simply a misadjusted shift linkage.

BS2H

Ready to race!
I think that when you bring it to the dealer, you should go on a ride-along with them. Let them drive you around and you can see how they shift and see if they have the same issues you do. Maybe let 2 of them drive it and see. If they don't have the same problem, maybe it's you. If they DO have the same issues, then it's definitely the car. That might clear up a lot of issues.

mbc

Take it back to the dealer. This is not how the transmission should work and not how mine worked with I had my 6MT.
This alone is not enough to invoke the lemon law. Read up on it. You basically have to have a car that is useless (something like in for 5 seperate things or the same thing for a total of a certain amount of time). Also, some states do not even have a lemon law.
This I have a feeling is simply a misadjusted shift linkage.

For sure... i am ...and I know I didn't really think it was, but I do think if it doesn't work properly ever then they should exchange ...Ok cool thanks ill ask them about the shift linkage

I think that when you bring it to the dealer, you should go on a ride-along with them. Let them drive you around and you can see how they shift and see if they have the same issues you do. Maybe let 2 of them drive it and see. If they don't have the same problem, maybe it's you. If they DO have the same issues, then it's definitely the car. That might clear up a lot of issues.

I did that and they shift "aggressively"(shoving the stick in fast) so u wouldn't even be able to feel what Im talking about -aside from the not even being able to get into gear at all.... I drove my car with the same guy that tested my car and while we were driving the stick was trying to kick me out right in front of him but he really wasn't paying attention and it just puzzled him more ... additionally, him didn't seem like the guy that had a deep understanding of how manuals work -I was shifting smoother than him...However, i am going to drive another gti tmrw to see if its me anyways

Hoosier

Passed Driver's Ed
I have had a few instances with reverse. My drive is sloped. It seems to only be at home when I have the issue. I just go into neutral, let clutch out and back in, then reverse. Have not had an issue with 1st gear.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I have had a few instances with reverse. My drive is sloped. It seems to only be at home when I have the issue. I just go into neutral, let clutch out and back in, then reverse. Have not had an issue with 1st gear.

Yep, it's normal for reverse to be a bit tricky sometimes. This has happened in most manuals cars I've driven.

I think you need a driver/attidude mod, pretty sure your car is fine. Have a friend/family member with MT experience drive it, see what they think.

mbc

I think you need a driver/attidude mod, pretty sure your car is fine. Have a friend/family member with MT experience drive it, see what they think.

Anything is possible but its still weird that I have had the car for a month and within this last week it wouldn't get into gear 5 times -yesterday it didn't go into 1st again twice .... Once while parallel parking coming out of reverse and once while coming out of second into first at a stop.

I'm having some older more experienced coworkers drive it tmrw

Additionally, vw still didn't find anything wrong with the car.

Furthermore, I did drive another GTI on the lot ...it was little nothcy but less than my car -it drove like my car did brand new