GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Mk VI vs Acura RSX type S

Zone47

Passed Driver's Ed
Both are 200 hp right? :) Should be a pretty close race. :confused:

I own both and it's mind boggling how much faster the GTI is than the RSX. Actually, the RSX pulls pretty good once the Vtec kicks in, but still not as hard as the Vdub, and certainly not as hard off idle. The dubber is stronger all around. I never raced both of them because it's hard to drive two cars at once, but I'm just talking overall seat of the pants feeling.

The only thing the Acura does better is it gets about 4 mpg better mileage and hasn't broke down in 216,000 miles (other than an o2 sensor). :thumbsup:

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
The general consensus is that these cars were under-rated from the factory. It's been a while since I've poked around, but I recall seeing a lot of dyno charts for stock cars pushing that 200 hp to the ground. So in reality we probably have somewhere in the area of ~220 bhp.

The Type S has a couple hundred lb weight advantage, but I think that's somewhat nullified by the massive torque advantage the GTI has, in addition to the horsepower edge. The engine in the Type S really is a gem though, it can hang if you throw a few dollars at it.

Sandbagger1

Passed Driver's Ed
I also own both a RSX-S and a GTI. My son owns a MK6. Over the last 4 years my son and I have modified our cars for some friendly competition. With each level of mods, both cars were about equal in performance. Currently my sons MK6 with a DSG transmission is modified with APR’s K04 turbo, tunes, and all of their bolt-ons. The RSX is fully built with a aftercooled S/C running on E85. The RSX is just a hair faster than the MK6 on top end. My stage 2 MK7 is a close 3rd - just needs an IS38 turbo upgrade to be king of the hill.

Last edited:

Zone47

Passed Driver's Ed
Cool, good to hear other owner's opinions.

My perspective is probably tainted from the stock GTIs lower rpm torque advantage. I didn't know the RSX was lighter, but something else to consider is the RSX gearing is slightly shorter than the MkVI, so that's an acceleration advantage as well. After I got a Uni stage 1+ flash on the dub, my comparison is all messed up. The only mod I did to the Acura was a Injen intake (which helped).

A gem of an engine is right, Honda builds an awesome 4 cylinder. I actually just sold mine, I was going to try and run it up to 300,000 miles but after 16 years it was time for something else. I'm going to miss it. :(

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Type s rsx with good bolt ons and a tune with a healthy diet will do damage up top especially if it's off a roll the k series loves high rpm abuse.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Yep rsx-s highway roll with mods will win from my experience.

Im gonna be that guy and say... tune GTI never worry about rsx's again. Even tuned ive raced against some quick hondas.

The advantage favors the honda/acura cause your turbo looses steam in higher gear rpms. So if youre gonna race. do a 20 roll instead of a 50-60 as the acura only has 140ish ft tq

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Yep rsx-s highway roll with mods will win from my experience.

Im gonna be that guy and say... tune GTI never worry about rsx's again. Even tuned ive raced against some quick hondas.

The advantage favors the honda/acura cause your turbo looses steam in higher gear rpms. So if youre gonna race. do a 20 roll instead of a 50-60 as the acura only has 140ish ft tq
Exactly. Stock turbo tuned GTI has no balls up top imo.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sandbagger1

Passed Driver's Ed
Here's some photos and a short video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu4JO-BC_ro

riceburner

Autocross Champion
is that an m62?

id cough it up to torque being why the mk6 is faster stock for stock

Sandbagger1

Passed Driver's Ed
Last Saturday, I was heading towards K1 Go-Kart in Addison, IL with my GTI. The GTI was loaded down with three adults and a full tank of gas. On the interstate I came up behind an RXS going about sixty in the passing lane. From the burst of noise that came from his fart can, you could tell he downshifted and was ready to play. So I told my passengers to watch this. It only took a short distance before the driver of the RSX realized he was out matched. Based on my memory on how my RSX-S performed in stock mode, I’m hoping he was a base model with a five speed. The surprised expression on his face was priceless but over he was a good sport about it.