GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

i have a bit of a problem... need advice

gamedic8518

i know there is an ongoing current thread about a guys ecu dying and the dealership ordering a new one from germany the exact same thing is happening to me however while my car was at the dealership waiting for the part they backed it into a truck and dented and scraped paint off the passenger rear quarterpanel to just under the fuel filler cap. theyre having the car repaired at a body shop but should i demand a new vehicle? ive tried to be cool about bc they were fixing it. now im concerned about different paint over time will show and i'll never be able to sell it for as much bc of depreciation of value/carfax. i purchased the car in late oct. and it has approx. 12k miles. if anyone out there has had any kind of experience with anything like this please help. thanks

DarkCloak

Banned
You probably have too many miles. You've owned your car for about 8 months now. Even insurance companies that do new car replacement will only replace if it is severely damaged; if not totaled. That sort of repair should not really hurt your resale because it is low speed, will be repaired properly, and does not sound as though you have any frame damage. One way to keep your resale value up is to request a frame inspection. That piece of paper (which should be free) will be great documentation when selling a car.

2010 UG

Ready to race!
Let them know that this is a problem and see how far that takes you. I've heard of situations like this resulting in a payment to the owner (you) for a "restoration of market value" or something along those lines. If you cant resolve the issue on your own, get some legal advice. I seriously doubt you could get a new car out of it, especially without having to pay for the 12000 miles you've already put on it.

gamedic8518

thanks for the advice, i called my insurance company to make sure i was in the clear. they informed me that there is a law in place that says that the paying company has to issue me the difference in depreciation of value. since the time i posted this ive pretty much come to the conclusion that im not going to pursue this much further as far as a new car is concerned. dark cloak, youre correct about it being low speed and no frame damage. just body work. the dealership has provided me with a brand new loaner VW and im not paying for any of this work. if i were to damage the jetta theyre letting me drive they wouldnt expect me to replace the whole car just fix whats damaged. so im not gonna start being an ass over this like im bipolar or something. thanks again guys

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
That sucks though.....

After any repair, the car is just never the same. I'd be pissed and/or trying to get SOMETHING out of them

Free oil changes, parts, or something!?!?