GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Camber Woes

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
I got the alignment done after installing new shocks, struts, mounts, and subframe deadset kits.

I found out that the front camber is kinda jacked up:

I’m 95% sure I installed the struts correctly, everything went back together according to spec. The car was driven about 10-15 miles between changing the struts and going to the shop, which included some hard turning, so everything should have settled in. Maybe the previous owner had an unreported accident? Who knows…

The only thing they can do would be to adjust the subframe. The shop owner recommended I drive the car for a while, decide If i want to go that route, and if I go back within 30 days he won’t charge me for an additional alignment.

I’m afraid that if I do it, I'll just be entering a repeating cycle of the subframe shifting around on its own and then having to get it re-aligned. I mean, the whole reason I installed the deadset kit was because the subframe WAS shifting around on its own. Plus it would suck to have to toss it out right after I bought it. But, that's probably gonna be a necessary evil to have decent alignment.

Thoughts?

(BTW, I know camber plates are a thing, but for $500/set it’s out of the question.)p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 115%; }a:link { }

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Camber plates have their own set of trade-offs anyway. SuperPro ball joints give camber adjustment, but they're also $250+.

Did anyone ever figure out if TT ball joints would work on our cars?

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
The more I think about it, the more I think I'm just gonna have them adjust the subframe. I'm about to buy new tires, so I wanna make sure they have a nice, aligned car to go on. However, to mitigate future shifting, I'm gonna provide new stretch bolts and make sure they apply the proper torque (51 ft-lb + 90 deg)

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion

When I went back to the shop today, we found that the camber improved on its own. I didn't get a printout this time, but I remember that the left side was down to -1.2 (max spec), and the right side was back into negative numbers, somewhere around min spec. Toe was off, but that's an easy fix of course.

I guess that helps answer the question of whether or not new shock absorbers need a lot of time to settle. I knew there was some settling involved, but I never would have thought it'd be THAT dramatic (a whole degree of camber after 90 miles).

The new plan is to go back after 500 miles, after it's thoroughly settled, and align as necessary.

I'm just so happy that my frame is straight and my car's not bent up after all! AND I got my ticket dismissed. AND I ordered new tires. What a day...

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Interesting story! Certainly odd

torga

Autocross Champion
I hope they're done settling, in that case! Nothing feels better than fresh suspension hardware and new tires.
Well, I guess a new car would [emoji23]

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I had front camber issues as well but mine never went away. Then again my car was hit on the passenger side which likely caused the issue. Was able to fix with the super pro ball joints, but since I need more camber I'll be going up to camber plates. Glad your issue resolved itself!