GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock GTI vs 987 Boxster

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
So yesterday I went to mexico aka had a dream about a race on a deserted highway.

I'm not sure on the year but if i had to make an educated guess i would say 2006/7. Pulled up next to him rev matched into 4th at about 70mph and wanted to do a pull. He looks over and doesn't do anything, so i press on it run it up to 85 and then wait for him. We get along side and he doesn't want to run so I set the cruise and go back to just relaxing. Later down the highway he went blowing passed me but i just let him go at that point I was relaxing and listen to my tunes.

What do you guys think would have happened if he did run? I haven't driven a 987 Boxster but my dad had an 02 S which had just over 250hp which i believe is about what the newer Boxsters have but still can't determine which is faster on the highway. On a mountain road, I would have had no chance I know that.

Edmunds is saying:

2006 Boxster
240hp @ 6400
199lb tq @ 4700

2007 Boxster
245hp @ 6500
201lb tq @ 4600

Last edited:

gkallis

Ready to race!

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Boxster is lighter and has more power. Rear wheel drive, so less drivetrain loss. It also has a lower drag coefficient... so the faster you go the bigger advantage he has (i.e. a highway run).

Driver skill aside I think he would walk on you.

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
Boxster is lighter and has more power. Rear wheel drive, so less drivetrain loss. It also has a lower drag coefficient... so the faster you go the bigger advantage he has (i.e. a highway run).

Driver skill aside I think he would walk on you.

well this isn't entirely true...the boxster is lighter in most cases...power is equal to a stage 1 gti...drivetrain loss on a rear wheels drive car is actually about 3-5% more, however the boxster being a rear engine set up will have about the same loss as a fwd car....and no company posts a drag coefficient

most Porsche's honestly are not all that fast in a straight line...they are made to be driven on a technical track where you can let its gifts of braking, cornering, and balance shine

Geofux

Ready to race!
I prefer driving a GTI vs a 987 Boxster S, personally.. The Boxster S has a decent amount of power and is fun to drive for about 5 seconds... and then I wish I was back in the GTI or in a 911..

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
well this isn't entirely true...the boxster is lighter in most cases...power is equal to a stage 1 gti...drivetrain loss on a rear wheels drive car is actually about 3-5% more, however the boxster being a rear engine set up will have about the same loss as a fwd car....and no company posts a drag coefficient

most Porsche's honestly are not all that fast in a straight line...they are made to be driven on a technical track where you can let its gifts of braking, cornering, and balance shine

Thread title says stock GTI vs. Boxster. So the ever-present "stage 1 is fastAr" doesn't apply to this thread.

You're right on the drivetrain loss, my bad.

All documentation I can find points to the 987 having a drag coefficient of 0.29. The GTI is documented with a drag coefficient of 0.31. Additionally, the GTI is about 8" taller than a Boxster, so it has a larger frontal area. This means it takes more power to push the GTI along at higher speeds.... the drag force should be about 25% higher on the GTI at speed.

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
Thread title says stock GTI vs. Boxster. So the ever-present "stage 1 is fastAr" doesn't apply to this thread.

You're right on the drivetrain loss, my bad.

All documentation I can find points to the 987 having a drag coefficient of 0.29. The GTI is documented with a drag coefficient of 0.31. Additionally, the GTI is about 8" taller than a Boxster, so it has a larger frontal area. This means it takes more power to push the GTI along at higher speeds.... the drag force should be about 25% higher on the GTI at speed.

i wasn't arguing for a stage one car...i just pointed that out as a note as far as hp...i could care less about what a stage 1 car will run to be honest

thats interesting on the drag coef...i am surprised it is actually that similar seeing how the boxster is much lower and sleeker in general