GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Black Forest Industries DSG Shift Knob Installation/Review

Vaalbara

So, i couldn't find ANY material that was worthwhile for the MK6 GTI, almost everything was MK7 for whatever reason. So, while i did not take photos as i was constantly back and forth tryna get this done before dark (didn't happen by the way).

So, here we go!

Ease of installation: 3/10
Quality: 8/10
Functionality: 7/10
Looks: 10/10

Overall Impression: 7/10

So, from start to finish, here are the instructions on how to put this little bastard in. Keep in mind you have to have the ignition on, NOT ENGINE, and the knob in neutral to start.

1. Use any prying tool, i used a flathead screwdriver, to pry underneath the silver DSG logo piece of plastic on top of the knob itself. It should pop off fairly easily from just pushing the head beneath it, without much need for actual leverage.

2. You'll see a white tab that's attached to your front button (Autobahn edition, cant be sure it isnt a side button for base, but it should be the same concept). Push the gear selector button in, and carefully push the white tab off the bar. It might take a little force, but its pretty straightforward.

3. You can use your prying tool here, but i got it off with my hands just fine. Reach in front of the plate with all your icons on it for gear selection, and peel upwards. There are 2 clips holding this piece in on the front, and 2 on the back, but it comes off super easy. You should see a black wire connected to it from underneath once done, and the metal components that actually do the dirty work.

4. Go ahead and disconnect the wire where it plugs into the plate by depressing the little black tab on the side of the connector, and wiggling it back and forth until it slides out. This will give you a little more working room for the next few steps.

5. There is a small oval looking plate at the bottom of the shaft where your knob is attached that you will have to apply a bit of force to pull up. It doesn't take the hulk so don force it, but it does take some pressure. You'll hear and feel a ting when you've gotten it.

6. This part is what most people said was the hardest part, but i learned that is not the case. With the plate pulled up, you can pull up on your whole shift knob to remove it from the shaft completely, which you will want to do. Again, doesnt take the hulk, but definitely requires some force.

7. This is where my installation ease took a turn. The MK7 knob is attached by a little clip that can easily be pried off. The MK6? Its glued on. With a lot of fucking glue. And unless you want to order a new shift boot from BFI, about $80 and not even the same color as the interior trim, you'll be re-using this. A heat gun would be useful but i did not have one, and just used that handy flathead to pry the plastic up and in turn, dis-adhere the glue from the plastic bit itself. This took a solid hour and a completely broken OEM retainer. With a heat gun, it may be possible to loosen up the glue enough to not destroy it, but even then, this is some serious adhesive. Be sure not to poke a hole in your shift boot trying to pry it up, as some force is SERIOUSLY required to get this SOB off.

8. Installation is simple from here out. Drop your BFI adapter piece onto the shaft and screw the top set screw into the gap in that white piece, as close to the top as possible to make sure when you pull up, you actually pull this clip and can change gears.

9. Screw the set screws at the base in little by little all the way around to make sure you dont bind and can actually pull up, they dont have to be completely screwed in, and cant be, honestly, it just wont work that way. Once you get it in a comfortable position, move to step 10!

10. Place the leather shift boot over the shaft and get it over the little rim above the 4 bottom set screws if possible. If not, you'll have some excess leather and will have to apply a little extra elbow grease to get the knob on, but it wont hurt anything. Might be a tad bit of the boot bunching up if you do it this way, but again, wont hurt anything.

11. Use the supplied zip tie to secure the boot into place on the shaft and clip the end as close to the shaft as possible, as to avoid any protruding bumps once you put the whole assembly back together.

12. At this point, you can push your plastic plate back into place, and it will snap in just as easy as it came out.

13. Screw the shift knob onto the threads at the top of the adapter, which should be poking out of the top of the boot. If you didn't manage to get the leather over the rim, you'll have to push pretty hard to get the threads started, as they are towards the top of the ball and it will hit the zip tie not allowing it to go further.

14. If needed, use an allen wrench (metric 4 i believe) to loosen the screw on top of the knob, and rotate the outer cuff if you got a leather knob so that the seam is where you want it to be. Removing the screw allows it to rotate freely of the actually knob itself so you dont unthread it.

15. Once you have it where you want it, re-insert the screw and slap that fancy BFI crest on the top by removing the 3M tape and CAREFULLY placing it. It is recessed so you kinda only get one shot unless you somehow manage to pry it back up without breaking it.

And VOILA, you're done. It's really not that hard outside of putting the hands to your gluey as frick retainer ring. All in all, if i didnt spend almost 30 minutes prying that apart, it'd be a 1.

The knob itself has a nice weight to it and makes manual shifting so much more satisfying. It also adds a really nice touch to the interior and ties it all together. Is it worth $180? Personally, i say no, but its on there and its NOT coming back off any time soon. But if you just have to have an aftermarket shifter and are like me and need to get rid of that plastic golf ball, this is for you.

I might try to take some pictures for reference but right now its late, but if this gets any traction, i might update it. Thanks for reading!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Installtion is a pain in my eyes from the standpoint of getting the 4 setscrews on tight enough where the knob doesn't just slide around, but not too tight where you can't pull up on it to shift out of park. What a pain in the ass that was. LOL

Vaalbara

Installtion is a pain in my eyes from the standpoint of getting the 4 setscrews on tight enough where the knob doesn't just slide around, but not too tight where you can't pull up on it to shift out of park. What a pain in the ass that was. LOL

I cant even imagine trying to get that shit right with loctite setting.