GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 2+ kit installed! Some thoughts...

9V7W3

Ready to race!
So as of yesterday, after a very long stock 8,000 miles, my R is now stage 2+ (APR Intercooler, Fuel Pump, VWR Intake, Full APR RSC exhaust diamond black, APR Stage 2 Flash).. I just wanted to take a few minutes to share what I now experience, and hope to hear some thoughts from other stage 2+ R's..

First of all, HUGE difference in power and smoothness throughout the whole range, but especially above 3K.. In sixth gear at 3K it pulls harder than it did stock in fourth.. I wanted to jump on the DynoJet but the shop didn't have time after the install so I don't have exact numbers, but they told me the same setup in a different R pulled 312HP at the wheels.. (figuring 350-360 crank?) I think I can deal with that until the stage 3 kit becomes more affordable..

The VWR intake... WOW, what an AMAZING sound that thing creates.. Sounds like some space ship from an old sci-fi movie taking off, even at light throttle.. Definitely also amplifies the DV dumping..

I love the sound quality (tone) of the RSC exhaust, and I'm sure it has something to do with the huge power increase, but I'm almost positive that it's not much louder than the stock exhaust. I could be wrong, being that I haven't been behind the car at WOT, but the in cabin noise seemed to actually DECREASE... My buddy even said when I'm on the phone using the built in Bluetooth that the engine noise is quieter on his end. I didn't even rip out the vibrator behind the firewall yet. Under most conditions, such as cruising around town, I can clearly hear the VWR intake over the exhaust. I don't know how this is possible, but congrats APR.. It's nice to come home at night with over 300 to the wheels and NOT wake up all my neighbors.. They used to call me "Mr. 6AM rumble truck" :lol:

Overall, I couldn't be happier.. But feeling how well the car responded to the extra power just makes me want more! It feels like it even shifts smoother than before. I loved the car stock for the way it handles and ride quality, but it did feel a little on the heavy side being so de-tuned. After spending 40K on the car, I was slightly dissapointed with its performance, but this is DEFINITELY how the car should perform off the lot..

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
awesome to hear!! sounds like a blast with the mods. :thumbup:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Golf R Stage 2+ is utterly amazing!

JTB488

Vibrator behind the firewall?? I didn't think that did that crap anymore.
Enjoy the extra power, sounds awesome.

tamz273

Ready to race!
I conquer! LOVE my Stage2+, and Im running a very similar mod list as you.. Congrats man!!

allset

Go Kart Champion
nice. still cant believe the R doesnt come with a HPFP. the mk5 FSI needed the same HPFP for upgrades, yet the R is branded with TSI on the engine cover.....Hmmmmmmm..... bait and switch?

Anyway, good deal OP, keep posting updates on how it performs.

SRT2GTI

Banned
and no pics of said stage 2+ R? You should be ashamed of yourself.

9V7W3

Ready to race!
and no pics of said stage 2+ R? You should be ashamed of yourself.

Haha, I had a feeling that would come up.. Well it will have to wait until tomorrow.

As I was driving around last night I noticed my left headlight aimed low and unusually far to the right. When I looked at the front of the car I noticed the driver side of the bumpers body line was not matching up with the fender or headlight, and the headlight was in a noticeably different position than the pass side, so I dropped it off at the dealer to get looked at.

Apparently, the way the intercooler was mounted, it was sticking out 5MM to far for the bumper to properly re-attach to the car, I guess in turn causing them to misalign the headlight assembly. Tomorrow morning they are going to adjust the radiator/bumper supports so that it fits correctly. Now am I the only one that has a fitment issue with the APR intercooler or did anyone else have this experience??

Don't worry, already contacted the shop who did the work and they are hopefully going to give me some $$ back or a credit towards my friends ECU upgrade or something...

9V7W3

Ready to race!
Vibrator behind the firewall?? I didn't think that did that crap anymore.
Enjoy the extra power, sounds awesome.

Honestly, If I hadn't read in the forums about it, I probably would never have cared.. Apparently though they are still using them in the R's in the US market.. Whatever sound it's making doesn't really bother me though, but when I have the time I will probably rip it out, or install a kill switch for it, just to have something extra to play with :D

9V7W3

Ready to race!
nice. still cant believe the R doesnt come with a HPFP. the mk5 FSI needed the same HPFP for upgrades, yet the R is branded with TSI on the engine cover.....Hmmmmmmm..... bait and switch?

Anyway, good deal OP, keep posting updates on how it performs.

From what I understand, the engine in my R is a strengthened FSI engine, not TSI like the engine cover states.. I believe they just slapped those on there to avoid having to produce a new cover just for 2500 cars..

allset

Go Kart Champion
From what I understand, the engine in my R is a strengthened FSI engine, not TSI like the engine cover states.. I believe they just slapped those on there to avoid having to produce a new cover just for 2500 cars..

yeah depends on what u read and from waht source,the Golf R has an EA113-series engine found in the Audi S3 and TT-S; it is similar to the FSI engine found in the MkV GTI. Even though the Golf R's 2.0T is badged 'TSI', it is not the updated EA888-series engine so not a true TSI .

Last edited:

allset

Go Kart Champion
Hey OP- what did u pay total; tax tags, etc. out the door $? (car not mods)

9V7W3

Ready to race!
Hey OP- what did u pay total; tax tags, etc. out the door $? (car not mods)

Whatever the sticker was for the fully loaded (Sunroof/Nav/Dynaudio package) 2DR in CSG... They didn't budge at all... I think all said and done was $39.5K and change... Plus got a 5 year rim/tire warranty for $950... Full coverage..

TEFF

godfather
yeah depends on what u read and from waht source,the Golf R has an EA113-series engine found in the Audi S3 and TT-S; it is similar to the FSI engine found in the MkV GTI. Even though the Golf R's 2.0T is badged 'TSI', it is not the updated EA888-series engine so not a true TSI .

I agree & confirm