GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which Generation GTI Reigns Supreme?

Tech72

Ready to race!
The GTI has been with us for 40 years and 7 generations, modernizing with the times, but (mostly) staying true to its original mission of being uncompromisingly fun and practical. It's an icon, but of the seven iterations built, which generation is the best? Carfection has an opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-eF3JNFNLM

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Bastards hating on the mk4, and has no mention of the 20th anni or 337 or 12v/24v.

Mk5 is my least favorite GTI though, I don't like them at all. I had a mk4 when the mk5s came out, and I actually quit following VW for a while after that. Then I had no idea the mk6s were out and I saw one driving down the road one day, and I knew I had to have one.

luvdagators

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for posting this, enjoyed the video
I agree with most of the review. I have owned a mk2 16 valve gti and loved the car and regret I ever let it go.
Currently own a mk4 gti. Love the car nice 1.8t engine never failed me at 160k but the interiors of these cars are shit. Terrible leaking sunroofs, sagging headliners, doorcards complete interior trash.
Love my mk6 autobahn gti to death....No complaints
I know the mk7 is a nice car upgraded from mk6 so...........
Ranking them I will go with..........
Mk2
Mk1
Mk6 and Mk7 Tied
Mk5
Mk4
Mk3 is dead last
Mk3 worst of the bunch for me
Just my humble opinion

The mK5 is a PIVOTAL car. I had one for nearly 2 years and it was a bit of a headache maintenance wise, but I will never forget how that car opened my eyes to a properly sorted fwd machine. The mk5 can happily trudge along in 2016 as a properly modern sophisticated car, STILL.

The mk6 and mk7 would not be the great cars they are, if it wasn't for the mk5.

zrickety

The Fixer
The mk6 is just a cheaper, re-skinned mk5. So on that, the mk7 does not impress me. The PP with LSD is cool but anyone can add those to any gen. The mk4 started things for me and the 5 was better in every way except the headliner.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
MKI - Icon.

MKII- Not a bad Icon, but second parts are not as good as the original ones.

MKII- Upscale at the time, heavy.

MKIV- Turrrrrrrbo! 1.8T / R32 intro

MKV- Second most important GEN for contemporary VW Golf History, the German F355 ! ;)

MKVI- Definitely benchmark for any hatch in the market during its time, this has to be first most important.

MKVII- time will tell, away to much Audi product, pending identity, will get better with the years..

steve9842015

Passed Driver's Ed
Love the MK1 look.

I much prefer the body style of the MKVI over the MKVII.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I'm partial to the one I have, but I'm sure I'd enjoy any one of them. Some of the comments regarding the steering on the MkI and MkII don't really make me feel terribly enthusiastic about them. That's one of the things I hate about some old cars... so-so steering.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Mk5 is my least favorite GTI though, I don't like them at all. I had a mk4 when the mk5s came out, and I actually quit following VW for a while after that. Then I had no idea the mk6s were out and I saw one driving down the road one day, and I knew I had to have one.

It's funny because you are literally driving a MK5 with a different body right now lol

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
The mk5 is just so damn ugly. I'll never get over that.

Philimon

Ready to race!
The mk6 is just a cheaper, re-skinned mk5. So on that, the mk7 does not impress me. The PP with LSD is cool but anyone can add those to any gen. The mk4 started things for me and the 5 was better in every way except the headliner.

All true except mk7 IS a complete upgrade with factory optional beast mode PP w LSD. True heavyweight champion. Wait, isn't it lighter than mkvi though?

Plus mkv skin is greater than mkvi skin.

It's funny because you are literally driving a MK5 with a different body right now lol

Well, let's not forget the mk6's better dampers/ springs/ sways, electronic lsd, and the cam-follower-less TSI motor..

I've owned both. The mk5 opened my eyes; the mk6 opens my eyes every day..still.

As for outright performance, chk lightning lap stats below... 6 second difference between an mk5 (#174) and the 2010 mk6 (#162)

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...results-historical-lap-times-and-more-feature

That's one phenomenal "RESKIN" :thumbsup:

Last edited:

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I agree that the MK5 is fugly as hell. Also a reason I never cared for VWs until the 6 hit. The front end is just so damn bland and dull, it looks nothing like an exciting car. The 6 improved it dramatically and the 7 ran with it.
I enjoy the boxy look on the MK4s and for an older car, of that year, it's still the better of most of what was out back then. My wife has a mk4 Jetta and while like others mentioned, the interior is crazy delicate, it's still decent for it's time. I just will never get over the cup holder idea, horrendous.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I just will never get over the cup holder idea, horrendous.

Rofl, I put an extra large cup from taco bell in the cup holder once. Then immediately after leaving the parking lot I punched it...Yea, that ended up all over this girls lap and she wasn't happy.