GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dude's R Build

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Latest rattle fixed with this ghetto mod:

Used a tiny bit of gorilla tape and it no longer sounds like my passenger door is falling off on rough roads. I'd say it's 95% better. Still a tiny rattle that o think I'd have to yank the door panel off to get to it. Maybe another day.

Be careful doing this. I did the same and once the sticky part of the tape gets into the door latch it ends up screwing the latch up. I had two door latches fail because of the tape. Fail as in the door wouldn't latch anymore and everytime I closed the door I'd have to beat on the latch and slam the door to get it to close :mad:

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
It's actually not wax. It is a coating and I'm getting the "UK" version, which is the best one you can get for harsh winters:

"CQuartz UK was developed in the United Kingdom for use in cold, damp climates where most nanotechnology coatings typically struggle. A new fast flashing carrier was used to enhance curing in difficult conditions, and the silica-quartz content was increased to a scarcely believable 70% creating an even harder and purer glass layer. These enhancements allowed CQ UK to be easily applied in temperatures as low as 41-degrees Fahrenheit (5-Degrees Celsius), with even higher levels of beauty and protection, making it the unofficial pinnacle of our consumer CQuartz line."

I had Opti-Coat done last summer and it failed this past winter so my detailer is hooking me up. I'll be throwing him a fat tip for it through.

so its like a super wax? thats sweet, i wish i could do that to my WRX these days...

another bad bridge day, with rock dust showering my car this morning. it always puts a damper on my day. i forgot to wax the front last weekend god dammit..

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
oh this cquartz is something you can do yourself? its only $35..

http://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-paint-sealant.html

weird!

During the first 10 minutes, apply CQuartz to any spots that were missed. After 10 minutes, do not try to re-fill missing spots; it will stain the paint.

wax/coat stains the paint??

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Last edited:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Be careful doing this. I did the same and once the sticky part of the tape gets into the door latch it ends up screwing the latch up. I had two door latches fail because of the tape. Fail as in the door wouldn't latch anymore and everytime I closed the door I'd have to beat on the latch and slam the door to get it to close :mad:

What kind of tape did you use? I'll keep an eye on it. Seems odd.

Last edited:

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Gotcha. I used gorilla tape which is definitely more durable.

Ah OK. It could be different, idk. Just figured I'd give you the heads up. It's very frustrating when your door doesn't latch, and the latch itself is like $160 bucks.

FWIW, I originally did the tape mod because of rattles as well. It did get rid of them, but then messed the latch up. I was able to take the old latch apart, clean it and get it back together and worked fine for like 6 months (with no tape + rattles). Then I got sick of the rattles and tried the tape again and the latch started not working again within 2 weeks. Replaced the entire latch with a new one, without tape, and no more rattles and my door hasn't had any issues latching since.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
You can apply a second coat after an hour or two to get missing spots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rAM78oDffM

watched that entire vid. looks like an easy product to use. but a lot of work, if you have to first wash, clay bar, polish, and then do this clearquartz stuff.

and with the Cali droughts i feel ashamed when the neighbors see me washing my car outside.. i wait until the evening when less people are driving by. and i barely wash it anymore, maybe once every 2 weeks. not like i waste tons of water tho.. i just wet the car.. and later rinse it off.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Ah OK. It could be different, idk. Just figured I'd give you the heads up. It's very frustrating when your door doesn't latch, and the latch itself is like $160 bucks.

FWIW, I originally did the tape mod because of rattles as well. It did get rid of them, but then messed the latch up. I was able to take the old latch apart, clean it and get it back together and worked fine for like 6 months (with no tape + rattles). Then I got sick of the rattles and tried the tape again and the latch started not working again within 2 weeks. Replaced the entire latch with a new one, without tape, and no more rattles and my door hasn't had any issues latching since.
Appreciate the heads up, I'll be monitoring for sure. Glad your rattles are fixed:thumbsup:

watched that entire vid. looks like an easy product to use. but a lot of work, if you have to first wash, clay bar, polish, and then do this clearquartz stuff.

and with the Cali droughts i feel ashamed when the neighbors see me washing my car outside.. i wait until the evening when less people are driving by. and i barely wash it anymore, maybe once every 2 weeks. not like i waste tons of water tho.. i just wet the car.. and later rinse it off.

Oh yeah, that drought... that's rough man. The deal is that you'll be washing less after the application as less dirt will stick to the paint though.

McQueen77

Banned
That things looks rad man. I haven't read back in your thread but I assume you are keeping this mule for a while? I cracked up at the electrical tape on the door latch. I did that exact thing with my GTI. What on earth is it with the rattles and the striker plates and latches on those cars?? It's bizarre. Only car Ive ever had with such maddening little issues. The electrical tape will eventually wear out and get glue and shit everywhere but it will work for a while.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
That things looks rad man. I haven't read back in your thread but I assume you are keeping this mule for a while? I cracked up at the electrical tape on the door latch. I did that exact thing with my GTI. What on earth is it with the rattles and the striker plates and latches on those cars?? It's bizarre. Only car Ive ever had with such maddening little issues. The electrical tape will eventually wear out and get glue and shit everywhere but it will work for a while.

I do have a "feeler" for sale thread on vortex that's been up there for a while. Nigerians seem very interested in it but seem to need a $5k deposit from me in order to buy it. I'm currently looking into low interest loans so I can afford to help them buy it from me.

Truth is that rattles will remain the bain of my existence for a while longer. This car is going no where.

McQueen77

Banned
I do have a "feeler" for sale thread on vortex that's been up there for a while. Nigerians seem very interested in it but seem to need a $5k deposit from me in order to buy it. I'm currently looking into low interest loans so I can afford to help them buy it from me.

Truth is that rattles will remain the bain of my existence for a while longer. This car is going no where.

Rattles are Mk6 golf chassis specific I think. The Tiguan has zero rattles. If you took all the jap shit boxes I had over the years, all with over 100k miles, put them all together, my GTI would still have rattled more. It was completely maddening.