GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To keep or to sell?

mitsuplexnyc

Ready to race!
Planning on Moving out of NY to Puerto Rico. I have about 1K left on the remainder of my loan to pay off my GTI. 10K left on my Jetta.

Shipping ($1250x2)
Import Duty Taxes GTI ($3400)
Import Duty Taxes Jetta ($2200)
paperwork ($500x2)

This means that this is quite an expensive proposition if I were to ship the cars.

Pro's to keep:
Quick, stylish, I'm familiar w/ most of the general repair to-do's.

Con's: Approaching "dangerous" German Mileage territory (Waterpump, Intake Manifold failures feel like just the tip of the Iceberg), there are but a few VW dealer's in PR, Cost for replacement parts will be more expensive than anything JDM/KDM and i'm going to be paying heavy tax on something i already paid tax on initially.

If I sell my mk6 gti and jetta to carmax or private party, i'm hoping to pick up either a honda fit or Veloster Turbo if I do end up making the move. Seem a bit much to spend all that money on tax to keep the cars at 70K and 45K miles respectively even though i'm just about done paying the GTI off?

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
id sell em both and start building a nissan or something if JDM parts are cheaper there

Taiso0019

Ready to race!
Why a Slowster turbo? And yeah that's pretty damn expensive transaction...at those prices a MK7 sounds better IF it is still reasonably priced to maintain of course....

Good luck on the move!

mitsuplexnyc

Ready to race!
I'm going to take a trip up to Connecticut to have carmax give me an offer

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
In case you haven't been to PR in a while, the current car trend of the island seems to be Mitsubishi Mirages and Lancers. Jeeps are always in trend there. I'd grab a Jeep! :D

Sebastian89

Ready to race!
I honestly don't know how much you'll drive your car once in PR... I'd take no car payments over going through the process of buying a new car over there, or even a used one that you don't know much about any day...
Look at it this way. Lets say you sell your GTI for 15k. Then get there and buy another car for 10k. you might end up putting another 7 in that one. And the headaches that it would give you might outweigh the pro's of not having to deal with the paperwork.
Second scenario. Do your tensioner and other necessary maintenance before you leave, spend the 5k, and then don't have to worry about any other expenses for a while... I highly doubt you'll put more than 10k miles per year there.... so an oil change every six months or so, and be good for another couple of years before you spend any money on it...
That's what I'd personally do
Either way, good luck to you, and I'm jealous!!!

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Sell them both.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
BTW, what area you moving to PR? If your going to Aguada or Aguadilla, a car with low profiles will be murdered. That's one of reason Jeeps are king down there. The roads are as bad if not worse than Jersey in some areas. lol

mitsuplexnyc

Ready to race!
Seriously, the roads are crazy. I have family in cabo rojo but I'm planning on going to rincon.
I love the way my gti experience has been so far but I definitely see why jeeps are king down there. I'm also wondering about selling it for an older, fun reliable Jdm car in the states that won't murder me on import duties over there. Put it this way, a frs from scions pure price program is about 31k new over there. That's nearly 6k difference Apples to apples compared to here

BarryT82

Go Kart Champion
Sell them both and buy a beater. People will hit your cars and not think twice about it. I've seen it happen many times in PR.

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
Sell and buy an old (read 1978) Dodge Ramcharger - or equivalent. You can take the roof off and the truck is Katz-Ass! It was my first car and i still love it. Maintenance is a breeze, you can do it yourself. You'll likely have no rust on one of the old cars down there and it would be fun to get some big knobby tires, paint the shit flat green/black and put a gun rack on 'er. LOL, just kidding i don't know

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
In case you haven't been to PR in a while, the current car trend of the island seems to be Mitsubishi Mirages and Lancers. Jeeps are always in trend there. I'd grab a Jeep! :D

fuck yeah build a mirage evo coupe like on the smoking tire