GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Detune for roadtrip?

Korydogg

Ready to race!
In about a month I am going to be driving from Sacramento to Kentucky.....and then back again. I just got the cobb access port and will be stage 1 with stratified tune. I'm also installing a DV+ and R8 coils.

Its been awhile since I've headed east but if I remember, 91 octane isn't offered at all gas stations....with some only having 89 as their highest octane rating. 91 is pretty common in California and its not something I have ever worried about.

For those that live in Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Indiana and Kentucky.....how hard is it to find 91? Do you think I should just return to stock for the road trip to alleviate any problems?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Since you have the access port you can probably just flash to stock if you cant find any 91

pdan

Ready to race!
^this is what I’m about to do. Driving from PA to Missouri. If I can’t find 93/91 I’ll just switch to stock at the pump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zrickety

The Fixer
The car will detune itself if you run a lower octane...I've dealt with this on K04 when my wife put cheap gas in. I've found 91 across most of the country, you'll see 93 if you're lucky. I wouldn't bother with the program switching.

webbry4

Ready to race!
91 is readily available in Utah as the “premium” the others I’m not sure but I think 91 is pretty common everywhere

gdub09

Ready to race!
I live in the midwest, 91 is available pretty much everywhere except random little no name gas stations in the middle of cornfields.

Phur

Autocross Champion
I live in southern Indiana. You can find 93 at the majority of shell stations around me, the Louisville, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis metro areas. Unless it is really going to be in the middle of nowhere, I don’t think you will have any trouble finding at least 91. As a precaution, on road trips that will find me in unfamiliar territory with very few options for gas, if I am around a half a tank and there are a decent amount of gas stations around I try to score 93.

pdan

Ready to race!
Oh man an app would be great thanks

tanner133

All the way to St. Louis and back (central Kentucky) I had no problems with there being 93 at the stops we made. Only the last few hundred miles of your trip but you should be good to go with 93.

ce4

Ready to race!
91 is extremely common in Kansas/Missouri. I live in Missouri and just got back from a 2 week road trip (MO, KS, CO, NM, AZ, UT and back) with our Tiguan and no problems finding 91. I think we came across one station in Wakeeny, KS that didn't have 91, but the station across the street did!

Korydogg

Ready to race!
Thank you everyone for your responses!!! It looks like I'll have no problem finding what I need!

I'm also looking forward to finding 93 and running a 93 map!

Whoever mentioned that app...I'm gonna try and look for it because that sounds awesome.

pdan

Ready to race!
91 is extremely common in Kansas/Missouri. I live in Missouri and just got back from a 2 week road trip (MO, KS, CO, NM, AZ, UT and back) with our Tiguan and no problems finding 91. I think we came across one station in Wakeeny, KS that didn't have 91, but the station across the street did!

Good to know thanks, about to move out to Kirksville MO

clownish

just clowning around
Pretty much everywhere in the US and Canada has 91, I've driven all over the US and Canada. I usually get annoyed at not finding 93 in parts of Canada and the Western US but that's about it.