GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR K04 issue

shred

I'm occasionally having an issue when going WOT in 2nd gear and when I shift to 3rd I have the gas all the way down but I'm not accelerating. It feels like the the throttle is being limited. I've had this happen during other shifts but it's mostly only 2nd to 3rd. I'm running the APR K04 v3.2 file. Has anyone else had this issue?

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
I'm occasionally having an issue when going WOT in 2nd gear and when I shift to 3rd I have the gas all the way down but I'm not accelerating. It feels like the the throttle is being limited. I've had this happen during other shifts but it's mostly only 2nd to 3rd. I'm running the APR K04 v3.2 file. Has anyone else had this issue?

I saw another thread with folks having the same issue. Not sure if it’s the NLS feature confusing the ECU or not. I can’t remember, but I’m sure you’ll come across the thread if you do a little searching.

I hate intermittent issues like this. Good luck!

shred

I saw another thread with folks having the same issue. Not sure if it’s the NLS feature confusing the ECU or not. I can’t remember, but I’m sure you’ll come across the thread if you do a little searching.

I hate intermittent issues like this. Good luck!

I don't have NLS but I don't know if it is in the software but not enabled and somehow interfering with it. I saw some older threads but none with the same issue I was having. Intermittent issues are the worst might just go with a Stratified protune if I can't resolve this.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Pretty sure it's a ecu/throttle body issue. I have it happen to me every once in awhile when i shift into another gear sometimes there is no throttle till I take my foot off the gas then hit the gas again.

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
Same thing happens to me. Not sure the cause. Have tried a number of things.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie

Hmmm, I'm almost wondering if these are the symptoms that I've been experiencing or different.

I want to say that if I floor it in second, at high RPM it almost feels like there is a power loss until I throw it in third. That or I've already threw it in third and don't realize it, and then am getting what you are explaining...

Just another reason for me to contemplate switching to Unitronic... Bah.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Hmmm, I'm almost wondering if these are the symptoms that I've been experiencing or different.

I want to say that if I floor it in second, at high RPM it almost feels like there is a power loss until I throw it in third. That or I've already threw it in third and don't realize it, and then am getting what you are explaining...

Just another reason for me to contemplate switching to Unitronic... Bah.
It's not tune related it's a ecu/throttle body issue the ecu goes in a soft limp mode. It's not tune related it actually happens to alot of people with all different tunes.

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
Random thought, do any of you use upgraded brake fluid/clutch fluid? I find that it tends to happen more in the winter and I only really noticed it after I switched to rbf600. Maybe if the clutch doesn't engage as quickly due to the higher viscosity fluid, it's a soft limp mode to prevent slipping or damage.

Could be a mere coincidence though. I plan to flush my rbf600 and go back to OEM fluid. I'll let you know if anything changes.

shred

Random thought, do any of you use upgraded brake fluid/clutch fluid? I find that it tends to happen more in the winter and I only really noticed it after I switched to rbf600. Maybe if the clutch doesn't engage as quickly due to the higher viscosity fluid, it's a soft limp mode to prevent slipping or damage.

Could be a mere coincidence though. I plan to flush my rbf600 and go back to OEM fluid. I'll let you know if anything changes.

I have the stock fluid.

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
It's not a k04 problem.. It's an APR in general problem. Overall I like their tune, but I've had this exact issue since 2008 when I was on v1 of the very first tsi tune, and I've had it off and on since. Been through about 8 different versions of tunes as they were up graded, multiple intakes, aftermarket clutch, intercooler, new intake manifold, carbon cleaning, multiple methanol systems, multiple downpipes and exhausts, stage1, , stage2, k04, multiple versions of each etc.

If you catch it on a log, the throttle position stays 100%, and the throttle plate after a quick on/off throttle to shift, the throttle plate goes to about 20% for about 5 seconds if you keep your foot in it, and it ramps slowly to 100% like nothing happend. If you pedal it, its gone immediately, but still fucks up your run. It's super annoying. I think the only way around it would be to go with the NLS option, but I'm not sure if anyone has tested that

zrickety

The Fixer
It may be one of poteniometers (sp?) in the gas pedal...I've been apr k04 v2 for a number of years and never had this issue.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Anyone have Unitronic that can confirm this does not exist? lol

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I have Unitronic and dont have this issue.

Ok next question. I see you are in Jersey... WHERE!!!!??

Lol, I wouldn't mind a test ride to see how it performs. I'm about to call KMD Tuning to see if they offer some kind of test ride in a Uni-tuned GTI prior to pulling the trigger on the switch. It is a lot of $$$ after all to get tuned and I already spent a good chunk on the APR Stage2+ upgrade...

slowgti08

Ready to race!
Ok next question. I see you are in Jersey... WHERE!!!!??

Lol, I wouldn't mind a test ride to see how it performs. I'm about to call KMD Tuning to see if they offer some kind of test ride in a Uni-tuned GTI prior to pulling the trigger on the switch. It is a lot of $$$ after all to get tuned and I already spent a good chunk on the APR Stage2+ upgrade...

Im in North NJ, KMD Tuning actually does all the work on my car. Great ppl there.