GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MASTER CLUTCH APPLICATION GUIDE - WHAT DO WE REALLY NEED?

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I see you're including stock clutch stuff now, you can add me if you'd like:

23k miles stage 1 including 100 octane track days, zero slipping

It sounds like there's very little if any consensus on which aftermarket clutch designs are good and which are just the same crap with different labels... this makes me glad I have not been forced to make a quick decision on a upgrade yet.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion

It sounds like there's very little if any consensus on which aftermarket clutch designs are good and which are just the same crap with different labels... this makes me glad I have not been forced to make a quick decision on a upgrade yet.

added.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion

:word:

butchered by autocorrect

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
only threads, any thing via pm or email is fine.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

That is 100% false. Stop spreading inaccurate information.

ANY use of the site (public forums, PMs, emails) for any commercial purpose is reserved strictly for site sponsors.

Dadasracecar

Ready to race!
I'm currently 90k miles on the stock clutch. Stage 2 since 83k miles. Slight slipping when rolling on in 4th.

2010 GTI 4dr autobahn, APR stg2, AWE tbe, ECS sways, Vogtland springs, SS lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HP+, Unibrace XB, tracked frequently.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
What's wrong with reusing OEM parts? As someone else mentioned, it's based off the OEM design. I don't think a few OEM bolts are the cause or affecting disc failures...

Eactly, the OEM clutches are slipping not exploding. Before any blame for an aftermarket using a design based off the OEM causing issues is doled out there is one important factor that must be addressed which isn't.

What part of the OEM design is the flaw? Is it the pressure plate? The flywheel? The friction disc?

I've said it before and I will say it again and I will continue to say it; this issue does not have a simple 1 answer solution. If the weak point was the pressure plate then people putting in a drop in disc would not be getting results. If it is the flywheel then how come there are people who are keeping the OEM flywheel and not having problems??

And as always I revert back to the same statistical fact.......OEM clutches are not all failing at the same point and the same power levels. Stock car on stock clutch fails at 9000 miles meanwhile you could have a Stage 2 car running the stock clutch for 30,000 miles.

There is clearly more than one issue going on here and it goes past bolt and spring design.

Last edited:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Aftermarket clutch kits are oem but not for our application.

Again referencing this thread:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33625

Stock disc have a floating spline carrier that can compensate for axial misalignment.
This is why the springs pop out.

You said earlier that where one supplier might be faulty (ie southbend), if the other supplier uses the same design methodology (borrow from OEM) then it should be put under the same scrutiny. I think this is a key issue.

Any clutch gurus out there (Dave or Mike) care to comment on specific design features that might differentiate a particular product? For example, if it is the spline carrier that fails in Southend (pre-revision) units, how does your product do it better?

butchered by autocorrect

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
You said earlier that where one supplier might be faulty (ie southbend), if the other supplier uses the same design methodology (borrow from OEM) then it should be put under the same scrutiny. I think this is a key issue.

Any clutch gurus out there (Dave or Mike) care to comment on specific design features that might differentiate a particular product? For example, if it is the spline carrier that fails in Southend (pre-revision) units, how does your product do it better?

butchered by autocorrect

Thicker springs should stay in there better. More support around the edges perhaps.

CM FX350:

Southbend Stage 2 Daily:

Revised Southbend Disc by Exedy:

SACHS OEM+ (the way it should be IMO):

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion