GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just Clowning Around

clownish

just clowning around
The noise doesn't happen to be a creaking noise when turning stationary when it's hot AF out is it? My PSS's are making the same noise. Changed the strut bearing already with no change, going change the actual mounts now and see what happens. I have the TT mounts and bought the 034's..

Car looks good though sir!

It's more of an impact noise when I hit imperfections on the road - very noisy since installing these LCAs. Could be related to heat but I don't really think so. Pretty sure it's my strut. Considering upping the ante with some
pSS10s to get the dampening adjustment while I am at it.

Thanks! I keep looking at new wheels...

Next up is intake manifold replacement (that's why my CEL is on) and maybe a carbon clean if it needs it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clownish

just clowning around
With the lead time to get my strut repaired by Bilstien being a few weeks, I've gotten impatient and ordered a set of PSS10s. Once they come in and get installed, I'll send out the PSS coilovers and get them repaired. Possibly revalve them to a higher dampening rate so that rebound and compression are higher. Debating getting some Passat spindles, adjustable endlinks, some of other assorted suspension bits since we're doing so much at once. Hopefully this will clean up the front end, clean up the dampening at high speed, and get rid of that infernal rattle from the strut leaking.

clownish

just clowning around

Time passing pretty quickly. Err... Milage.

zrickety

The Fixer
Bring it in for that free manifold, I'm 50k past you.

clownish

just clowning around
Bring it in for that free manifold, I'm 50k past you.

My local dealership wouldn't cover it - I already bought the parts to install, just need to get it done. Not that I trust them to install it anyways.

I did get the PSS10/B16s installed - now to get the old PSS/B14s refinished and hopefully revalved. Between the new coils and a new alignment the car is pretty awesome again. I have the height set the same and the dampening turned to 9/10 which is about the highest I'd go I think.

Also swapped the 034 strut mounts and bearings for TTS mounts - hopefully OEM lasts longer and doesn't make squeaky noises like the OEM GTI ones did originally. It's been about 50k mi so I figured might as well since the entire suspension was out of the car already.

Old front struts to be rebuilt.

Necessary.

Last edited:

clownish

just clowning around
Well my old fronts are leaking from the chrome inserts so they're not warranty-able nor are they worth repairing. Having them shipped back and I'll probably just have it as spares in case of any failure. Bleh. Or sell it off super cheap, since the rears are effective.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Well my old fronts are leaking from the chrome inserts so they're not warranty-able nor are they worth repairing. Having them shipped back and I'll probably just have it as spares in case of any failure. Bleh. Or sell it off super cheap, since the rears are effective.

Not repairable? That doesn't inspire much confidence in Bilstein.

clownish

just clowning around
Yep, they were awful to deal with in my experience as well. Lifetime warranty is shit.

Agreed. I'll go KW or BC next I think. Maybe ine of the new guys like Fortune or MFactory if I feel adventurous.

Not repairable? That doesn't inspire much confidence in Bilstein.

Apparently they don't stock the parts needed and if they don't stock them it isn't covered under warranty. Choices were to rebuild at my cost or buy new fronts at my cost.

Since I already bought new coils I just gave up. If anyone wants a good set of rears and just wants to rebuild, lemme know - I'll let it all go for $100 or so which is basically shipping plus $50, which covers my cost for shipping to Bilstien in the first place...

In more interesting topics, I got bored and ordered some more brake pieces. Fabless Manufacturing just fabbed up some rear brackets for 17z calipers that appear to be bolt on. So the spring project is on.

Mk6 bolt on brackets for 17z rear calipers and a Wilwood spot caliper for ebrake.

Wilwood spot calipers for ebrake only

Swapping to Golf R rear rotors

17z rear calipers from Tourag/Q7/Cayenne - mine are from a junked Q7. To be rebuilt and painted - here I just got a little chemical high from using a few cans of brake cleaner and a wire brush on them.

While I am at it, I got some new front rotors. No one makes aftermarket rotors for TTRS fronts so I might have two TTRS front brake kits to flip if anyone is interested. Anyways, cost of OE rotors has gone up but my current set lasted almost 2 years of abuse so I can't fault it. And they're not quite gone, just felt like bringing in some new clean rotors.

-----
My mental checklist here for the coming weeks.

- replace intake manifold for echeck (P2015)
- carbon clean while we're in there
- add 02 spacer for echeck
- prep for painting 17z and ebrake calipers
- order some high temp vinyl brembo stickers
- adjust coilover dampening
- adjust swaybar settings
- paint caliper brackets? If so, need more paint.

Last edited:

clownish

just clowning around
Replaced intake manifold and carbon cleaning. Fun fact: walnut blasting disagrees with me a LOT. Something to do with being allergic to walnuts [emoji849]

Set readiness in the next few days, pass e check and re-register the cars so I can focus on the fun stuff. This was the first time I'd had to deal with Echeck here in Ohio since I have a '13. Add the O2 spacer, drop the car into stock file and drive around till everything sets readiness.

Also double checked my tensioner and it's an updated version - my build date is mid 2012.

Last edited:

clownish

just clowning around
Calipers cleaned up and prepped for painting and rebuilding. Before:

After wire wheel, soda blasting, and a few hours of scrubbing, they're clear of old dust and grime.

All the takeoffs from stripping the brake calipers tossed in a bucket with degreaser and cleaner.

Primer on the new brake brackets to start easy.

Almost ready to start in on the calipers - a set of 17z rears, ebrake spot calipers and the brackets themselves.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Calipers cleaned up and prepped for painting and rebuilding. Before:

After wire wheel, soda blasting, and a few hours of scrubbing, they're clear of old dust and grime.

All the takeoffs from stripping the brake calipers tossed in a bucket with degreaser and cleaner.

Primer on the new brake brackets to start easy.

Almost ready to start in on the calipers - a set of 17z rears, ebrake spot calipers and the brackets themselves.

Woot woot!

clownish

just clowning around
Rear brackets for my rear BBK painted and dried. Spent at least 10 hours cleaning used 17z rear calipers from a Q7 to prep for paint. Rinse, wire wheel, rinse, wire brush, dry w/ air compressor, rinse, degreaser, soda blast, rinse, degreaser, rinse. Dry with propane torch just to make sure everything is dried. Rounds and rounds before finally wiping down for paint.

Spent under 30 minutes actually painting with a cheap $40 amazon paint gun. Now drying...

Spot caliper for ebrake and heat shield from main calipers.

Prepped main rear 17z calipers

Looks like a bumper cover for a RV car?

Spot caliper taken apart to paint

Shims from spot caliper

Last edited: