GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Problem Dealer Can't Diagnose

Spooled24

Ready to race!
That might be bad, for warranty and mods.
I know I don't want to get flagged. So if its not fixed by Friday I might just take it back. The dealer was pretty adamant about keeping the car until its fixed.

Lol?

Things I'd check for...

Oil sensor
Ignition system/starter/immobilizer
Fuel pump check valve and pressure sensor (the thing that primes the fuel pump and fueling system when you open your door), but I'm not 100% these HPFPs on the TSI have a similar system to the MKV FSI HPFPs
Intake throttle body
Intake valves for carbon build up, but at 14k miles seems a bit of a stretch.
Tune, return to your tuner and explain you've had some issues. See if something is funky with the port flash burn they did, as I assume they likely didn't open up your ECU to wire in the resistor like they did a few years ago.

I trust you've scanned it with Vagcom for codes and none were present?

Yeah I feel like the fuel pump isn't priming properly. So it could be those sensors. If I get the car back I am going to take it to the place where I got tuned and talk to them about it. I also want to get NGK sparks just in case too. I unfortunately do not have Vagcom.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Spark plugs will not make your car take longer to start. Neither will coils. And since they changed both of your pumps, I don't think that is the problem. I'm guessing the car drives normal and has good power after it's running, correct?

I'm leaning towards the fuel pump prime or some sort of electrical issue. Do you hear the pump prime when you open the door? And if you start it once and it takes a while, can you shut it off and then turn it on right after that and have it start normal? Or does it take a while even when started multiple times in a row?

I know years ago there was a guy over on vortex whose pump was not priming when he opened the door, causing the car to take longer to start. I can't really remember what his outcome was though.

EDIT: HERE'S THE THREAD Apparently someone else had it and it was the low pressure pump. Make sure they actually changed what they said they did and didn't just do some bullshit test and move on.

Spooled24

Ready to race!
Spark plugs will not make your car take longer to start. Neither will coils. And since they changed both of your pumps, I don't think that is the problem. I'm guessing the car drives normal and has good power after it's running, correct?

I'm leaning towards the fuel pump prime or some sort of electrical issue. Do you hear the pump prime when you open the door? And if you start it once and it takes a while, can you shut it off and then turn it on right after that and have it start normal? Or does it take a while even when started multiple times in a row?

I know years ago there was a guy over on vortex whose pump was not priming when he opened the door, causing the car to take longer to start. I can't really remember what his outcome was though.

EDIT: HERE'S THE THREAD Apparently someone else had it and it was the low pressure pump. Make sure they actually changed what they said they did and didn't just do some bullshit test and move on.

I feel like you are right as well cause I read about the pump not priming on other forums and I specifically listened for it to prime when I would open the door and heard nothing. Also I would turn the car on accessory and then shut it off, then turn it back on accessory and then fire it up and it would start up much better. It will be sporadic when it starts hard and then starts perfectly. So I agree. When the dealer calls I will ask them to look at this today. Thanks for the response and the other thread. I feel like people never post their outcomes about these issues on the forums lol. So hopefully I can get this issue solved sooner rather than later cause I miss my GTI.

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
I would really listen to Ken's Response above about it possibly being tune related. He is a service advisor at a VW dealership and had exp. problems starting on his APR tune before working as a service advisor and now not only see's the problems from both sides but exp it himself.

In the end it was the APR tune causing his starting issues, and it was a long chase to figure this out...I wish this forum did not have such a boner for APR, as when this issue went down with Arin at APR, a lot of the threads were covered up and or deleted due to the bad mouthing(on both sides) and for utter lack of customer service on APR's part *hell with the new regime in place might get banned for just saying that* aka the truth!

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
I would really listen to Ken's Response above about it possibly being tune related. He is a service advisor at a VW dealership and had exp. problems starting on his APR tune before working as a service advisor and now not only see's the problems from both sides but exp it himself.

In the end it was the APR tune causing his starting issues, and it was a long chase to figure this out...I wish this forum did not have such a boner for APR, as when this issue went down with Arin at APR, a lot of the threads were covered up and or deleted due to the bad mouthing(on both sides) and for utter lack of customer service on APR's part *hell with the new regime in place might get banned for just saying that* aka the truth!

Lol :)
I would have posted my above response regardless of it being an APR or other tune. OP, I would suggest having the dealer reflash the ecm or if they wish not to then take the car back to your tuner and have them reflash the factory file.

Spooled24

Ready to race!
Lol :)
I would have posted my above response regardless of it being an APR or other tune. OP, I would suggest having the dealer reflash the ecm or if they wish not to then take the car back to your tuner and have them reflash the factory file.

I will ask about the fuel pump priming and then go get it reflashed.

Spooled24

Ready to race!
So quick update. Dealer called me and they getting me a brand new ecm for the car. I guess I will go back to the place I got it tuned and get it reflashed when I get it back. So it seems the ECU was the problem most likely, however we will know for sure this weekend or Monday. Thanks for all of the responses guys.

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
So quick update. Dealer called me and they getting me a brand new ecm for the car. I guess I will go back to the place I got it tuned and get it reflashed when I get it back. So it seems the ECU was the problem most likely, however we will know for sure this weekend or Monday. Thanks for all of the responses guys.

Would of bet a lot of money it was that APR tune :cool:

PS to avoid being banned, i have an APR tune on my car

Last edited:

TesseracT

Passed Driver's Ed

Sorry if you mentioned this elsehwere, but was the long crank you were experiencing intermittent or a consistent issue?

More specifically: did it happen every time you started the car or was it seemingly random?

Spooled24

Ready to race!
Sorry if you mentioned this elsehwere, but was the long crank you were experiencing intermittent or a consistent issue?

More specifically: did it happen every time you started the car or was it seemingly random?

It would be sporadic, not every time, but frequently.

Spooled24

Ready to race!
Would of bet a lot of money it was that APR tune :cool:

PS to avoid being banned, i have an APR tune on my car

Yeah I think it was just that the tune was maybe flashed improperly to the car. So in my opinion its the place where I got it flashed at. Like I said I am going to get reflashed. I have always liked APRs tune the best. Had on my MKV before the MK6. The car will feel so different when I get back from the dealership. I basically have a new car lol. New fuel pumps, injectors, and an ecm lol.

Jaber

Modero
Hopefully new ECU solves your issue.

But based on your first post, surprised going back to stock wasn't the first course of action, considering you stated the issue surfaced day after getting tuned.

So I tuned my car Stage 1 APR and a day after when I start my car, I now have longer than normal crank times. I changed my coil packs to the R8 red top ones. However, I did not change my spark plugs out. I have less than 13K miles. I still have long crank times but it happens every now and then. Should I replace the spark plugs? Or is it a fuel pump issue?

Spooled24

Ready to race!
Hopefully new ECU solves your issue.

But based on your first post, surprised going back to stock wasn't the first course of action, considering you stated the issue surfaced day after getting tuned.

Yeah at first I didn't think that was the issue based on all of the other threads I read about people having this same problem, most people said it was a fuel pump problem. So when I took the car for an oil change I wanted to kill two birds with one stone, but I had no idea it would take them a week to figure it out. But hey I got brand new parts out of it so thats the silver lining in the whole ordeal. The tune was the last resort and it just ended up being that most likely. But I still have yet to get the car back so I will know 100 percent if that was the issue. I have seen many threads like this where no one finishes how their car was fixed with an issue like this so I wanted to share my progress and story in case this happens to anyone else.

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
I wish i could dig up Ken's thread of his issues, it may help the dude above about the sparodic starting issues...